Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Every one at max level or no levels

It may sound odd to have an mmorpg with no leveling or everyone at max level right from the start but take at look at the benefits.

There would be starting zones but no level 1-10 leveling zones.  Take World of Warcraft for example that game is only as big as its current expansion. Yes the actual game world is pretty big, but once you have reached max level most of the map remains unexplored, and most toons are  at the hot spot of the current expansion.  There is no reason to visit the low level zones because you  one shot every thing. So there could be a wonderfully  rendered zones with good stroy lines that get abandoned cause it is a low leveling zone.  Let us take a look at some good points.

-Since the entire world is relevent  to gamers that effectively makes game world bigger vs a really big world were most of the players are at the highest leveling zone.

-Quests and  story lines not limited to a single leveling zone, which would lead to going on legendary quests that could span the entire game world.

-Missions like  Great Dragon is terrorizing this zone (gm spawning monster) could happen anywhere Players would kill it,and that would be the end of it. Players would have to wait to the next spawning which may  be a different monster to get in on the action.

-Since most of the monsters are at the same level gear drops would be more significant, same thing with materials needed to make crafting items. There would still be "low level drops" but they would be better than some 1-5 level iitem when you are at max level.

-Dungeouns and raids would have a longer "shelf life". Obviously a toon would eventually out grow them, but with dungeoun difficulties and raid diffulties (more monsters / more area to clear /different gear drops) players would have incentive to do those dungeons. I mean the developers could do an awesome job at making a dungeon, with superb game mechanics; the whole experience would be fantastic, but toons only play it for ten levels or missed it altogether cause they did not do dungeons at those levels. 

-With no levels or everyone at max level ALL of the content for Ashes of Creation could be kept current for the entire life of the game.  Just have options for difficulty levels, change the gear that gets dropped at different levels, even present new monsters, there could be a challenge dungeon that would be a slighty different version of the original, not just more hp and more dmg.

Comments

• Options
    Personally, I like the scaling systems in use by GW2 and ESO.  Either method keeps all of the game content relevant and you can enjoy the story of the zones without feeling like it's a complete faceroll.
  • Options
    Well thought out, if it was a themepark. But it isn't. Since the "zones" are changing based on player actions, and the only starter areas are the 4 gates and the Tulnar starting area, content does not remain static, thus giving reason to visit them over and over. This was beat to death in another post. Realize that as a node levels the spawn tables do get more difficult, but it is not "Node advanced to level 3, all mobs are not 25-30 range." Lower level mobs will still be present, and occasional overpowered mobs will appear. Content such as dungeons appear on a node basis based on type and level. Which means while you may love running Thorgar's Pit with your friends this week, two weeks later a successful siege of the node it is located in has deleveled the node and it has disappeared. Or the node has advanced to a higher level, and a landslide has filled in your favorite dungeon exposing ancient buried ruins filled with undead. So while I laud your effort to come up with some groundbreaking concept, do not get discouraged when it isn't implemented.
  • Options
    I personally would like to have a non-level based game. I think it should just be that the more you use something/abilties and do quests you level up your abilities and not health/mana. It could also help prevent against players shanking low levels since corruption wouldn't be a big deal if the abiltiy/dmg/health difference was big enough. I think it makes it so that instead of being able to 1 shot you actually got to be tactical even with the better ability difference. Just my opinion tho'
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Possum said:
    Personally, I like the scaling systems in use by GW2 and ESO.  Either method keeps all of the game content relevant and you can enjoy the story of the zones without feeling like it's a complete faceroll.

Problem is I still didn't see a scaling that worked well.

Yeah, lvl 60 player gets scaled to 15, but he still owns 30 skills, and 60 talent points distributed everywhere.

Meanwhile real lvl 15 has 3 skills, and 15 talent points, and gets completely destroyed by "scaled lvl 60".

At least this is how it worked in every other MMO I played that had scaling.
  • Options
    Well then you have to go through each zone to gear up would probbaly end the same way. Or as legion in wow is now. Broken isles you can go wherever you want cause the mobs and quests scale with your lvl. But in this case when there are no lvls the gear scales with your gear ??

But in the end lvl's are important otherwise how will you get all your skills, just from the start? Buy them with gold??

IMO lvling is fine, especialy when it takes 60 days for a general person who games as they stated. Wich will probbaly be 3/4 days for hardcore players.

• Options
    Thank you for your intelligent comments.  I just wanted to add some obvious comments that I forgot to mention.

