Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Server-Size [Cap? Yes or No]

*Recently watching an Interview with the Dev's where they asked about the limits of the server... (They seemed a little unsure as of how to handle it and I didn't much like there answer)

-They proposed a potential "Cap"
(Which would essentially prevent new-players from joining that server)

*Perhaps it was just their initial response, because these questions weren't "Vetted"
(But that type of Implication would be DETRIMENTAL to the Realm)

~Imagine getting invited to the game by your IRL Friend only to realize he can't Join your server, because it's "Full" and he's been Locked-out. (You're not gonna have a good-time)

~Inactive Players or Bots could potentially Clog-up the Server making it become stagnant.

~And the lack of new players entering the World could make the game feel Stale.

>>>Whatever your opinion; I do-not think a Server-Limit/cap is a smart Idea<<<<<<<

My solution-
Upon choosing your Starting-Server, there should be indicator of the populist ("SIZE")

Healthy servers would have a "High" population-size...
(As it would provide the most ample amount of collaborated and conflict)

Medium servers would had decent population-size.
(Providing you with more wiggle-room & less conflict for more Casual-players)

Low servers would be lacking in population and could probably use some help.
(Low servers would be lacking in resources, collaboration, and conflict)

Which brings us to "Very-HIGH" populated Servers.
(These servers would be over crowded and probably have a-lot of Conflict)
>>They would potentially not be able to support everyone playing at once<<<
(((You could potentially experience wait times just for trying to log onto the Realm)))

Very-High servers would essentially be over populated and players on a "Very-High"
server should be given the option of having a "Free" Server transfer to a alternative
"Low" populated server....

This would in essence help circumvent overly-dense populations
And offset pocket-sized populations....

-Let me know what you guys think the Dev(s) should do with Over-populated servers...
(Should they put a Cap, Did you like my Solution, or Maybe you have some ideas of your Own)

PS: I know what your thinking...
(Yes I totally stripped this idea from Blizzard)

Comments

• Options
    *Recently watching an Interview with the Dev's where they asked about the limits of the server... (They seemed a little unsure as of how to handle it and I didn't much like there answer)
    They did say they would possibly limit the creation of new Characters yeah, but I do not think they meant that they'd lock it out, just that they'd limit it. 
    And yeah, they did seem a bit unsure, maybe they want to try and think out a system that could work better than the systems today? Who knows. 
  • Options
    Server size will be 8k - 10k
  • Options
    As you can see from the quote below, they are stating 10k CONCURRENT users. So what does that mean? There have been previous threads where the wording has been argued. My interpretation is that they would start to limit new accounts to a server after the 10k cap is reached. You could very well have 30k accounts on a server as there are those that are inactive, people play at different times, and other reasons why you would not see all 10k people on at the same time. Where they run into an issue is if behaviour from other mmos is to be believed. Every large update will see a spike in users, and then a decline back down to the regular plateau. If that is planned for they should be fine.

• Options
    Ty, I was looking for that quote
  • Options
    IS is aiming for 8-10k players on a server at any given time. If demand happens to be much higher, they can either increase the limit if the hardware allows it or open a new server. I don't see the point in limiting character creation on a "full" server. Rather than limiting the player, they should find their own sollutions.

I'd understand if AOC had factions and since Steven comes from ArcheAge, I can understand why he would limit character creation on a server. Unless I am missing something, AoC won't have faction? Therefore it is no point to limit population by disabling new characters.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Belewyn said:
    Server size will be 8k - 10k
    -Yeah I can't say that agree with Steven's Current 10k Player-Cap!

If your server reaches the Cap it's likely Friends won't be able to join your Realm.
    (Either by Xfearing or being Recruited to the Game)

+You're sure to see Gold-farmers & Bots clogging up the Server as in any-other MMO. (I think this restriction will have a negative impact and eventually need to be changed)

Hindsight's always 20/20
    But I've always found Foresight to be far more preferable.
  • Options
    I think with the idea of "nodes", separating servers may work in the long run.
    From a non-techie's stand point, it seems like if you have a diminishing population on a server, there could potentially be a way to import existing nodes from Server B onto Server A so that you could combine those 2 servers without either one really losing out on their development.  Again...i'm not a programmer so I don't know just how difficult it would be.

