Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Bounty Hunting Problem

I'm jazzed about the prospect of bounty hunting, but how does AoC intend to solve the classic exploit of two co-conspirators generating bounties and them collecting them by killing each other?

As long as anyone can collect a bounty by killing a bounty target, there is the potential for collusion between a bounty target and a friend/collector. I'd love to see this handled, but I've yet to see a system accomplish this successfully.

Comments

• I think bounties are given by players and not the game itself but I may be wrong
  • You mean I have to pay to get someone killed? :(
  • Megs said:
    You mean I have to pay to get someone killed? :(
    I'm sure there's a few people who wouldn't charge you @Megs.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    You guys are awesome shovel buddies. >>.<
  • Well the bounty hunter title provides the location of people with bounties so that could reduce the possibility of two people taking advantage of the bounty hunter system because an unknown number of other players could be hunting the same person.
  • You cannot kill Party members either
  • They have stated there are currently 4 states where you are not able to attack the other person. Group member, friends list, guild member, and alliance member. If you flag red for corruption you become visible to everyone on the radar, not just bounty hunters. Bounty hunter status is a function of military nodes.(confirmed) Either a quest line to unlock the ability to take bounties, or the bounty "board" only appears in those locations (not confirmed). Bounties are NOT player generated in that "I don't like Player X so I am going to pay for him to be hunted." The greater your corruption score, the faster and higher your bounty will appear on the boards. While we have no confirmed mechanics yet just vague references, look at the old SWG bounty system for examples of how it might be implemented.
    So for friends to collude, they would need to be in the same area, have one of them kill someone flagged green, BH friend ride to town and hope the bounty has appeared on the board, then ride back to friend to kill them. Since they will have had to drop from friends list and guild(cooldowns to those to stop people from exploiting mechanic are most likely), they would most likely have to coordinate over voice.
    In the meantime, to have generated the corruption to place them on the board, the bounty will most likely have active members from the person they ganked looking for them, people who were in node at the board browsing for bounties beating the "friend" to the posting. It depends on if they allow multiple people to take the same bounty and whether they list them by character name on the interface or just general info whether is would even be possible for someone to find a specific bounty.
  • The SWG system was flawed by this very problem so I would imagine they've learned from that experience, but I like your theorizing about ways to address the issue. I'd sure like to hear from the Devs on this, a good creative solution to this problem would give me a lot of encouragement about the quality of their overall design chops. So far, the game sounds fantastic in theory. It's always about implementation, though, isn't it?

Cautiously excited.
  • Does the target killing a bounty hunter raise the bounty or is it strictly based on corruption?
    edited October 2017
    Althor said:
    Does the target killing a bounty hunter raise the bounty or is it strictly based on corruption?

That would be rewarding failed bounty hunters that get killed 10 times, then only manage to kill the target 11th time and get higher reward because bounty prize has grown.

If anything, when bounty hunter fails and dies, his reward should get reduced gradually. If he failed multiple times, and only then succeeds, he should get much lower reward then if he succeeded the first time around.

Reward the success, I say, and not the failure.
    edited October 2017
    Gothix said:
    Althor said:
    Does the target killing a bounty hunter raise the bounty or is it strictly based on corruption?

That would be rewarding failed bounty hunters that get killed 10 times, then only manage to kill the target 11th time and get higher reward because bounty prize has grown.

If anything, when bounty hunter fails and dies, his reward should get reduced gradually. If he failed multiple times, and only then succeeds, he should get much lower reward then if he succeeded the first time around.

If you accepted a bounty an easy way to fix the above would be to become flagged automatically as a combatant thus if the target of the bounty hunter kills the bounty hunter no further corruption would be incurred. So would not matter how many attempts they had to kill the corrupted killer no further corruption. You want to be a bounty hunter that's the price. 
    edited October 2017
    nagash said:
    I think bounties are given by players and not the game itself but I may be wrong
    Wasnt it that corrupted players get a known location somewhere on the map for a bountyhunter to find?
  • Varkun said:
    Gothix said:
    Althor said:

If you accepted a bounty an easy way to fix the above would be to become flagged automatically as a combatant thus if the target of the bounty hunter kills the bounty hunter no further corruption would be incurred. So would not matter how many attempts they had to kill the corrupted killer no further corruption. You want to be a bounty hunter that's the price. 
    • Bounty Hunters can track Corrupt Players

• Bounty Hunter is toggle-able 

• Bounty Hunters are susceptible to attacks from Corrupt Players

Source

So most likely you will not get more corrupt if you kill a Bounty Hunter.
  • Ziltch said:
    Varkun said:
    Gothix said:
    Althor said:

Source

Would be correct it would seem from the source, but it honestly makes sense that way. 
  • Varkun said:
    Ziltch said:
    Varkun said:
    Gothix said:
    Althor said:

Source

Would be correct it would seem from the source, but it honestly makes sense that way. 
    Indeed. Just thought i'd provide a source so there's less 'speculation'
  • I thought I has seen or heard the info but I am hopeless at remembering any source for it though lol. I pretty much devour any information I can find every single day for AOC troll these forums, am on discord but yet to jump in a channel, seems mostly trash talk going past anyway.

It's good to kill speculation as at the moment its far too large a part of what is out there at the moment.
  • Varkun said:
    Ziltch said:
    Varkun said:
    Gothix said:
    Althor said:

Source

How about feeding with alts? Have we seen a cap on toons/server. 

• I'm thinking about making a character with a blonde mullet, and tight black pants. Use him as a bounty hunter to form a party with some skinny guy, a fat guy with bad teeth and a female character with the boob slider cranked to 11. 

I'll have own theme song and everything. Probably need a catchy yet intimidating name like Hog. 

I am the Hog, the big bad Hog. The Bounty Hunterrrrrr!

That's a pretty cool original idea right guys?
  • Karthos said:
    I'm thinking about making a character with a blonde mullet, and tight black pants. Use him as a bounty hunter to form a party with some skinny guy, a fat guy with bad teeth and a female character with the boob slider cranked to 11. 

I'll have own theme song and everything. Probably need a catchy yet intimidating name like Hog. 

I am the Hog, the big bad Hog. The Bounty Hunterrrrrr!

That's a pretty cool original idea right guys?