1) After you hit max level the game  has just begun; it kind of starts all over again with other content. Leveling is 60 days or less part of the game then it is over forever.

2)Level 1 people may do 100dps max level people 500,000dps. Level one toon may have to attack 6 seconds to kill low level cat.  Max level toon will also atack 6 seconds to kill max level cat cause it has 3 million hp instead of 600hp So there is no real progression besides abilities. 

3)There would still be experience that goes toward unlocking abilities, upgrading weapons, buffing  abilities, ect; just the huge gap between level one and max level would not as big.

UnknownSystemError said the node system that is already implemented pretty much solves this issue; which is good to hear.  That means we can enjoy the positive things about leveling a toon, without the huge gap it can produce.   I am not disagreeing with any of you just want to get some ideas out there.
  • Options
    And don't forget, even at level cap, exp you earn contributes towards supporting your node. Since nodes will need a steady, ever increasing supply of exp generated to maintain their status, those at "end game" who want to maintain the status quo for their citizenship node will need to contribute just as much as those leveling in the node.
  • Options
    How do you outgrow something if there are no levels?
    RPGs require some form of leveling.
    But, it's better to have shallow vertical progression and wide horizontal progression.

In perspective, WoW started with max level at level 60.
    Ashes is supposed to have max at level 50, so...
  • Options
    I just don't want it to become like World of Warcraft. How if they redid a class and I really love the new changes but don't have it I have to grind 110 levels to be able to really start playing it. Also, if I already have one or more 110's it just makes it feel like a grind of content I've already done.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    To answer Dygz question without getting into lot of game mechanics is this.  After you hit max level you will be having a non-leveling experience most mmorpgs are that way. After max level there  are  gear grinds,dungeouns, raids at different difficulties, sieges,and also there is a skill grind(playing a toon to near full  potential) and pvp. The non-leveling experience is already there and will represent guessing over 90 percent of the game.  So you would outgrow a dungeoun or zone because you got better gear, completed all the challenges in that are associated with that zone. 

My main concern is this: DEAD ZONES.  Most mmorpgs have over 50% of the cool world that they created abandoned, cause it is too low level.  Also low level dungeouns and raids that are awesome but  cannot be truly enjoyed cause you one shot the bosses. So if Ashes of Creation can deal with those problems and have a leveling experience that is great. 

So in a nutshell my post is this.  Dead zones are bad get rid of them and we should be able to enjoy the awesome low level content that you created at max level; with or without levels. Trick is to have those smart game mechanics to allow this.   
  • Options
    Um. Yeah. That's the excitement behind the node system.
    Players can level and de-level cities and zones.

More importantly, the game design allows players to generate different content by de-leveling a node and then re-building that node differently.
    As opposed to all places remaining static for 18 months while players wait for the next expansion.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Um. Yeah. That's the excitement behind the node system.
    As opposed to all places remaining static for 18 months while players wait for the next expansion.
    Amen to that! :)
  • Options
    To preface.
    I loathe and despise level grind.

Now:
    Level grind (in some form) is a necessary evil in MMORPG's. One of my favorite aspects of MMO's is the character customization. Some games the only real customization comes from what armor set you have equipped. Still, there are others where you race, class, and sub class all matter and even some where you have all of those options plus the ability to allocate attribute/skill points to various levels. If a game has these mechanics then a level grind is absolutely necessary because otherwise there is no barrier to just re-rolling until you have the perfect creation.
  • Options
    I hate level systems and world designs that are slave to it. That being said, most all gamers desire a way to measure progress, i.e. levels, titles, achievements, etc. I have always enjoyed systems that increase your skills depending on what you do. For example, if i use a long sword all the time, I'll get better at it. sadly, most games measure your strength based on how many wolves/orcs/rats you kill. I would rather see a decaying xp return on over farmed creatures. So, yeah, I guess I do agree that the level system is outdated, but is there a better way?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    " ... Take World of Warcraft for example that game is only as big as its current expansion. Yes the actual game world is pretty big, but once you have reached max level most of the map remains unexplored, and most toons are  at the hot spot of the current expansion.  There is no reason ... "

-Missions like  Great Dragon is terrorizing this zone (gm spawning monster) could happen anywhere Players would kill it,and that would be the end of it. Players would have to wait to the next spawning which may  be a different monster to get in on the action.

