Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts on game ideas of "You'r our only hope/hero"

Hey guys, not sure if this has been touched on by the Devs, and if so someone please let me know. Do you think AoC will follow the story archetype of you being the "hero to save the world" or the one of many category. I personally like stories better where I can impact it, but not where I am the one true hero, the reason being well, you're not. There are lots of other heroes out there, and when you have thousands of people being the savior I find it lackluster and pulls you out. 

It seems great for single player games, always enjoy that. But for MMOs, I would much prefer the idea of: There is X thing happening and we need people to stop it, who is willing to help? And maybe as you do stuff, you accrue some merit, but never be placed at savior status. '

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    It does seem to be a concept that in a way does not really fit into an mmo, the you are our only hope type scenario, when there are thousands of people doing exactly the same quests you are. They just like yo are the one and only hero who can save the day, I think this may not be the case with ashes.

It has been said ashes will be about community, and that community working together to achieve collective goals, there will be quests epic monsters to be fought treasures to be found but as for world saving no not so much. It will not be a theampark ride where there is a narrative of set quests where you save the world. It will be more of a sandbox where there will be many options available to progress your personal story.

I feel there will be more opportunity for people to become more well known in ashes than some other games, if that be as the leader of a node, a master of pvp combat, a group able to crush the hardest raids, one of the greatest crafters in all the realms or some other possibility yet to come to light. Personally I see so many possibilities in ashes and saving the world along with half a million other people will not be one of them.

So no world saving, you will tread your own unique path this time around. 

• Options
    I am glad to hear that you feel that way Varkun! I can only hope so, and I feel like your right. The pulse of AoC seems to be more geared toward the community aspect as well as open world immersion versus a linear storyline. I'm sure those will be there too, but once they are done, the game isn't over!
  • Options
    @Tiberious The more I learn about ashes the more it points to being about choosing your own path, hopefully the tools will be there for us to do just that.
  • Options
    I agree, I expect the story to acknowledge that you're not the only player character in the world! That being said I do hope they don't completely do away with having a good story all together, since I really enjoy that part of mmos to be perfectly honest! Just so long as it doesn't break immersion in the "you're our only hope" sense.
  • Options
    The lore of verra will play a very important part in the narrative and as yet there is very little revealed and that is on purpose. So I expect some in depth lore behind verra and why the world was abandoned, and why we have come back to it.

The cards are being played very close to the chest in this reguard. 
  • Options
    Some folks will be heroes, some will be villains, and some will just slack around the taverns.