Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fighting a World Boss

As we all know, when players change the world in AoC world bosses will eventually start showing up. My question is, how will players fight them? Will world bosses be a 1 time deal and who ever wasn't at the event is sol, or will all players have a chance to fight them? If all players do get to fight them how do you think it would work? I'm curious to see what the general opinion is on World Bosses.

Tasamuel

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    It'll be an open event. Remember that the devs were saying that players within the area will get an announcment that a World Boss is attacking and can choose to act or not.
  • Options
    I will act for sure. Have to defend our node or the boss will destroy it! :(
  • Options
    The only thing that can destroy a node is a siege.
  • Options
    Elder said:
    The only thing that can destroy a node is a siege.
    This is true, however they did say that certain buildings/improvements to the node could be impacted by monster coin/world boss actions. Not destroyed, but maybe damaged to be inoperable or limited function without expensive repairs.
  • Options
    When a world event is triggered there will be those who respond quickly, will they be enough to deal with the threat or will they perish. Word may need to spread more people are needed to deal with the threat. Does the threat become stronger the longer it runs requiring a large portion of the node to mobalise and overcome it.

Threats may very will be one off events and once they are over may not occure again, so yes people will miss out, but there should be other events that happen at different times so with luck people will get to enjoy the world event content in one form or other.

An event may not be as simple as destroying a monster it may well be a natural event that requires an investment of resources from within the node to overcome it, and that will take time and the efforts of many, the resources may have to come from another node further away perhaps an enemy node that does not want to see your threat overcome. Another option could be something has been released and while you can push it back you can not defeat it until some lore has been discovered on how to banish it once again or imprison it, again a node wide effort may be needed to gather the resources to accomplish this.

World events don't and probably wont be just spank the monster. 
  • Options
    Varkun said:

Threats may very will be one off events and once they are over may not occure again, so yes people will miss out, but there should be other events that happen at different times so with luck people will get to enjoy the world event content in one form or other.

The fact that these events may very well only occur once per server, or at least not be repeated for a long period of time (months), should mean that everyone in a node is going to want to participate. 

I don't think there will be many people who go "nah, I'm too busy listing auctions" to deal with the huge fire elemental that is slowly burning through the countryside".
  • Options
    When players make changes to the world, there can be multiple results from that.

What most people are discussing is the node leveling event.  Whenever you level a node various events can happen, some big, some small.  These are one time events, and if you aren't there at the time they occur, you miss out.  Could be a swarm of angry rabbits attacking, or could be a dragon.  Anyone in the area at the time is going to get involved for the rewards, chance to use a monster token, and to protect the node.

One of the other possibilities is that you could unlock a raid or dungeon from the actions taken in the node.  These will be semi-permanent fixtures that can be enjoyed by anyone at any time.  I say semi-permanent because it's possible that if the node changes and the requirements for the dungeon / raid are no longer met, it will close down.

For the event we do know there will be a publicly broadcast warning.  For the dungeon/raid we will most likely have to find it, or receive a quest from an NPC.  Steven has a thing for people making effort to locate things, so i doubt there will be a "you unlocked a raid!" announcement.  Exceptions to this could be linked to an event, like say we get attacked by a dragon, and beat the boss, but we don't kill it.  Instead we get a notification "the dragon retreats to it's lair", that sounds a lot like a new raid announcement to me.
  • Options
    Bajjer said:
    Varkun said:

The fact that these events may very well only occur once per server, or at least not be repeated for a long period of time (months), should mean that everyone in a node is going to want to participate. 

I don't think there will be many people who go "nah, I'm too busy listing auctions" to deal with the huge fire elemental that is slowly burning through the countryside".

I agree people will want to take part and will come from all over to vanquish what ever nasty has been unleashed. I know I will drop what I am doing.

When I was referring to missing out I was thinking more of those who were not logged into the game thus they miss the event, but hopefully there will be some mechanic in place to time these events during the servers primetime so as many people as possible can participate. But then if an event occurred during non primetime there may not be enough people to deal with it thus the problem grows/rampages across the node and causes a real crisis that takes longer to deal with. 

• Options
    One thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned is the getting to the boss in the first place. If I am correctly informed fast travel in AOC will not be like other MMOs. You won't simply be able to zip from halfway across the map in seconds. Usually a flood of players do this and the boss is dead before you can even get there. That may not be the case in AOC.
  • Options
    MrWaffles said:
    One thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned is the getting to the boss in the first place. If I am correctly informed fast travel in AOC will not be like other MMOs. You won't simply be able to zip from halfway across the map in seconds. Usually a flood of players do this and the boss is dead before you can even get there. That may not be the case in AOC.

This is correct it will take time for there to be enough people to even try and take on one of these events, I would imagine there will be time for word to get around.