-Since most of the monsters are at the same level gear drops would be more significant, same thing with materials needed to make crafting items. There would still be "low level drops" but they would be better than some 1-5 level iitem when you are at max level ... "

While I am personally neutral about Level-Cap vs No Level-Cap. I can confidently tell you that your POVs on the Levels are based on the current-sh!tty MMO Market.

In others, WoW and other MMOs are like that because ... They're programmed to be that way ; they put far too much emphasis on gear and forgot how give depth to each LvL. Currently follow the below trend ...

" New Expansions = Higher-Level-Cap = all your hard-work have been for nothing " ... 

Thus making your gear & stats inadequate forcing the Player/ Customer to buy the Expansion & Do another grind

( Which btw ... The " grind " is also programmed liked that ).

Each Node Z.O.I. will dictate the NPCs' Lvls ; being a mixture of levels that'll fluctuate based on the Node's Level. Thus, each Node Z.O.I. will be ... " Any Level ". In others words, the Devs will be giving a reason for higher levels to come back to those " Node's Z.O.I. of Interest " ... Because it will be programmed to be that way - to give Players a reason to come back ...in order to defend the Nodes' Z.O.I.

( Or something similar to that which I described )

So if you're lvl 6, and your 1st character was spawned 1 month after launch ...  you may very well come across an NPC lvl 23, depending on the Node's Level. 

OR

If you make a 2nd character, in another Node Z.O.I. after 3 months of Launch ... Then it'll be different than when you made your 1st character - you might spawn in the middle of a Guild vs Guild conflict, or maybe lost in the wilderness.         

But it's programmed to be that way ^.~
    @Consultant said

-With no levels or everyone at max level ALL of the content for Ashes of Creation could be kept current for the entire life of the game.  Just have options for difficulty levels, change the gear that gets dropped at different levels, even present new monsters, there could be a challenge dungeon that would be a slighty different version of the original, not just more hp and more dmg.

As stated above, I am ultimately neutral on that. Because ... Rather than leveling-up, players can set themselves apart by Stat-Progression depending on what the player does

Or 

They could even have an " in-depth leveling system " if they wanted to. Such as having Multiple EXP Bars via Ability EXP, Crafting EXP, Skill EXP, Exploration EXP, etc ...

Or

Both ? 

In the end, this segment you typed won't fit in this MMORPG - If everyone is at MAX Lvl/ stats... Then Node LvL would be meaningless to have ; there won't be different journeys to heard from players and get travels - it'll all be same without any diversity. 

(I.e. you experience seeing a strange create in the wilderness, whereas Player B found burrows ... Tricky to explain > .<

EDIT: I HATE AUTOCORRECT ... Refresh & Re-read pls :s
  • Options
    UnknownSystemError said:
    " ... Lower level mobs will still be present, and occasional overpowered mobs will appear 
    ... " 
    This too. 
  • Options
    After reading everyone's comments ... Why not have Adaptive Mechanics ?

We already have Node's to be Adaptive to Player(s) Activities ... Why not have Adaptive Skill Progression, Adaptive Environment, etc  :p
  • Options
    Possum said:
    A lot of new players to ESO enjoyed the feature, older players that only wanted to PvP hated it. You couldn't grind effectively anymore. At the end of the day, it's the players choice if they care about the game world.
  • Options
    Just as an after thought if the max level limit was 50 (  I mean even after you get another expansion you do not get any more levels) Then you could have the initial leveling experience and not have the huge gap in gameplay between expansions.
  • Options
    This games slogan is "Make MMOs great again". MMOs were great until the era when companies tried to come up with new things, such as no leveling, instant levels and mastery progression based on weapon use.

Keep it classic.
  • Options
    Well it is non classic, but  in my opinion levels are kind of an illusion for pc games pretty good in paper and pencil games.  For  example expansion comes out and you get 10 levels so you are at level 60 now.  Well at level 50 it took ten attacks to kill most other players if they just sit there, and well at level 60 it takes about ten attacks  to kill most other players if they just sit there.   Everything just scales up so essentially you have been doing the same damage the entire time.  There has been no real progression besides unlocking abilities. 

After you get to level 50 like or not you will have a no leveling experience.  Besides I am talking about a level cap that idea comes from creating rpgs.  As a guidline you you should set a level cap before starting an rpg.

