Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What great ideas from past MMOs do you see making it into AoC?

Over the years I played in Ultima Online (UO), DAoC, SWG, WoW, Wildstar, City of Heroes, to name a few. They all had some good ideas, and they had a few misses too. With SWG it was fine as it was, then someone said lets dum it down, then that ended that game. Oh the pain of it all.

I am just wonder if any of the past great ideas from older games, will find it's way into the heart of AoC?

Oh and the king of my heart break that never happened. UO2. Still burns to this day. They had some good idea planned for this game, but it was told they didn't want to break up the community with the newer game at the time, and pulled the plug. Talk about burn. It looks very dated now, but they had some ideas that would have been great IMO.

(UO2 concept video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWumht6AuZo

Comments

• Options

I played a lot of Mmorpg, and although many attracted me more to their gameplay. There are two elements, the two coming from the same game. First of all, the possibility of playing music via instruments reading the "abc" or "abc file" and the mounted combat. For the second I do not know if it exists in another Mmorpg but I have in any case discovered on "The lord of the ring online". Then there is one last thing, being able to tame the animals found in nature. One thing that I find great, but not very much in the end.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Ocean content. 

As big of a flaming dumpster fire that game turned into, it's hard to not to agree that the sea content of Archeage was fun, innovative and original. It opens up a whole new arena of play and became my favorite part of the game. 

I know Steven played Archeage, and I know he sailed the seas (I seen it!) so when they announced the Kickstarter stretch goal for expanded sea content, I almost did a backflip with excitement. 

I will be studying and breaking down how shops work in this game and have really high hopes!
  • Options
    Browser access to the Auction House!

They had this for the first few years in Neverwinter and it was a great benefit for those of us who have day jobs and can't monitor auctions 24/7 for deals.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Ocean content. 

As big of a flaming dumpster fire that game turned into, it's hard to not to agree that the sea content of Archeage was fun, innovative and original. It opens up a whole new arena of play and became my favorite part of the game. 

I know Steven played Archeage, and I know he sailed the seas (I seen it!) so when they announced the Kickstarter stretch goal for expanded sea content, I almost did a backflip with excitement. 

I will be studying and breaking down how shops work in this game and have really high hopes!
    I was passing 70% of my time steering my ship. When it was not my warship it was my merchantship hehe (even if my galleon was mostly used with p2w boxes cause they couldn't catch me with it lmao).

Also, customised crests and playable music IG was good "decoration" mechanics.
  • Options
    warhammer age of reckoning  (god rest its soul) had quite a good siege mechanic and I would like to see that in ashes as well just on a much larger scale 
  • Options
    I really liked the treasure map/cartography of UO. While the rewards weren't always worth it was still alot of fun to do. I'd love to see something like that.
  • Options
    Serissa said:
    I really liked the treasure map/cartography of UO. While the rewards weren't always worth it was still alot of fun to do. I'd love to see something like that.
    I totally agree with this. I hope they add this type of questing in AoC. You find a map off a monster, and it opens the door to a treasure hunt. Also, players can and should make maps to hidden items for others to find. Something hat could be a guild type event with this idea.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Ocean content. 

That!!  Also the waiting of new ship models, submarines!!  SUBMARINES is a subject not event archeage touched yet. But they will release a new ship which is half/half.. it goes underwater .  Underwater caves and exploration with chests, etc is GREAT.
  • Options
    I kinda like Guild Wars 2’s idea of double tapping a button to “dodge roll” haha I got really addicted to basically just rolling around everywhere ... it was pretty fun!
  • Options
    Oyranos said:
    Karthos said:
    Ocean content. 

That!!  Also the waiting of new ship models, submarines!!  SUBMARINES is a subject not event archeage touched yet. But they will release a new ship which is half/half.. it goes underwater .  Underwater caves and exploration with chests, etc is GREAT.
    Archeage had subs in the Alpha. Two man subs with torpedos. They were massively broken.
  • Options
    Karthos said:

This is something I'm pumped about as well. The stalls sound really cool as I understand them. Nothing better than realizing you're richer every time you log in.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    warhammer age of reckoning  (god rest its soul) had quite a good siege mechanic and I would like to see that in ashes as well just on a much larger scale 
    WAR was a great PVP setup. That was really the only game where I enjoyed taking part in PVP. Even the battlegrounds were pretty sweet.
  • Options
    Surprise  events, some live,  such as we had in EQ1 and Asherons call. 

• Options
    How about a return to EQ1 and their quest system that didn't involve an NPC with a question mark over their head and a detailed list of the steps for the quest. Talk to the NPCs, discover their needs and desires and then find the quest and it's enigmatic steps to complete. Make it interesting, not so formulaic.
  • Options
    Oyranos said:
    Karthos said:
    Ocean content. 

Subs have been in AA for well over a year now.  They were just removed early on (after being in during Alpha) due to being OP
  • Options
    I ended up here with a Google search for both Ultima Online and Ashes of Creation. I've played all the games the OP has posted and nothing has ever compared to Ultima Online (Possibly Neocron). I'm hoping that housing and the general feel of AoC is anything like UO. UO obviously had a blank canvas being the pioneer or MMOs but you felt like you had a whole world of wonder to discover at your own pace, you were not spoon fed like every other game released recently.

Any other Ultima  Online players looking forward to the release of AoC?
  • Options
    **** :smiley:
  • Options
    Possibility to cut off heads of fallen opponents as a trophy - great feature which I saw only in UO.
    Named heads could be placed on house wall etc.
  • Options
    Pekoz said:
    Possibility to cut off heads of fallen opponents as a trophy - great feature which I saw only in UO.
    Named heads could be placed on house wall etc.

Not only the heads, but you could chop up the body. I always seen that as over the top. lol
  • Options
    Yes but only heads were named. Other parts were nameless.
    I miss my house with walls built from heads  :'( 
  • Options
    Pekoz said:
    Yes but only heads were named. Other parts were nameless.
    I miss my house with walls built from heads  :'( 

I once owned a Tower in UO, I miss that too.

• Options
    I would love to see add-ons for the quality of life things. 
    Also interbreeding of animals. 
  • Options
    Well, since they have said anything that would need an add-on for they will eventually add as a feature depending on demand. (Since it is in game by them, technically not an add-on).
    We know that there will be interbreeding of animals. Spent 5 minutes talking about what to call a horse/turtle cross-breed in a livestream. Think Hurtle was the final call.