Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PVP Concepts and Arena Ideas

I am making this post for actual ideas and discussion, NOT A FLAME WAR! If you don’t like someone’s idea, then ignore it, or come up with a reason why it might not work and offer some helpful criticism.

PVP has always been a debatable topic for many because it can offer so much more than just defeating your opponent. It is a place to test your skill against everyone else or just against your friends, in short, it’s a dick measuring contest. It can also be a place to just hang out with your friends and have some fun with no competitive meaning behind it.

Another reason PVP exists is due to the nature of human beings and how we seem to love conflict in and of itself. This seems to be the basis behind PVP in some games and it is just a platform to spite people and be a douchebag. I don’t agree with this point, but it is indeed in some games. LoL even has a rival component to it where you get more gold for killing your rival which can breed either understanding or hatred for said target.

Now that I have the philosophy out of the way, let’s talk about some real ideas.

In the PVP arenas I have always wanted to see more environmental hazards such as fighting in a swamp area where every few minutes the water would turn toxic and chew away at your health or give you some debuff that lowered your movement or attack speed.

Another one could possibly be on a cliffside that occasionally had strong gusts of wind that would throw you against objects of off the cliff.

One that would be cool is in a snowy arena have it so you have to heat your character up so often or you will slowly freeze to death and would lose movement speed over time as that was happening.

Or an arena with an active volcano that threw out random rocks and some lava every so often that would change the battlefield.

Lets see what else you guys can come up with :smile:

Comments

• Options
    CTF is a must, i dont understand why some MMO dont have it. If the story or lore dont fit, just make the flag something else that make sense.
  • Options
    I want PKers to get more corruption killing lower level than them or lower geared players.

Also, I want that kills dont count for people that kill lower level than them or lower geared players.

This way, well geared people wont farm newbies.
  • Options
    Image result for pvp arena on fire gif
  • Options
    Jaikant said:
    I want PKers to get more corruption killing lower level than them or lower geared players.

Lower levels sure.

Lower geared players are supposed to move their ass and gear up. Laziness is not an excuse.
  • Options
    I want to see reputation stat in game that would be dynamic and not only bound to faction but to specific NPCs.

Then for example, players who do not fight back because they are cowardly, would get hugely reduced reputation with female NPCs that would, after reputation drops enough, no want to even talk to them anymore, and certainly not offer services.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    I want to see reputation stat in game that would be dynamic and not only bound to faction but to specific NPCs.

Then for example, players who do not fight back because they are cowardly, would get hugely reduced reputation with female NPCs that would, after reputation drops enough, no want to even talk to them anymore, and certainly not offer services.
    What if the player is female? After enough reputation, would a male npc come out and try to rescue her whenever she is attacked (damsel in distress)? :blush:
  • Options

Agree and disagree.

It can be fun to have elements in your arena system or some maps of them. Since I am in every game that I play purely focus on pvp mostly and elements in arenas never attracted me or/are annoying.

But themed maps/obstacles where you can play around are fine.

But if there would be elements to a arena system it can't be random. That would profit and benefit the lucky team and that can't happen in highly competitive/ranked matches.

• Options
    Gothix said:
    Jaikant said:

Lower levels sure.

Lower geared players are supposed to move their ass and gear up. Laziness is not an excuse.
    @Gothix Although I agree low gear level should not increase corruption I think it is a bit unfair to assume lower geared people are lazy.  Maybe they just have RL commitments that don't allow them the time to grind out all that high end gear.  
  • Options
    PJ_Rydecker said:

@Gothix Although I agree low gear level should not increase corruption I think it is a bit unfair to assume lower geared people are lazy.  Maybe they just have RL commitments that don't allow them the time to grind out all that high end gear.   

I'm hoping gear color gap will not be so huge in Ashes, and that skill (and organisation) will be more important than gear (something like in original The Secret World).

In that case gear level wouldn't be a most important factor in battle outcomes.
  • Options
    Agree 100%
  • Options
    To be honest, There aren't that many people out there who enjoy farming newb. Even in WOW's early days. In pvp zone on a pvp server usually are similar level players fighting each other. you rarely saw bunch of lv 60s camping lv 30s. Becuase first this isnt UO, there is no full loot system. secondly, the honor reward is so little, third they level 60s had their stuff to do in order to stay competetive with other lv 60s,  and finally camping newb is only fun for the first 5 mins.
    Also if they camp you for too long your faction or your guild would eventrally come and camp them back. So i think people are over reacting to this issue.
     And lets face it, being able to gank newb is a player's freedom. You can't shut that down simply bc you wanted the game to baby sit you all the way to the end game. 
    Many big open world pvp in MMO starts with low level being ganked and then esculate into something like 50 vs 50. (South shore vs Tarren mill ) 

• Options
    Limit the amount of info you can see in the open world. If people can't see HP or level then it's more o a gambit to attack. 
  • Options
    Althor said:
    Limit the amount of info you can see in the open world. If people can't see HP or level then it's more o a gambit to attack. 
    That's a great idea, I love it lol would love to be trolling low levels then attack a max level that came to help then have a real fight on my hands.

Yes I am one of those gankers but I usually just follow them around stunning them constantly and let the mobs kill them. :smiley:

I honestly lost count how many guilds I pissed off to the point where they hunted me constantly to just kill me over and over again :smiley:  it's all in good fun :smiley:

• Options
    1vX or gtfo 
  • Options
    Xombie said:
    1vX or gtfo 
    that is the life of the summoner 
  • Options
    Arena ideas can span from animal habitats like jungles to man-made structures such as a bridge over a storming river. What would be nice, in my opinion, would be another aspect, not just PvP. This could include interrupting actions such as hostile creatures/animals coming in the way of the fights, or natural occurrences such as rain affecting movement speed in grass due to mud. Changes in the battlefield due to outside sources, like you said, could be great because the combat is moving so every fight is different. Many options are available in order to allow for more exciting PvP aspects.