• Options
    Well it is non classic, but  in my opinion levels are kind of an illusion for pc games pretty good in paper and pencil games.  For  example expansion comes out and you get 10 levels so you are at level 60 now.  Well at level 50 it took ten attacks to kill most other players if they just sit there, and well at level 60 it takes about ten attacks  to kill most other players if they just sit there.   Everything just scales up so essentially you have been doing the same damage the entire time.  There has been no real progression besides unlocking abilities. 

After you get to level 50 like or not you will have a no leveling experience.  Besides I am talking about a level cap that idea comes from creating rpgs.  As a guidline you you should set a level cap before starting an rpg.

I hate expansions adding levels, it adds more unnecessary grind. I'd like the cap to be 100, it just feels right.
  • Options
    What if people loose some level on death or pay level as currency for stuff?
    That way death gets more meaningful and players can do new unlocked low lv content in another node without oneshooting everything and without shitty scaling mechanics.

For this, abilitys couldn't be learned through leveling alone but through exploring the world or completing specialized tasks. So players wouldn't loose all theire skills after dieing a few times. So level really just changes various base stats, maybe reputation towards npc organisations or access to special quests/competitive pvp arena fights.
  • Options
    I would like to see some innovation regarding levels. As in, delete them entirely, and just skill up, use swords and shield, get good at that, wanna change to bow, get good at that, but if you stop using certain skills, you become rusty and they decline over time.

That being said, I don't think Ashes is the game for that particular scenario, and as was said above. Zones will have Nodes, so I don't think we'll see the sandard 1-10 10-20 etc levelling zones.
  • Options
    Ariatras said:
    I would like to see some innovation regarding levels. As in, delete them entirely, and just skill up, use swords and shield, get good at that, wanna change to bow, get good at that, but if you stop using certain skills, you become rusty and they decline over time.

That being said, I don't think Ashes is the game for that particular scenario, and as was said above. Zones will have Nodes, so I don't think we'll see the sandard 1-10 10-20 etc levelling zones.
    There are some other (eastern) mmorpg's in development that are closer to what you are talking about in terms of less emphasis on levels and more so on skill and efficiency progression, but yea.. Ashes of Creation will certainly not be this way since that part of the game is not what they pitch as "revolutionary". While it is a sandbox mmorpg, we already know that some areas are level based, so progress from one point to one of many others, from livestreams.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    What if ... The expansion never increased Level-Cap ? What if the expansions actually had Captivating Content to truly encouraged Players to buy it because it looks interesting ?

In other words, Modern Companies increase level Cap in expansions to force players in buying their expansion ... Level-Cap doesn't have to ever Increase - just Superb content that'll last longer than 5 - 7 months
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Mmo's that have endgame mechanics of BiS loot through raid mechanics need to increase level caps to keep people feeding the one-armed bandit. Once a certain percentage of your population has reached that artificial cap, they don't get the same endorphin rush from the risk/reward mechanic. They then make such BiS loot obsolete, causing their most dedicated fan base to not continue subbing. WoW has gotten stuck in a cycle of this. Release new cap and artifact loot carrot, get everyone to resub who had left, everyone races to complete the new content, then unsubs. This is why they started staggering access to raid wings over the course of an expansion to keep people paying. Totally intentional that next wing opens in 6 weeks every time, just long enough that dropping your sub doesn't seem worth it.

Since we have a hard promise of no paid dlc ever. Intrepid breaks this cycle. Small content updates monthly to six weeks, with larger content drop quarterly is the stated plan. All for the price of the sub. Notice I did not say base sub, with no f2p/p2w mechanics there is no premium vs basic sub. Since most of the "content" will be driven by the actual playerbase itself, they may stumble to find the balance initially, but should recover quickly. The main shift in players thinking that will be required will be to break them from themepark thinking to "themebox" acceptance.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

" ... Small content updates monthly to six weeks, with larger content drop quarterly is the stated plan. All for the price of a sub ... "
    Admittedly, I didnt think that far ahead. But that's sounds rad  :*
  • Options
    Eragale said:

" ... Small content updates monthly to six weeks, with larger content drop quarterly is the stated plan. All for the price of a sub ... "
    I think it's too optimistic in reality.
  • Options
    Vortigern said:
    Eragale said:

I think it's too optimistic in reality.
    Totally intentional that next wing opens in 6 weeks every time, just long enough that dropping your sub doesn't seem worth it.

Small content updates monthly to six weeks, with larger content drop quarterly is the stated plan. 
    Doesn't sound too innovative to me :')