Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Features You Hope To See In AoC

Just as a preface, I have been playing MMOs (and other genres for longer) for about 18 years beginning with The 4th coming in 1999.  (Lifetime game lover since my mother brought me to work as a kid and left me in the computer lab with floppy disks and DOS PCs to keep me out of her hair)

Here are a list of features that make a game both more enjoyable and increase replay value for me. I hope I will find these in some form in AoC.

Puzzles:

My favorite feature in the 4th coming, hands down, was the quest to be reborn. Upon reaching level 75, a player could choose to continue leveling (up to 200 with exponentially increasing xp per level) or be reborn with higher base stats, wings suited to their faction and an aura that assisted in combat. To do this, the player had to navigate a dungeon at the edge of level 75 difficulty solving puzzles; obtaining keys, killing creatures in sequence, finding the one vulnerable creature while trapped in a room with many invulnerable creatures to access the next room, and more.  The excitement bordering on anxiety caused by this was a thrill.  

(Image: The 4th Coming)

Environmental Interactivity:

If ever there was a sad gaming tale, besides the fact that Ultima X: Odyssey was never released, it would be the story of Wildstar.  But let's focus on its groundbreaking strengths.  Dungeons and raids in Wildstar took a game with a visually basic style and made it incredibly interactive. The surfaces on which you stood and walls surrounding you were living things. Kill the wrong creatures in the wrong spots and you might find people start disappearing through sneaky little holes in the floor.  This encourages a commitment to immediate and upcoming challenges in a fight which fosters a more engaged raiding team and prevents tunnel vision tank and spank.

(Image: Wildstar)

Diversity of Artistic Style and Theme:

Ever play a game where it feels like you could walk across the world and still be in the same place? If so, you probably played The Elder Scrolls online. Diversity of theme and where appropriate, artistic style, turn zones into living breathing entities and are as important to zones as character traits are to storyline. To their credit, Blizzard have done an excellent job of creating World of Warcraft zones that have their own distinct feel. This is what where art really applies to MMOs. Zones should affect your mood, but developers beware: if you craft mood-altering zones (and hopefully you do), themes should not be overdone.

(Image: World of Warcraft)

In-World Player Housing:

Player housing has been done a million ways and one.  What makes housing feel like a true asset and something deeply personal?  Location, location, location.  Some games relegate player housing to distinct housing instances. Final Fantasy XIV was closer to the mark with residential districts.  Personally, I believe that games like Ultima Online and Entropia Universe nailed it.  Their greatest success in player housing was the sandbox nature of it.  There were very, very large amounts of land available for player housing and it was available in key areas in the world.  Your home should be for whatever purpose you choose. Traders will choose locations conducive to sales of reagents, potions, etc where they will be in demand.  Miners would elect for locations that provide higher yields and easier access to a smelting station.  This is important because it feels like you are still in the same world and you own a piece of it for a specific purpose. When housing is too restricted, it almost feels like a mini-game within a game and damages immersion.

(Image: Ultima Online)

There is a lot more I would like to talk about.  Maybe I am just ranting and reminiscing to myself, but I will probably post more later anyways. Thanks if you read this. Respond if you agree. Respond if you disagree. What are the strongest points of MMOs that you hope to see in Ashes of Creation?

-Masochrist

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    I would like to be abble to put personalised crests like in Archeage, on Sails, Ships, Machines, Cloack, Houses, why not even weapons ?

I also would like to be abble to play music in AoC like in Archeage, but if possible not only MIDI music, all possible music.

What's that i want a copy of AA ? hell no :'(

BUT FIRST, let them release the game hehe