Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Keep it Challenging! Reward Achievement!

When WoW made everything carebear and made almost all titles achievable well after the fact, I felt they took a lot from those who rightfully earned that title.

Thoughts on making everything a participation trophy? Should AoC make everything accessible to all or make it difficult but rewarding so those who achieve something truly special can stand out?

Comments

• Options
    "If everyone can get it, then it's not legendary." - steven or jeff. Dont remember which. 
  • Options
    When WoW made everything carebear and made almost all titles achievable well after the fact, I felt they took a lot from those who rightfully earned that title.

Thoughts on making everything a participation trophy? Should AoC make everything accessible to all or make it difficult but rewarding so those who achieve something truly special can stand out?
    just going to repost this 

The aim for achievements for me has always been to do something that I feel happy about that was hard to do or some sort of occasion like finish my first raid or win my first pvp match so it's personal. 
  • Options
    I am all for achievements to both be challenging and time locked.  The title I always wore in wow was the Undying because A it was really hard to do 10 man WotLK nax without anyone dying and B they took it away after the next raid tier came out.  My whole guild rocked that title for a long time because it was actually quite rare, more rare than the 25 man version. 
  • Options
    I hope they deliver on that promise, maybe I'm selfish but I don't want something that I worked incredibly hard for to be completely worthless a few months later because everyone has it. lol
  • Options
    I too think that rewarding achievements is important and that mmo’s shouldn’t tarnish them after a while. I’ve played MMOs where PvE and PvP achievements have been “dumbed down” after a few years due to the downgrading of content difficulty or rank progression, XP gains and the like. Lets hope Ashes allows Legends of Verra be exactly that. :smile:
  • Options
    Achievements clearly need to be special. Not something thats easy to accomplish in the world, say killing 100 wolfs earning you the achievement of "Wolf Slayer". The only problem that I think could exist is if I.S doesn't make enough achievements for players to accomplish. If they only made about 100 specific achievements that only ONE player has the chance to obtain; it wouldn't be enough. They would have to account for the fact that maybe 300000 people will be playing the game actively. With that in mind they should make achievements hard to extremely hard to obtain, that way when you actually have an achievement that you can put beside your name, you will be distingushed.
  • Options
    I've worked my butt off for certain, at the time, extremely rare titles/weapons in certain MMOs only to make them super accessible after the fact so YES! Keep the legindaries legendary and hard to get! Nothing's better than working hard for something, achieving it, then being able to proudly display said thing.
  • Options
    Let those with the skill and determination stand out among the rest, I would love to see incredibly difficult titles and to be in awe when I finally see it or acquire it.
  • Options
    I think a majority of achievements should be very complicated/difficult to obtain, a small amount of which should be server achievements that can not be replicated later in the game.

That said I think some achievements could be less dramatic in nature. There are both casual players and non-PvP oriented players that should have access to some achievements as well.

It would be odd if at some point in time there was not at least one achievement that a majority of players have obtained. That doesn't necessarily make it a participation trophy, just an achievement everyone wants to go for. Otherwise IS will have to continue putting out new achievements and that leads to your previously legendary achievement not being so... legendary.
  • Options

I am in the camp of risk vs reward, but at the same time don't lose everything you have. In one of the games I play a long time ago, if you got killed in the game, you risked losing all of your stuff your were caring. NPC monsters would take something off your body, or other players would pick you clean, if you didn't get back to your body fast enough. Heaven help you if you have top level gear, POOF all gone if you died in the wrong place. It made you plan out what you need to do it game, do you risk your best stuff on a dungeon run, knowing there is a risk of Red players running in and killing you off, or do you take ok gear and risk being killed by the dungeon monsters. Yep tons of Risk vs reward in that old game. At times people banned together to help fight off these raiders, while lower level players did the dungeon runs. It made the night interesting at least.

• Options
  • Options
    Almost everything achievable. There are alot of achievements/titles that need alot of work and time.

Like rank1 titles, or "the insane" "salty" 

I talked with people about achievements. Some people are really against it cause it creates a culture. But I always liked achievements even if i couldnt achieve them.

So yes xD Difficult and rewarden.
  • Options
    There is a difference between "achievable" and "very hard to get".

Achievements should be possible for anyone, but certain ones should be very hard to get. By very hard I don't mean "Legendary, one of a kind" achievements, as this contradicts with achievements possible for anyone.

Everyone should be able to get all achievements eventually, without certain limited or one of a kind achievements.