Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Who will Police AOC

So one wonders if there will be a guild that will police evil doers in AOC? I have a feeling that PKing will not be allowed in city’s but I wonder if a large guild will take on the responsibility of having their own police that is recognized by each node to target players who decide to do wrong.  Like having players patrol the residential area out side of the city limits or having guards for hire to watch caravans.  IDK if anyone has seen Log horizon anime, but I have a feeling that AOC will have a governmental base like how they had in the beginning and how each large guild had a purpose. I’m excited to see how the game will grow and how all the major guild leaders will corporate.

Comments

• Options
    The will always be a White Knight in a server. Their effectiveness is speculative at best, but the effort will likely be there. I don't see Ashes being any different in this regard. That being said, I do love me some PvP, so I hope they are viable! Bring me blood and war =3
  • Options
    These guys

• Options
    During launch and in the first month it will be hard, because most people will focus on their own progression first.

Later on however, when people are on max level, they will often look for things to do besides raiding, crafting and such. Many people will then engage in bounty hunting and roaming around just looking for where trouble is taking place to get involved.

So don't worry, PK players will not run freely and unrestricted.
  • Options
    Also PK players are usually not organized and loyal to entire PK group. PK players constantly fight each others too, so PK player has to worry about: normal players, bounty hunters that are after him and other PK players that are likely to jump him as well.

And I'm not even considering corruption penalty here yet. I strongly believe we will see very little PK activity in Ashes due to it's mechanics, which saddens me a little, as when world looses on it's danger potential, game becomes a lot more boring. At least for me.
  • Options
    @Gothix I'm sure there will be a fair amount of PK players because people will want to see how the corruption system works. And there are always those people with the PK mentality that will play the game as well. I think the risk of PK players will rise as everyone gets more used to the game.
  • Options
    If there's a demand for it and people feel like it's their calling, there will probably be people who feel like they're the server/node/etc police.
  • Options
    Chaotic neutral is the only way to play a game, punish those that play dirty or get too powerful... maintain balance.
  • Options
    It's not unusual to find people roaming the land ready to help the needy.   
           *.......... looks towards the future....................
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    These guys

Plus the Village People and Men at Work.  Could be gruesome.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Gothix said:
    Also PK players are usually not organized and loyal to entire PK group. PK players constantly fight each others too, so PK player has to worry about: normal players, bounty hunters that are after him and other PK players that are likely to jump him as well.

And I'm not even considering corruption penalty here yet. I strongly believe we will see very little PK activity in Ashes due to it's mechanics, which saddens me a little, as when world looses on it's danger potential, game becomes a lot more boring. At least for me.
    False. Since GMSteven is a big Lineage 2 fan the PVP/PK system has roots from the game. I am a veteran of many years of the game I can say that PKs were very prevalent. 

In one of the server I played in it was very common in a lot of guilds to have a "perma red" toon. This was a character that they gave up on ever getting out of the negative for PKs. Granted this will not happen day one (I hope) but I would say this is bound to happen. They were very organized and took PVP/PKing to another level. It was quite impressive and I could talk about it in detail but I don't want to detour away from your original point.

As for the bounty hunters I hope this will balance the scale. I think it should be system managed though. In Arche Age they had a strange court system managed by the community and it was a joke. If the community manages the bounties it could be influenceable.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Never played Lineage, but did that PK/karma system have cumulative stat reduction for "perma red" players that didn't go away over time, and would eventually make it so they couldn't kill a bunny? Cause while Steven has said he basically copy/pasted the Lineage system to Ashes, they changed some things too.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @MrWaffles but did Lineage 2 have stat reduction through corruption? Because THAT changes everything. Perma red toons become useless for everything and you can as well delete them.

Stat reduction is what will kill PK activity, and its what will eliminate all danger from the world. You are green = you are safe. Sadly.

Servers become PvX "only in name", but for all practical purposes they will be PvE servers with PvP mini games.
  • Options
    Never played Lineage, but did that PK/karma system have cumulative stat reduction for "perma red" players that didn't go away over time, and would eventually make it so they couldn't kill a bunny? Cause while Steven has said he basically copy/pasted the Lineage system to Ashes, they changed some things too.

