Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes of Creation for the solo player? Or?

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited November 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
It just seems that the flux of this game is gravitating more and more towards grouping activities. All I hear is "don't go out there alone or else you might get ambushed, or soloing won't get you top gear unless your raiding (40 players) with a traditional loot system".

It just seems that the most OP pvp players will be the one's who actually get the best gear from doing group content like WoW style by being part of a large guild. As I pvp'er, am I going to be viable if I just play solo and find my own gear? What about solo dungeons? DO they even exist in this game and what do they have to offer? I know it's too early for theory crafting and that there are no separate PVP gear vs PVE, but there is still going to be gear that will help your build.

Comments

• Options
    This is another thread that pops up every couple weeks. MMO-Massive Multiplayer Online should say it all. They have stated that yes there will be solo play available, but just like anything else in life, you will need others to get the real shinies. With gear not being soulbound or BOP except in extremely limited instances, those that do not want to do group content and wish to solo, will then need to make the money to buy that gear. One of their core pillars is their stated Risk vs Reward mantra. Epic effort brings epic loot. So one person trying to push a boulder up Shiny Loot Mountain will most likely fail, a group of people, the larger the better, will be able push it to the top. If you are going to be a solo player, then why does what anyone else is wearing matter to you? You aren't going to be competitive in pvp, pve, or several other facets of the game. They have stated that there will be other ways to gain the "best" equipment than the traditional endgame raiding mechanics that themepark mmos employ. As you said, early days, so anything mentioned beyond a quote from Steven is just people talking out their ass.

• Options
    Valerian said:
    It just seems that the flux of this game is gravitating more and more towards grouping activities. All I hear is "don't go out there alone or else you might get ambushed, or soloing won't get you top gear unless your raiding (40 players) with a traditional loot system".

It just seems that the most OP pvp players will be the one's who actually get the best gear from doing group content like WoW style by being part of a large guild. As I pvp'er, am I going to be viable if I just play solo and find my own gear? What about solo dungeons? DO they even exist in this game and what do they have to offer? I know it's too early for theory crafting and that there are no separate PVP gear vs PVE, but there is still going to be gear that will help your build.

Ok, so they have been making it clear that they want to give this genre a bit of a make over compared to the mmos on the current market. They are going for a more cohesive, group oriented, social game, rather than a solo/do everything yourself kind of game like most mmos today. This means that yes, if you want to progress in any fashion, you will need to group up and talk to people. To be honest, why play an mmo if you want to play by yourself :neutral: Anywho, that is what they are going for. 

To answer your question, you might be able to progress in some areas of the game by yourself, but the majority of progression content will probably be revolving around group activities. It is honestly to early to tell, but that is the direction they are taking right now.

Like you said, there will not be a separation between pvp and pve gear. This means that it will be more like ESO, where you are more free to build against players based on stats, instead of building separate sets based around specific pvp stats.

I know I'm rambling at this point, but to finish it off, the most geared players in this setting should be those in the hardcore/high end guilds that dedicate their time and effort into completing difficult raids/world boss kills/etc. However, from what I have gathered, the crafted gear in the game will be on par or perhaps better than dungeon/raid drops. Personally, I think they will probably make it so if you are going for a cleric staff that focuses on mana regen and healing, the crafted staff works better. If you are a dps cleric, maybe staff X from raid X works better for your build. I imagine it will be something like that.

To sum up, eventually you will need to play with people and socialize. I don't think they will have many, if any, solo dungeons. Solo players will probably have a rude awakening when jumping into AoC compared to players that are used to playing in groups/raids.
  • Options
    I don't think AoC plans on having solo dungeons.

I think a big push for this game is the idea of how MMOs used to be or rather, how you need a sense of community to thrive. Sure you can be a loner, but there's gonna be some big bad creatures out there who will drop nice shinies that take strategy and teamwork to take down. I guess what I am saying is: should there be a way to get best gear solo, when others need to work as a group to obtain it?

