Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Economically Sustainable Artisian

I've only a few questions that I felt haven't been addressed throughly concerning artisian skills and their economic benefit toward the player.

Starting with farms and mines, how will the player to reap a good profit for this? What material will it cost to maintain? For farming, must be water, mulch, rake, dib the seeds... and will this cost money or will it be an automatic process?

With mining, must we inspect, break and send the paydirt through a wash plant? Or will it be automatic?

Cost of operations should diffently be a thing if we are doing work that requires labor!

I'm not saying we should go overboard and require players to acquire a tractor or wash plant, rather, I think that players should have to take their resources somewhere to be processed, or the workers could take care of that.. it doesn't matter how and doesn't matter, at least to me, if there aren't actual mechanics for this... I just feel there should be realistic costs.

Wheat doesn't magically grow... the people of Verra tilled the soil for it. Copper didn't suddenly form into bearings and weaponry, a miner dug it out and went to a smith.

For all artisian skills.. fishing, woodcutting, jewerly, animal husbandry, cooking... does anyone else agree that there should be more economic involvement to them instead of them being instantly done? Whether for costliness or profit?

Another thing is the profit that an artisian makes. Are artisian skills desgined to be a means of reasonable income for players? So much so that each player would try to have their own operation going in order to acquire extra gold? Will playera be able to EXPAND (very important) their territory to give themselves more oppurtunity for profit? Keep in mind that I don't mean that a player should solely profit... maybe the lake they have occupied is full of invaluable fish, or maybe the trees they planned to cut aren't a good type...etc. There should be mistakes that one can make as well as good moments.

Final thing: People who don't plan to PvP are expecting the artisian class to be a great source of their content. They want to become rich and make themselves be known in the world and acheive their own world-firsts... it's important that we make the dedication that we plan to put into developing these skills be rewarded.

Comments

• Options
    There is an incredible amount of information that is yet to be revealed to do with the artisan type skills and how they will work. We do know they will be divided into 3 areas, gathering, refining, and crafting. Gatherer will harvest all manner of goods though how this will be structured  we simply do not know but if you desire to be truly proficient you may have to focus your skill into one area as a gatherer say mining. The same principal will apply to refining and crafting.

So if you go out and harvest some ore you will then have to find someone with the appropriate refining skills to be able turn your raw ore into bars, as to what else refiners will be able to do we simply do not know. There is going to be a dependence between gatherers, refiners, and crafters one character will simply not be able to do it all unlike so many other games out there. Even with a large number of alts it will take a considerable time investment to be able to accomplish this.

There is simply too much unknown at this point to answer most of the questions you pose in the OP and it may be sometime before much more is revealed. We know crafting will be a main pillar of the game and will receive the care and attention such a pillar of the game deserves.