Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapon proficiency

I really think it would be cool with proficiency to certain weapons, and to me it makes sense that if you have been fighting with a one-handed sword for a long time, you should become better at using swords, and when you then switch to a two-handed axe, you won't be as good when using it and you need to train your axe-skill.

I also really like the idea that you would gain certain skills (possibly only passive) when you level up your proficiency, like "Gain 25% movement speed after shooting 3 arrows with a shortbow" or "Have a 5% chance to stun the oppnent when hitting with a hammer" or "When using a longsword, gain (2 per longsword-proficiency level) strength."

It would also be cool if some Legendary weapons would have a proficiency requirement to use them, since using an advanced weapon would be harder to use.

I really like this idea, but if someone have arguments against it or improvments to make, I'm all ears.

Comments

• Options
    Weapon mastery as passive skills I'd agree with, but profiency based on weapon use is just boring.
    Attacking training dummies for hours just to get the proficiency up is not what I'd expect from a game that is meant to make MMOs great again.
  • Options
    FliP said:
    Weapon mastery as passive skills I'd agree with, but profiency based on weapon use is just boring.
    Attacking training dummies for hours just to get the proficiency up is not what I'd expect from a game that is meant to make MMOs great again.
    No, i don't like grindy games either. Say you could only increase your proficiency against enemies with a certain level gap between you, increase it only a certain amount agains the same enemy, or only in PvP so friendly PvP matches become more wanted. Only inceasing it in PvP would give you more reasons to fight or train versus other people so you actually gain an advantage of PvPing people.
  • Options
    Having a long path to being proficient with a weapon works against weapon switching, and people would tend to stick with what they are proficient in already.

I want to be able to switch from sword to hammer if I want and not have for my first impression feeling how it sucks because its proficiency is so low level compared to sword I already used.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    Having a long path to being proficient with a weapon works against weapon switching, and people would tend to stick with what they are proficient in already.

I want to be able to switch from sword to hammer if I want and not have for my first impression feeling how it sucks because its proficiency is so low level compared to sword I already used.
    Good point, but it also works in favor of crafted weapons from the artisan classes, since finding the right weapon would be hard. 

I think it would bring a twist to the game and give some weapons a higher market value and of you want a good weapon, you might need to order the right one from some crafter and if you find a really good hammer you would either put in some effort or find the right buyer.

I really see your point, but still like the thought of proficiancy. Thank you for the discussion😁
  • Options
    The weapon proficiency to me, always made sense. However, I had to solo Scarlet Monastery quite a few times to get the level up to a respective level. Otherwise crits were non-existent. But I always found it a nice touch. But I suppose it depends on implementation. 
  • Options
    Yeah, some people might like it, some might not.
    It's also a nice way to differentiate people in end-game, like "how much effort have you put into this character?" Since it's something that can increase your power, indepent of level.

It could also be a way to make crafters a bit more able to defend themselves if they get a high proficiancy with the hammer (maybe).
  • Options
    Weapon proficiency based on a skill path is a good idea, as long as you can switch it around or "retrain" so to speak. I think having a skill lvl for a weapon and needing to increase it, is a bad option, just creates a grind. I remember in Vanilla wow literally running around and spending hours getting weapon skill up, it didn't add to immersion or fun, it was just a choir everyone had to do.