I understand your desire to be the lone wolf so to speak, and maybe there will be a way to incorporate getting items for players killed ect. But once again, just because you want to travel solo, quest solo and explore solo, does not mitigate the abilities of parties that will be out there. Groups will simply be better equipped to fight whats out in Verra.

Feel free to solo, but at your own disadvantage. 

Something to note, it's very doable to be with a guild to obtain high gear or other things, and go do solo quests and content as well. I think in most every game I have played the people who make a name for themselves in solo play, have also done group play in order to get the gear they need to succeed in solo play. Why would group if you could attain same or better gear alone?

Shoot, even in PvP settings, forming groups for raids or planned battlegrounds is better than footing it alone- to allow coordination.

• Options
    I'm coming from ESO percpective, where you can still be viable PVP'er by finding or buying set gears from guildstores or crafting alone and trying new builds. Sure there are some gear in that game where you have to actually group up and run a dungeon and even then the loot can be trad-able between your comrades but it's not necessary to be competitive. I can easily level an alt from scratch in a few days and try a new build and be competitive all by playing alone without grouping once, and yet ESO is still an MMORPG. Now I know Ashes of creation is a different game and is aimed more on grouping activities, but I guess the one thing I can do is either buy set gears or craft them that gives me hope. I personally don't like more than 4 or maybe 8 player activities, but I don't mind running them if I find reliable players. But If im going to run a 40 player raid with the traditional WoW'esk loot system where I might not even get that gear I want and have to raid for months and months and by then another better gear set comes out from a DLC, then I'm not interested.
  • Options
    I've never liked the gear grind aspect of many MMOs.  When a guild is all about the gear grind instead of a group of friends playing to have fun that's when I lose interest.  I'd rather play casually with a few friends than with a gear oriented guild that regulates every aspect of when and how you play to better attain phat lootz.  Also inevitably power politics seems to enter a lot of guilds at some point.  I've guilded in at least half of the MMOs I played starting with EQ2 and had both good and bad experiences. 

I'd like to find a casual guild for AoC.  One that doesn't have set times and days that you have to be on.  My schedule doesn't allow that for the most part.  I work 2nd shift so that affects my gaming schedule.  Sometimes I can only be on for 30-45 minutes so I'm not going to join a group knowing I will probably have to bail.  That's one reason I do tend to solo quite a bit more than I used to.  Hopefully I'll find my niche in AoC and be able to have fun and contribute to the community.
  • Options
    @Noemad This is kind of my thinking as well. I am interested in experiencing all of the content, but not to the extent where I will be part of a raiding guild that requires attendance three nights a week for 4 hours a pop.

I will be making a nice group of like-minded people and just having fun. I'll definitely be running dungeons and pvping and crafting and exploring and tackling world bosses and raiding, but all from a fairly laidback position. I don't expect anyone to play a certain amount or in a certain way, I don't.

I don't want specific content to be added for solo players though, especially dungeons. The main thing I am looking forward to in Ashes is the community - having to rely on being part of a greater whole. 

I know it sounds harsh when people say "if you don't want to group with other people, then play something other than an MMO", but honestly, this is really the only answer. 

Sure we are all going to play on our own at some points (I'll spend an hour just gathering by myself to relax) but I don't want there to be any content tailored to the solo player. This is one of the things that has ruined the MMO landscape.

Once content is tuned for solo players, those in groups - the intended market of the MMO - just completely breeze through it. Challenge is eroded and community quickly devolves because no one needs each other. 

Ashes is trying to make MMOs great again, and this means community and connecting with other people. I get why this can be a scary prospect for some people, who have not been used to doing this in real life or online, but it really isn't a bad thing. 

If we all embrace the concept I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised at how much fun playing in a community can be. Don't judge Ashes by the current yardstick of toxic MMO communities. This is a fresh start.