I also heard this and it gives me hope. L2 did not have this in early days, but did have it in later. The stat reduction wasn't that big of a deal since these players were already high level, but it gave you a buff (debuff in my opinion) that made it impossible to enter towns since the god like guards would 1 hit you. you also couldn't quick teleport. 
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Gothix said:
    @MrWaffles but did Lineage 2 have stat reduction through corruption? Because THAT changes everything. Perma red toons become useless for everything and you can as well delete them.

Stat reduction is what will kill PK activity, and its what will eliminate all danger from the world. You are green = you are safe. Sadly.

Servers become PvX "only in name", but for all practical purposes they will be PvE servers with PvP mini games.

So for people of L2 this is what they did to not completely go red. When you hit another player you would go pink. this means that you are flagged and anyone can also flag and kill you WITHOUT going red. So it turned into how can i trick them into attacking me. This was usually in the form of harassment, but my favorite was to temporarily wear low grade gear to trick the other player to flagging thinking they could take you. then quickly equipping (or not if you are really higher level) and dropping them. Since they flagged you never actually PK'd and wont go corrupt.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    MrWaffles said:

So for people of L2 this is what they did to not completely go red. When you hit another player you would go pink. this means that you are flagged and anyone can also flag and kill you WITHOUT going red. So it turned into how can i trick them into attacking me. This was usually in the form of harassment, but my favorite was to temporarily wear low grade gear to trick the other player to flagging thinking they could take you. then quickly equipping (or not if you are really higher level) and dropping them. Since they flagged you never actually PK'd and wont go corrupt.

And is this how lame you want your PvP chances to be? Having to resort to gear tricks and pray to have any chance for green player exit their safety net and flag themselves for some PvP?

Imho, if corruption will be as they say will be, then PLAYING FLAGGED must be so much more incentivised then what they offered.

And i mean in factor of: having +30% EXP from all sources while you are flagged, movement speed +30% while you are flagged, all loot gained +30% while you are flagged.

You should be able to flag yourself up anywhere BUT you should be able to DE flag yourself only inside city at specific NPC.

With this incentives, players would be able to count on corruption to protect them from PK, BUT they would be INCENTIVIZED to play flagged.

Current system does not incentivze flagging up so much at all.
  • Options
    Imho, if corruption will be as they say will be, then PLAYING FLAGGED must be so much more incentivised then what they offered. 

And i mean in factor of: having +30% EXP from all sources while you are flagged, movement speed +30% while you are flagged, all loot gained +30% while you are flagged.

You should be able to flag yourself up anywhere BUT you should be able to DE flag yourself only inside city at specific NPC.

With this incentives, players would be able to count on corruption to protect them from PK, BUT they would be INCENTIVIZED to play flagged.

I really like this. I want to promote PVP as much as possible and if I can get some incentive to do so that would be awesome.
  • Options
    MrWaffles said:

I really like this. I want to promote PVP as much as possible and if I can get some incentive to do so that would be awesome.
    I think you guys are missing the point of flagging. Flagging happens when you are running across a field completing a quest and someone decides to jump you. Flagging does not happen when you jump people around caravans, when the person you jump fights back, with people that you're at war with, or that you are sieging. Why would you want to incentivize that one scenario?
  • Options
    tugowar said:
    I think you guys are missing the point of flagging. Flagging happens when you are running across a field completing a quest and someone decides to jump you. Flagging does not happen when you jump people around caravans, when the person you jump fights back, with people that you're at war with, or that you are sieging. Why would you want to incentivize that one scenario?
    The war and sieging comment I agree with and have heard mention about it, but have they actually announced how pvp will be around caravans (forgive my ignorance if they have) ?
  • Options
    The war and sieging comment I agree with and have heard mention about it, but have they actually announced how pvp will be around caravans (forgive my ignorance if they have) ?

