Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Monster Artwork

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited November 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
I was looking at some pre alpha videos and sow some of the beasts in this game :

1)One big monster with spider legs with mutated humunoid upper body  looks like it is something out of the Resident Evil series.   Has more of a sci-fi feel to it.

2) Saw two small monsters with big teeth.  Looked kind of a not too cute pokeman with big teeth.

As far the game world is concerned it is very pretty has a take your breath away tone to it.
Really epic.  I do not think the artstlyes of the beasts and world  blend in together.  For example the movie Underworld and it sequels have a very gothic look to them. The entire movie is kind of dark and morbid on purpose. No bright colors like pink and yellow.

Here is one video game example in WoW In MOP there were this giant bunny rabbits we had to kill and we just came from killing DeathWing and his minions.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    The big scary monsters are going to be scary, I don't see the problem. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    I can understand the concern... full immersion and suddenly Barney!

But my view is to not worry, and to think of this as interior design. 

It shouldn't matter how out of place a monster or object might feel, if described and taken out of the context, as long as all the individual pieces have been chosen and bought together by the same individual, then there should be cohesion in the whole.
    Even a mismatched jumble (which I doubt we're getting) is still a mismatched jumble of designs that have appealed to the same set of eyes, so share similar qualities. :)
  • Options
    I agree with megs, you also have to keep in mind that you wont always be going into the home environment of these mobs. This is purely hypothetical in details but the idea is the same.. say goblins invade your node during a beautiful spring day, the sun is shining, your tulips are blooming and youre harvesting them to cart into town with the caravan you know your buddy has passing by soon. well then wouldnt it be ok to be fighting grisly grey/green mottled creatures that look like they crawled out of a moldy cave in an environment that looks like goldshire from WoW? No it doesnt make sense for environs and creatures of such contrast to meet in a static environment without some kind of reasoning. but given all the things ive read in my week of super nerding on this forum i have faith the devs have only good things in store for us. hell ill take a good chunk of bad so long as theres not a ridiculous cash store(totally cool with bound cosmetic items being sold for money but unbound ruins game economies fast) and they cater to the PvE and PvP as fairly as possible ( not equal, that means 50/50... fairly).
  • Options
    I just think that if I looked at let say bears, feline cats, elks, wolves, and then look at the demonic bunny they created well guess which one does not fit in.
  • Options
    You can't always judge a book by its cover!

Behold!
  • Options
    Ashes of Creation is a high fantasy world that is also consumed with corruption. This to me does mean we are going to have some pretty out of place and unusual monster designs.

In my opinion 
    • Creatures already look weird because it is high fantasy.
    • Corruption tries to "undo" creation - thus making creatures look disturbing, mutated and out of place.

I expect monster designs in Ashes to feel disturbing and that they shouldn't belong there because well, they have been spoiled by corruption and shouldn't exist.

• Options
    I'm hoping for Eldritch inspired monsters, along with a few generic placements here and there.