A new life awaits you in Verra, a chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.
  • Options
    They addressed soloing during the PAX Q&A with the question from Heidi. Starts at timestamp 23:40.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcOdyuV0tX8
  • Options
    Noemad said:
    I've never liked the gear grind aspect of many MMOs.  When a guild is all about the gear grind instead of a group of friends playing to have fun that's when I lose interest.  I'd rather play casually with a few friends than with a gear oriented guild that regulates every aspect of when and how you play to better attain phat lootz.  Also inevitably power politics seems to enter a lot of guilds at some point.  I've guilded in at least half of the MMOs I played starting with EQ2 and had both good and bad experiences. 

I'd like to find a casual guild for AoC.  One that doesn't have set times and days that you have to be on.  My schedule doesn't allow that for the most part.  I work 2nd shift so that affects my gaming schedule.  Sometimes I can only be on for 30-45 minutes so I'm not going to join a group knowing I will probably have to bail.  That's one reason I do tend to solo quite a bit more than I used to.  Hopefully I'll find my niche in AoC and be able to have fun and contribute to the community.

I suspect you will find a great many guilds with that sentiment my friend :) For instance, I am in a guild in Wow, we have set raid times, but its only twice a week and pretty short 2-2 1/2 hours, and you don't even have to participate to be in the guild. Lots of people join to hang out, do pvp, or some quests or instances. 
  • Options
    Massive Multiplayer Online Role Play Game. MMORPG Not MSORPG S being solo.

The reason so many MMORPG have failed over the years is they went solo play, made the game too convenient and too easy. To quick to level, where crafting became obsolete cause you would out grow the gear you crafted to fast which eventually in most games made crafting pointless. Basically the MMORPG that the younger generations are playing are used to all the things that are wrong with MMORPG because of big companies ruining the Genre.

These days everyone wants to have the best gear and have it now. They want to be end level. Beginner and mid level zones are ghost towns. This system does not work and is the reason why most of these games fail. I imagine in the beginning it started with more the players being at fault by want more while doing less and game companies followed suit make games easier, making game more solo oriented, rushing levels till people would progress faster than they could come up with content. All the effort put into creating amazing beginner and mid level content would be passed by cause everyone is in a rush to get to the end.

MMORPG are meant to be social games where you get to know people and the community and when it was done right people would play the game for 10+ years. So now with things like Kickstarter Developers are able to make games they know people want not what people think they want, for a change. They are able to make games the way they want not according to what Investors want based on market research on what makes quick money rather than what makes a good game.

But there is no reason why a good MMORPG can;t be both solo and group. In EQ1 you could easily solo or group. But as solo you would progress a lot slower cause you would be forced to fight weaker mobs and often 1 maybe 2 at a time so loot would not be great for you level compared to grouping and taking on mobs stronger for you level than you could do on your own.

Basically the stronger the mob is than the level you are at the better loot you will get the more people you have in group the stronger the mobs you fight can be. I think once people that have never played a classic MMORPG will find out they like it and will be like OMG this is what I have been missing this whole time.

• Options
    Dorje said:

The reason so many MMORPG have failed over the years is they went solo play, made the game too convenient and too easy. To quick to level, where crafting became obsolete cause you would out grow the gear you crafted to fast which eventually in most games made crafting pointless. Basically the MMORPG that the younger generations are playing are used to all the things that are wrong with MMORPG because of big companies ruining the Genre.

These days everyone wants to have the best gear and have it now. They want to be end level. Beginner and mid level zones are ghost towns. This system does not work and is the reason why most of these games fail. I imagine in the beginning it started with more the players being at fault by want more while doing less and game companies followed suit make games easier, making game more solo oriented, rushing levels till people would progress faster than they could come up with content. All the effort put into creating amazing beginner and mid level content would be passed by cause everyone is in a rush to get to the end.