Yes...the caravans travel surrounded by a pvp bubble. If you enter the bubble you will be asked to declare Attack, Defend, or Ignore. After certain objectives are met then the event will be over.
  • Options
    Gothix said:

And is this how lame you want your PvP chances to be? Having to resort to gear tricks and pray to have any chance for green player exit their safety net and flag themselves for some PvP?

But why are you so intent on attacking players that don't want to PvP. This is what I don't understand. There are going to be so many opportunities for PvP in this game that you will never want for targets, but you seem to have some serious tunnel vision on attacking those players that aren't interested in PvP at that time.

Why is it so important to your enjoyment of the game to be able to kill every single player at whatever time of your choosing? If you actually want to PvP, to match skill and have an entertaining fight, then you aren't going to get that by focusing on the gatherer who doesn't want to PvP at that moment. 

I will PvP all day long, but I don't see the point in targeting players that will provide no challenge and who clearly do not want to participate in that activity. I guess we approach the game in very different ways, but when I PvP I will want to do so to have fun - forcing people to do something they don't want is not my idea of fun.

On those odd occasions where I do want to kill someone who is green then I will happily take that corruption hit to achieve my goal. This would be pretty rare for me and I wouldn't ever get to the point where my gameplay would be detrimentally influenced by the corruption penalties.

It's an incremental process so if a player has heavy corruption, then that really has been a solid choice on their part to get there. As is said all the time here, it's all about risk and reward.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Bajjer said:

But why are you so intent on attacking players that don't want to PvP. This is what I don't understand. There are going to be so many opportunities for PvP in this game that you will never want for targets, but you seem to have some serious tunnel vision on attacking those players that aren't interested in PvP at that time.
    For a couple possible reasons starting from the ground level up to bird's eye view.
    • Tactical: I'm running a caravan for my guild to supply the war effort. A party of players may be "neutral" raiders and I'm not taking any chances.
    • Operational: Attacking a PVE party in a far-flung corner of an enemy's territory distracts their leaders and splits responders from the main army/group.
    • Strategic: General Sherman's March to the Sea scorched earth methods deprives the enemy of tax income and if the enemy continues to fail to provide security, others will flee.
  • Options
    Mrgolde said:
    So one wonders if there will be a guild that will police evil doers in AOC? I have a feeling that PKing will not be allowed in city’s but I wonder if a large guild will take on the responsibility of having their own police that is recognized by each node to target players who decide to do wrong.  Like having players patrol the residential area out side of the city limits or having guards for hire to watch caravans.  IDK if anyone has seen Log horizon anime, but I have a feeling that AOC will have a governmental base like how they had in the beginning and how each large guild had a purpose. I’m excited to see how the game will grow and how all the major guild leaders will corporate.
    Log Horizon is a brilliant series, but does not necessarily apply to every possible circumstance. It's a bit of a shameless plug on my part, but this piece I wrote a while ago was meant to address questions like yours.
  • Options

Gothix said:

I love world PvP, it adds more danger and unpredictability to the environment. It can lead to a stronger community because groups form more often to stay safe in contested areas, and to hunt down the instigators. I do hope there are diminishing returns (and increased corruption) if someone is killing the same player over and over in the open world.

I think instead of giving incentives to the people initiating the fight,  they need to encourage people to fight back. They have already said you lose more resources if you don't defend yourself.  Maybe you lose a piece of gear, gatherable resources, and some gold if you just try to feed corruption to the PvPer. However if you fight back (even knowing you'd lose), you keep all your gear and lose a much smaller portion of your resources.  And when you respawn you are unflagged.
  • Options
    @Bajjer for answer to your question, look at my comment that I just posted in this other thread (so I do not double post).

What PvP-ers want

• Options
    What's the point of PKing non-combatants if PvP is open world w/ Cravans/Battlefields/Sieges or anyone who fights back?
    I still have not figured this out...

As for White Knight police guild, I think that would be super cool! I would likely not join, but I could see going there to report a PK'er. I would prefer a secret assassins guild filled with bounty hunters though.