Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Put important points on your map?

Since walking over a point of interest won't actually trigger anything on your map, it would be cool to just a little dot where it is for the future. In a way this causes the player to be pro-active and not just run through a forest whilst looking at their 2nd monitor

Comments

• Options
    From snippets of information it seems there will be no symbols to denote points of interest on your map a feature that I love btw. People will have to go out and truly explore the world or rely on information gleaned from others, you could even sell such information, ahh the possibilities. A marker on your personal map would be a good idea as long as you take the time to put the mark on yourself. Once you reach the tavern you can go to the interactive map and point out the location of this point of interest, for a few coins of course.

This for me at least just adds another layer of depth to the game, and a layer the I want it now generation will hate.
  • Options
    Varkun said:
    From snippets of information it seems there will be no symbols to denote points of interest on your map a feature that I love btw. People will have to go out and truly explore the world or rely on information gleaned from others, you could even sell such information, ahh the possibilities. A marker on your personal map would be a good idea as long as you take the time to put the mark on yourself. Once you reach the tavern you can go to the interactive map and point out the location of this point of interest, for a few coins of course.

This for me at least just adds another layer of depth to the game, and a layer the I want it now generation will hate.
    I love the lack of guidance too. An actual concern of mine is that the node system will get figured out and posted online what node to get to what level to open up certain quests and dungeons. I'm hoping the community is tight lipped with secrets and not putting out a bunch of guides and a defined path emerges. 
  • Options
    Making the mapping of a game world a player driven feature has been long ignored by developers. I fully support getting rid of system maps. Want immersion? Let the players purchase crude in game maps and for anything better, make them ourselves. How? I don't care. In game editor seems more reasonable. OR, or, the more you explore an area, the more your map gets detailed. So the system uses fog or war mapping and does it for you, but the level of detail starts out super crude and gets more detailed as you Level up that skill, i.e. spend more time in one area. For example, a player that runs through a dungeon or area often should have a more detailed map than a first timer. I think there is some cool depth that could be added to a game with this. Certain races and classes are going to be better at making maps of course, just like I'd expect a dwarf to figure out mining faster than an elf, eh?
  • Options
    Althor said:
    Varkun said:

I love the lack of guidance too. An actual concern of mine is that the node system will get figured out and posted online what node to get to what level to open up certain quests and dungeons. I'm hoping the community is tight lipped with secrets and not putting out a bunch of guides and a defined path emerges. 

I think that will happen as the knowledge base increases as the game progresses but the trick is to place new things into the nodes that will need to be found. As new content comes out with updates there should be new things to be discovered in areas you have already explored, say a flood or land slip  has uncovered a cave entrance or a rune covered stone etc. New things can and will be introduced into the game world and you will need to explore areas all over again to find them.  
  • Options
    I totally agree with not having a map with markers.  Only game I can compare to this would be Arma 2.  Back when I play it, I would play wasteland map and you were dropped into the game with nothing.  You had a map but you couldn't see your marker and it had land marks on there but it was hard to make out.  what did help a little is they had the maps laid out in 100 meter blocks so you could somewhat find your way around.  Bt half the fun was trying to get my bearing and exploring.
  • Options
    Most games have the ability to drop a waypoint. But usually that's about all it is, just a point. No info, no nothing.

If we could drop a point and then add a comment, or change colours and types of icon that would be pretty sweet. Then your map would be very custom for you.
  • Options
    I would like to see the map slowly evolve as you explore and if you uncover something interesting you can place your own pin on your personal map, you can then enter any notes you desire that will pop up when the map is open and you mouse over it. You could set a colour for the pins to denote different things such as resources, dungeons and any other points you consider worth putting on there.
  • Options
    Anyone else looking forward to passing out false info and setting up ambushes? Thats the first thing that came to my mind when i read that there wont be quest areas or points of interest displayed on the map. Give em the shake down!
  • Options
    Ha, be careful of who you listen to you mean :smiley: Love It.

But as to node info and development going on the internet, unless you're sitting behind intrepids desk, how is anyone going to know which of the myriad of possible factors is the one that triggered the event.

Was it the main node, Any one of its satellite smaller nodes within the larger zoi. The number of freeholds in that zoi, the exact % of religious quests done or metal mined?

Nah, there'll be info out there, but I hope that it's near impossible to recreate deliberately
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Map info sharing between guild members would be cool.

We know there will be battle maps. Why not add a guild map system, so you can:

1. press M to open personal map (world map, with your own notes)
    2. press CTRL+M to open guild map (world map, where guild officers added info important for guild members to see)

This would not be only about siege-ing, but about everyday life, including guild wars, trading, crafting, whatever.