MMORPG are meant to be social games where you get to know people and the community and when it was done right people would play the game for 10+ years. So now with things like Kickstarter Developers are able to make games they know people want not what people think they want, for a change. They are able to make games the way they want not according to what Investors want based on market research on what makes quick money rather than what makes a good game.

But there is no reason why a good MMORPG can;t be both solo and group. In EQ1 you could easily solo or group. But as solo you would progress a lot slower cause you would be forced to fight weaker mobs and often 1 maybe 2 at a time so loot would not be great for you level compared to grouping and taking on mobs stronger for you level than you could do on your own.

Basically the stronger the mob is than the level you are at the better loot you will get the more people you have in group the stronger the mobs you fight can be. I think once people that have never played a classic MMORPG will find out they like it and will be like OMG this is what I have been missing this whole time.

MMOs back in the day used to be a niche type of thing.  They didn't have massive followings and embodied the nature of having to group up.  In FFXI you could solo to level 10, but unless you were a specific class, you couldn't really solo at all past that.  You have to actively find groups with no LFG system or anything.  This built communities within games.  It was easy to be well known because you probably literally partied with most of the server.

The MMOs of old focused on group play and didn't cater to casuals because casuals were a very very small minority back then.  Once the MMO appeal came to be, casuals started flocking to them, thus demanding for an easier time, and the companies saw that they would be their biggest cash cow.  Thus all of this instant gratification in MMOs came to be.

It sucks, I miss the days when it took half a year to max the level of one class.
  • Options
    These days, sadly, most MMOs are about making profit for the "company at all costs".

Quality of MMO isn't even secondary, it is way down there in the list.
  • Options
    Trust me, people will not be wanting to grind for gear in a dungeon along with other players in the same group with round robin or auction system for too long. It's going to take months until they get what they want and by that time there will be other things to go for. I thought companies moved away from this kind of traditional loot system cause it doesn't work, too many people will either be elitist about it or just plane quit out of boredom and fatigue. Also, just cause people want to play solo doesn't mean they are not willing to group up, that's ridiculous.
  • Options
    i guess its more a guild based mmo later if you want the best gear
  • Options
    I am a solo player, but that does not mean that I who wants to make a dungeon do not want to go in a tarverne to find other players to make the dungeon! Or find friends to make quests with them. That is just that I do not necessarily want to be in a guild. Which I do not exclude that maybe I can join one.

• Options
    You will be able to play as solo player, it's just that part of content will be unavailable to you if you are not in guild.

Guild wars, fight for ownership of guild castles, having steady group of people you play together with and that are always ready to help you with your caravan transports or to aid you when you get attacked while chopping wood or picking herbs.

Sure you will be able to find random pugs for dungeons, get mercenaries to protect your caravans,... but it will definitely be harder if you are not in guild.
  • Options
    As a working person with a family, I have limited time to play any game let alone for several hours doing a dungeon. I certainly don't have several hours several times a week that I can do dungeons. I would bet that I have not played a game for several hours without long afk's for one reason or another for years and years. So if the goal is a FFX type game where you can't play without a group, and can't get gear without a group, then I don't think this will be a game for me. :'(
  • Options
    /agree with Rollin.

• Options
    They have addressed this in multiple livestreams. Is solo play a viable option? Yes. Will you be able to get the best gear? In many cases, Yes. Will your experience be easier if you choose to tackle content with a group? Most likely. Since gear in almost all cases will NOT be soulbound or BOE, you will be able to buy your stuff from other players to make up for gaps in your gearing strategy. Like anyone who locks themselves into one style of play, your results may vary. Will someone who plays 40 hours a week with an active guild have a different experience that you? Most definitely. Will you be able to enjoy yourself solo taking multiple afk breaks to take care of children or other issues? Maybe?

