Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear breakdown and loss

Every time Gear breakdown and loss is mentioned you wind up with people saying its a bad system and it should not be in the game.  I personally think that it is a great system and makes crafting relevant but I want to know other people's opinion on it.  I understand that losing your +10 sword of awesome sucks but can you show me a method where you cant lose your loot but crafting weapons and armor is still viable late game? 

Comments

• Options
    It adds to realism, but takes away from playerbase and fun.

I probably won't stick around too long if I have to craft or buy a new weapon every week, and I see this becoming an issue for many others as well.
  • Options
    FliP said:

I probably won't stick around too long if I have to craft or buy a new weapon every week, and I see this becoming an issue for many others as well.
    So you would rather sacrifice a whole subsection of game play so you don't have to deal with a slight inconvenience ?
  • Options
    Gear breaks and can be repaired. It is a gold sink. Gear only has a chance to be destroyed if you die while corrupted. Don't do things that lead to corruption and you have no worries. So far the only way to get corruption is by attacking and killing those that decide to stay green and let you kill them rather than engaging back. So if you persist in attacking people who have no interest in attacking back, you roll them dice.
  • Options
    It will most likely be where you have to get a blacksmith/whatever to repair your weapon.  I can't imagine that they would take away a weapon that just kills fun.
  • Options
    Fortnite is a good example of annoying weapon crafting in mid-game. I rather be able as Chaogoesmu mention to go to a blacksmith and repair my weapons. 
  • Options
    Aghar said:
    FliP said:

So you would rather sacrifice a whole subsection of game play so you don't have to deal with a slight inconvenience ?
    I wouldn't call it "gameplay", that's offensive. Gamebreak sounds more like it.
  • Options
    Item breakage is not a lot of fun, that being said lack of it really kills an economy.

Go find the best, never have to worry till next content patch.

I personally would sacrifice a bit of fun for the realism also. But I am also big into the crafting and economy side of MMO's.

I don't fault those who don't want it.
  • Options
    Item decay and breakage are going to be a thing. Item destruction that is non-recoverable is only a mechanic of dying while under heavy corruption. Steven stated that you would need a certain level of corruption before it would occur. Then again, many people have found his definitions of "reasonable" and "exclusive" to not be what they understand them as meaning in the past, so could be anything.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    I would make items loose durability only while they are being used (in combat), but not use durability while you are not in combat (no idle decay, people shouldn't be punished for being afk, doing something other than combat or being offline).

Lost durability could be restored with gold, the less durability lost the cheaper is to repair the item.

Repair price would exponentially rise as item looses durability. This means if 10% durability lost can be repaired for 10g, 20% durability lost would be repaired for 40g, 40% for 160g etc.

This would reward players that actively care of their gear and keep it full durability as they play.

** this makes manual travel even more relevant having to travel to city to repair your gear. More often you go to city, more often you can repair and have your expenses cheaper, but staying longer in forest makes you hunt more, lose less time on travel, and perhaps earn more. Strategic choice becomes available.

At some point, below 20% durability, it would become cheaper to craft (buy) a new item then to repair an old one. This would make crafting more relevant, as sure there would be players who will forget to repair, or not care about repairing often, because they don't wish travel to city often.

This could be also good for business... crafters using caravans to transport merchandise to small forest hubs, selling their merchandise to hunters who broke their gear, who wouldn't have to travel to city and loose travel time, but items would be a bit more expensive there. There would be a risk for crafter too as he could get robbed.
  • Options
    I wonder if it breaks down its just broken and not usable, so it needs to be repaired or will it be destroyed forever if you dont keep your edges clean of the sword.