Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

If Ashes will be available only in DirectX 12 will you...

Will you switch to Spydows 10 to play it?

Comments

• Do we even have any official information about this yet?
  • This poll smells like the start of a flamewar and a pissing contest on Operating Systems.
  • Your polls always have so many options... it's exhausting D: Don't you know I don't want choices?!

In all seriousness, I agree with @Ariatras , especially considering how you framed the poll options. Just have to wait and see what Intrepid decides to do for Ashes.
  • Would be interesting if they considered Vulkan in the future.
  • I already use Windows 10, but Civ 6 for example kept crashing in DirectX 12 mode without me really knowing why, I hope the same doesn't happen with Ashes.
  • I use Windows 10 since release and it is fairly easy to remove or block the spydows features.

DX12 would be nice, but I'd also prefer DX9 mode for people with lower range PCs or to be used in large scale fights for better performance.
  • Elder said:
    Would be interesting if they considered Vulkan in the future.
    Vulkan lives *stomps"
  • Fresh statistics (this month) from research found on web show that only total of 36% users use Windows 10.

Steam focused research (also recent) has shown that 50% of gamers that use steam use Windows 10.

As you see, an enormous chunk of gamers still don't use Windows 10 (will not get into reasons now, just looking at statistics), and as you are guessing, the second most used OS is Windows 7 by users that so far refused to switch to Windows 10.

Windows 10 being a free switch, didn't put a cash barrier on switching, so it's obvious all those users didn't switch simply because they didn't want Windows 10 (for one reason or another).

Making Ashes available only in DirectX 12 (playable only under Windows 10) would reduce potential player base by significant amount (this is a simple fact, not a speculation). This is why I'm very interested what Intrepid plans are with this.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Gothix said:
    Fresh statistics (this month) from research found on web show that only total of 36% users use Windows 10.

Steam focused research (also recent) has shown that 50% of gamers that use steam use Windows 10.

As you see, an enormous chunk of gamers still don't use Windows 10 (will not get into reasons now, just looking at statistics), and as you are guessing, the second most used OS is Windows 7 by users that so far refused to switch to Windows 10.

Windows 10 being a free switch, didn't put a cash barrier on switching, so it's obvious all those users didn't switch simply because they didn't want Windows 10 (for one reason or another).

Making Ashes available only in DirectX 12 (playable only under Windows 10) would reduce potential player base by significant amount (this is a simple fact, not a speculation). This is why I'm very interested what Intrepid plans are with this.
    Then again AoC is only releasing in approximately two years from now. Those statistics are bound to change with future updates and people generally upgrading their PCs. I think more people will be converting to Win 10. 
    I've never encountered a problem with it. It depends a lot on ur PC. If your computer is a potato, it's better to stay Win 7. If you use a high end gaming PC Windows 10 is the best option, imo.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    Actually several updates ago the Windows 10 patch introduced a pop-up window asking what you wished to "share" with MS! Before that it was very easy if you know were the options are. Funny enough MS didnt even need pressure from goverments to come up with that pop-up window, there was enough incentive for them hearing the community busting their balls over the spyware on default! As a system engineer i have to say that the administrating tools work like a charm on 10 .... So i wouldn't want to use anything else!
  • Boes83 said:
    Actually several updates ago the Windows 10 patch introduced a pop-up window asking what you wished to "share" with MS! Before that it was very easy if you know were the options are. Funny enough MS didnt even need pressure from goverments to come up with that pop-up window, there was enough incentive for them hearing the community busting their balls over the spyware on default! As a system engineer i have to say that the administrating tools work like a charm on 10 .... So i wouldn't want to use anything else!
    The update you mentioned merely adds a few additional privacy options to choose from and clarifies what Win10 shares with MS at the basic level of telemetry and feedback (not explaining the full telemetry, mind you).