• Options
    It will most likely just benefit you more as a player being able to group up to take down bosses, probably just an aspect of the game you can't avoid... there will be OP solo classes, which... as a solo player you will have to figure out what works best for you. 
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Pooka said:
    Dorje said:

MMOs back in the day used to be a niche type of thing.  They didn't have massive followings and embodied the nature of having to group up.  In FFXI you could solo to level 10, but unless you were a specific class, you couldn't really solo at all past that.  You have to actively find groups with no LFG system or anything.  This built communities within games.  It was easy to be well known because you probably literally partied with most of the server.

The MMOs of old focused on group play and didn't cater to casuals because casuals were a very very small minority back then.  Once the MMO appeal came to be, casuals started flocking to them, thus demanding for an easier time, and the companies saw that they would be their biggest cash cow.  Thus all of this instant gratification in MMOs came to be.

It sucks, I miss the days when it took half a year to max the level of one class.
    Yeah it was nice the community aspects of the game of old :)

While the games were more focused on group play I had no issues soloing when I wanted to, nor playing more casual when I couldn't play as much. It was fun testing your skill to take on things one probably shouldn't solo. :)

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Valerian said:
    Trust me, people will not be wanting to grind for gear in a dungeon along with other players in the same group with round robin or auction system for too long. It's going to take months until they get what they want and by that time there will be other things to go for. I thought companies moved away from this kind of traditional loot system cause it doesn't work, too many people will either be elitist about it or just plane quit out of boredom and fatigue. Also, just cause people want to play solo doesn't mean they are not willing to group up, that's ridiculous.
    Couldn't disagree more, personal view, not saying your wrong. This is my take.

If a game is fun it isn't grind. Meaningless grind normally came from FTP PTW games, where they want the grind to be tidius so you spend money to avoid it.

When something takes time and effort to earn it gets appreciated more. To many people these days have gotten used to instant gratification where each advancement becomes meaningless almost instantly.

Companies moving away from some of the traditional systems is what made the current games boring and meaningful.  They don't want you to earn something they want you to pay for it.

People are still playing the traditional games even with low graphics cause the newer games just lack any meaning. filled with PTW and Micro Transactions and they are abiding their time waiting for a new game worth playing with some of the older traditional systems but with some new progressive ideas.

Just because a game is developed more towards group play does not mean it looks down on solo play or that solo play is not possible. Same goes for casual players as well. Unfortunately Trolls come on both side of the fence. People should be respectful of how others chose to play.

I have played many of the older styles MMO; Group or Solo and Casual or Hard Core. They were more group focused but had no issue playing solo when I wanted to or did not have the time to group. It was fun taking on challenges that would normally be difficult for a solo player, allowing a person to push their skills to the limits.  Have had as much fun playing casual and hard core depending on my RL commitments.

Game communities have gotten way to toxic people should be respecting each other and never presume to tel others how they should or should not play. People should also communicate respectfully with each other sharing ideas and having discussions not forcing their ideas on each other. 

A lot of rift between people who want to play solo, group, casual or hardcore happens because they forget how to communicate and often try to dictate and judge. This is not what communities are about. I made a lot of friends in game communities where we were mostly on the opposites sides of a discussion but we always respected each other. 

This is what we should be building in AOC :)

• Options
    Rollin said:
    As a working person with a family, I have limited time to play any game let alone for several hours doing a dungeon. I certainly don't have several hours several times a week that I can do dungeons. I would bet that I have not played a game for several hours without long afk's for one reason or another for years and years. So if the goal is a FFX type game where you can't play without a group, and can't get gear without a group, then I don't think this will be a game for me. :'(
    I've played many group oriented games Solo and casual when I did not have as much time to invest. Probably won't be a problem just check it out when it comes out.

I've had my casual periods and my hard core periods. Often I join a guild that matches the way I play that I have time for.

Could look for a Family/Progressive guild. One with people that have a demanding profession and or family and have limited time to play. Often understanding of situations like these. Often are filled with very nice and helpful people. This is the Family aspect. Progressive means they they also are very skilled players that work towards end game content. Leaning more towards Family than Progressive.

So there is hope my friend :)