But from a persistently changing world, importing content onto a new landmass doesn't seem far fetched.
  • Options
    I prefer server cap over 30 second lag spikes.
  • Options
    I'd rather we be capped at what the servers can handle rather than be hit with stability and performance issues. All servers have a cap of some kind  -even ESO's megaserver had caps when it came to PvP. Verra is a stunning place and I want to be to enjoy it on ULTRA (whatever the highest setting is). If I can't then I want it to be a problem on my end not a problem on their end that they can't seem to fix. If cap means we get a better game then bring it. Having 10k concurrent users on a server will not be easy as there'll be multiple servers at launch (providing testing shows the need) and there'll be server transfers and such to make informed choices should they be required by you and your friend. I assume they'll have the capacity to alter the cap if the technology allows so that may help long term also. If the technology doesn't allow then that's all I need to know - leave the cap as is.  
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @FliP because there is no only alts in life mate :p 
  • Options
    I'd like to see a character cap. Not like World of Warcraft though. Personally, 13 characters a realm is too much. I think the reason World of Warcraft has to have such a high cap is because choosing your class in the game is very limiting. As a mage you can only where cloth and use a few types of weapons. I think with Ashes of Creation having a lot of option and since people will be able to change their second archtype, there will be so much option from only one character that the character limit could be around 4. Altaholics will hate me but I just think that in a lot of mmo's people have 5+ characters they barely use. I also think with four people could really have a main so everyone gets attached to their main not eh, I have two more just like him.
  • Options
    Thadgar said:
    I'd like to see a character cap. Not like World of Warcraft though. Personally, 13 characters a realm is too much. I think the reason World of Warcraft has to have such a high cap is because choosing your class in the game is very limiting. As a mage you can only where cloth and use a few types of weapons. I think with Ashes of Creation having a lot of option and since people will be able to change their second archtype, there will be so much option from only one character that the character limit could be around 4. Altaholics will hate me but I just think that in a lot of mmo's people have 5+ characters they barely use. I also think with four people could really have a main so everyone gets attached to their main not eh, I have two more just like him.
    I think that having a lot of characters limit a lot of players. When something goes wrong, or becomes a bit stale(and you to impatient to wait for the next cool thing) a lot of people just create a new character, so I think that having few characters like you said is good.

The only problem I can think of is that you have different characters for different occations. Like one for a specific group of friends for example and you don't want to level ahead of them(or them of you). So with few characters it limits you in that way.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It also limits people having to expand beyond their core group of friends. Tank is out for the day, no problem, I will log on to mine so the group doesn't have to bother with recruiting someone we don't know. It allows insular groups to remain so. In the beginning people experiment and find out what they like to play, but 6 months down the line anyone who plays regularly will have a tank, healer, and a dps at max level. With there being no bound gear, any loot that you get on one will be able to upgrade the others. 
    I fully believe at the end of the day we will have something in the neighborhood of around 8 slots. Maybe not right at launch when they are worried about taxing their server caps, but it will get there.
  • Options
    Over 9000!
  • Options
    Thadgar said:
    I would like to see 8 being a cap. One for each archetype
  • Options
    Is buying character slots in the cash store p2w? Now there's an interesting discussion. 
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Yes, it is considered p2win...more slot means more crafting proficiencies, more money I can make. If it adds a gameplay advantage, it is p2win. That is why they have to walk a fine line on what is truly cosmetic vs advantage.
  • Options
    Yes, it is considered p2win...more slot means more crafting proficiencies, more money I can make. If it adds a gameplay advantage, it is p2win. That is why they have to walk a fine line on what is truly cosmetic vs advantage.
    I think that depends on what you're able to transfer between characters. If you are able to transfer goods and gold via the mailbox, it would indeed be p2w.
  • Options
    They have stated a couple times in livestreams that items will not be boe/bop except in rare circumstances, allowing you to gear alts with your mains loot. So yeah, p2win.
  • Options
    It could also be balanced, for example only allowing the initial number of character slots to login each day.
  • Options
    Would cause more of a headache for them than it is worth. People would complain that they pay for a sub, then they had to pay for more character slots, but then were not able to use them freely. The amount of bile and hate that would arise would truly be monumental. Since the idea is to avoid any whiff of p2win probably not going to see it.
  • Options
    Agreed, best just to keep the cash shop full of cosmetics.