Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A Node during the Night

This is half question half discussion. 
Do you think that ashes could implement a difference in the Node at Nighttime vs Daytime?

Say like certain monsters spawn that are stronger so maybe it gives incentive to players to stay at an Inn or inside their homes. Maybe the node is not like this all the time but a couple of nights a week? *Shrugs*

Comments

• Options
    @Kalkaz that could be cool mechanic. Maybe if there are moon cycles in the game it could be during a new moon (no moon visible in sky).
  • Options
    Many games have the mechanic that night time spawns stronger, but more rewarding monsters.

I believe that this is also a must for games with a day and night cycle. Other than visuals, what else would the day/night cycle be for anyways?
  • Options
    Do you think there could possibly be any reason for players to stay in town or in homes/inns? 
    I ask this because I'm partial to trying to make inns a social place and I wonder if this effect could benefit inns and hardcore players alike.
  • Options
    having wights/skeletons attack at night was amazing in final fantasy XI and a surprise for new players. Would definitely like more stuff like that.
  • Options
    R41D3NZ said:
    having wights/skeletons attack at night was amazing in final fantasy XI and a surprise for new players. Would definitely like more stuff like that.

• Options
    It should soo happen. The danger would be way different like even tempt players to leave the node on dawn so the monsters wouldn't be a much problem 'till the sunset.
  • Options
    It could encourage players to travel together to level and maybe bring them to find new players at local Taverns/Inns. Maybe also limited visibility the need for line of sight to use certain abilities
  • Options

Great idea @Kalkaz - it would be very interesting to see how they implemented it. In such a wild planet as Verra you'd expect deep and mysterious evils and perils to rear up during the darkness of night.

Kalkaz said:
    Do you think there could possibly be any reason for players to stay in town or in homes/inns? 
    @Karthos!

• Options
    I would love to see this happen too. It would further help getting people to form parties as well as it would make taverns, inns, and player events be more successful. People could plan parties, tavern events, have some shops open at night since more people would be in town if it was more dangerous at night
  • Options
    T_T... all these dreams. I hope you all have gratifying experiences in these Inns!
  • Options
    FliP said:
    Many games have the mechanic that night time spawns stronger, but more rewarding monsters.

On the note of making it more risky yet more rewarding to venture off at night, I think it would be neat to see some bio-luminescence in Verra at night. There could be a valuable ingredient, such as an herb or mineral that only glows at night and is near impossible to spot during the day, and only the bravest gatherers would venture out to find these. 

Thoughts?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Kalkaz said:
    This is half question half discussion. 
    Do you think that ashes could implement a difference in the Node at Nighttime vs Daytime?

Say like certain monsters spawn that are stronger so maybe it gives incentive to players to stay at an Inn or inside their homes. Maybe the node is not like this all the time but a couple of nights a week? *Shrugs*
    I think they did mention in a Stream that there would be different mob tables in day vs night.
    Yeah, I checked my notes.

• Different Monster Tables between Day and Night

Source: Forum Question 2.
  • Options
    I wear my sunglasses at night!

• Options
    Makul said:
    FliP said:

On the note of making it more risky yet more rewarding to venture off at night, I think it would be neat to see some bio-luminescence in Verra at night. There could be a valuable ingredient, such as an herb or mineral that only glows at night and is near impossible to spot during the day, and only the bravest gatherers would venture out to find these. 

Thoughts?

This is a really good idea, you could expand upon it to include ingredients or parts of monsters that only come out at night being needed for crafting.
  • Options
    Well there will be events of hoarding zombies or mobs xD or so called events.

But if mobs are always at night stronger, and you are a player that can only play after work/night times. That will make it hard.

But maybe a bloodmoon event or something monthly/quater.
  • Options
    The in-game day and night circle will obviously be much faster.

A in-game day is usually about 3-4 real life hours with night time lasting roughly 30 minutes.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    haha
    Mobs could not be strong enough to keep explorers in an inn or at home at night.
    We might end up hiding in caves or underwater or whatever - possibly gathering resources instead of fighting mobs.

But, sure, it would be nice to have some content that is different at night than is available during the day - and vice versa.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure they said they would be doing this just not everywhere. The mobs will be changing based on the season and occasionally based on the day/night cycle based on what they said.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure they said they would be doing this just not everywhere. The mobs will be changing based on the season and occasionally based on the day/night cycle based on what they said.
    Jupp, that's why I linked the source of them saying so earlier.
  • Options

• Options
    I can’t wait for the seasons in game /endof. It’s really going to be great I think. :p
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    I can’t wait for the seasons in game /endof. It’s really going to be great I think. :p
    I know :D Esp how they mentioned that some event monsters might change and lock the season until it's dead :P 
  • Options
    Really looking forward to seeing the seasons change in game.
  • Options
    I hope the games atmosphere changes from day to night.  different monsters, different npcs and different missions.  Oh in a perfect world lol.
  • Options
    Ziltch said:
    Kratz said:
    I know :D Esp how they mentioned that some event monsters might change and lock the season until it's dead :P 

Agreed! I can imagine rivalling guilds having to work together to rid a monster whose brought perma frost to their node and it's having an adverse affect on node growth. Not sure if other guild will turn on you etc etc. Could be a great mechanic and the pics shared by @Diura and others indicate World Bosses are going to be massive. :)
  • Options
    @UnknownSystemError provided some nice Steven quotes!

A cold snowy winters night...I may be in my freehold hiding by a warm fire. I can't imagine what spooky monster spawn tables that scenario would bring!

• Options

If it is 4x real time for game time and if seasons and latitude effect daylight on Verra as on Earth then are some places going to have days of night?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Althor said:

If it is 4x real time for game time and if seasons and latitude effect daylight on Verra as on Earth then are some places going to have days of night?

He meant 15 real life minutes is 1 hour in game, (1/4 x real time)
    Meaning a day cycle will be 6, meaning there will be 4 days in game in 1 real life day :P 
  • Options
    thats still great the more night we have the better I mean the sun does havoc on my bones
  • Options
    nagash said:
    thats still great the more night we have the better I mean the sun does havoc on my bones
    The sun is just too bright that's all. Better inside a damp dark cave, nothing blinding one's eyes there.