The main problem has always been the lack of control, with important privacy options unavailable to the average user without going into advanced mode system tweaking and registry editing. The standard options presented to you in the settings and during the installation are just the tip of the iceberg.

Another problem is that many updates simply override some of the options you selected and set them back to default - usually without your knowledge. Or add additional ones that you're not always aware of.

This rogue behaviour (in the RPG sense, sneaky, hiding from you and doing stuff behind your back), combined with a significantly lower degree of control over your system compared to previous ones are the main problem and the main reason many people will continue to distrust MS.

And finally, your statement about MS not needing any government pressure to start looking into Win10 privacy settings is false. Perhaps the US government let things slide, but in several other countries MS has been facing formal investigations for months now (in some cases more than a year) by privacy watchdogs and this has had a clear effect. The feedback from the community in this case is wildly overstated, as users are not MS customers, they (their data) are MS' product. But it's always a nice PR when mandatory changes can be presented as "see, we listen to you, guys!".

But back to the topic: since AoC is based on the Unreal engine, Vulcan support will be in by default. Unless Intrepid have a specific reason to focus on DX12 only, the engine will support all kinds of APIs that are part of the Unreal package. I don't think we should worry too much about this...
  • If we would have Vulcan I would be really happy.

OpenGL (and glide) have always been better then DirectX. The only reason DirectX prospered is because of pressure from biggest companies to push their own.

People will remember how Voodoo was bought out just to stop it's climb to the top. Sadly politics and financial interests have roots everywhere, even in gaming industry...
  • Being UE4 based, Vulkan shouldn't be an issue.   I'm not going to cry or whine or beg, but I do hope to see a Linux version sometime down the road (not at release).
  • Windows 10 isn't as bad as anyone in this thread states.  If it was, it wouldn't be used in an enterprise environment.  That said, I'm not going to argue or discuss it's merits, as it is just a flame war waiting to happen as is already mentioned.

The only thing you need to know about what OS you'll be using to play Ashes at launch is will it be Linux, or Windows 10?  Windows 8 is a bad joke, and Windows 7 is going to be hitting end of life.  Say what you will about 10, but you *do not* want to be running an OS at end of life.  Bad things happen.

Windows 7 end of life - January 14, 2020  
  • At this point in time it definitely needs to be back compatible with DirectX11, and I have no doubt it will be. There is a MASSIVE range of computers out there that people use for gaming, and that is not changing. So to require something above what the average computer has, or at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the pop, would restrict game access, and that isn't something the devs want.
  • Say what you will about 10, but you *do not* want to be running an OS at end of life.  Bad things happen.

People still run Windows XP and if they care of it, they have no problems whatsoever.

The only problem with windows 7 is no support for DX12.
  • I have the original "Spydows 10", I've only ran a single large update for it since I got it. I disable and deny them now, because the update caused issues with my GPU so I system restored. It isn't a terrible OS, but it's quite... "f***-ey".
  • With the new Ryzon series processors and DX12 it is only a matter of time before we have to go windows 10. Microsoft will not offer driver updates for gaming using windows 7 with new Ryzon/Intel processors. Another option is to set up a duel boot for both systems and only use 10 when you need to. Not a bad idea anywhays because windows 10 doesn't really play well with old games. I'm in the process of a new build and will have to buy Spydows 10 but will be duel booting. If there is a will there is a way!!
  • I'm a full time Linux user.   I haven't dual booted in years.  I also don't game like I used to.  Games tend to bore me these days. I just don't see anything new; everything is been there, done that.

This game, from what I've seen so far, seems to check a lot of the boxes of what I've been wanting in a new MMO experience.  While I don't expect it to come to Linux, I do have hope given the attitude of the devs.   They've already said they're coding to be as cross-platform as possible and keeping Windows specific code modularized, and they're open to other platforms at some point.

That said, I'll be trying to use Wine first, and failing that, will set up a VM with GPU passthrough.   
  • hope to see it in DX11 or vulkan