Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Holiday and Calendar Events in AoC

With Thanksgiving coming up for the Americans, I got to thinking about in-game holidays and special events.

What kind of events or in-game holidays would you like to see?

I personally really enjoy Brewfest in WoW....

Comments

• Options
    I´ve always liked Chinese New Year in MMORPG´s, but maybe that´s also because I am Chinese. I would like it if there would be Chinese New Year limited gear and costumes and maybe a dragon boss. Oktoberfest would be a good one too :)
  • Options
    Quoting myself from another Topic -
    Vortigern said:
    I dislike when real world events such as Halloween or Christmas are injected into the game without a proper story. Maybe AoC could have it's own variants of said seasonal holidays?
    I stick by this, I don't like it. If the game has its own variants I'd be down for it.
  • Options
    I actually agree Vortigern, I am not inherently against irl holiday injection but I would absolutely prefer game lore based holidays

• Options
    I'm more than happy having community events on the forums and discord etc which involve a wide range of worldwide events. Implementing them in game is much more difficult because it can break immersion.

I like the idea of having stalls within Nodes  (like a German market) that allow us to celebrate events together rather than having random decorations and npcs spread out across the world.

I would like events that are unique to Verra, for example perhaps there is a celebration for coming home to Verra (an anniversary event) that makes sense to the actual transition of characters from the non-magic world returning to Verra.
  • Options
    Ah, thats a great idea @Diura That would be a great way to implement it
  • Options
    Depending on how the player locator works we could also have a hide and seek in different sections of the world and whoever finds the designated person first gets some random prize such as gold/reputation/unique item or something of that nature.

I loved playing hide and seek in tera and having 300+ people searching for one person and it taking 3+ hours for them to find that person. I had the unfortunate pleasure of being the hider twice and the second time my girlfriend tricked me XD. she came over during the event and when I left the room she had my priest summon her character right to me :neutral:  And before anyone asks, YES she did things for me that distracted me. Needless to say I wasn't completely innocent :smiley:

• Options
    I like the idea of holidays in game, but in moderation. Meaning, I like having, let's say, a week in each month to celebrate a relevant holiday from part of the world. That is fine. And yes, Brewfest is the best. 

HOWEVER, I do not want to have micro-holidays every other day like WoW currently does. I believe that is too much content that requires too much dedication to participate in. For a completionist like me, it is an evil that forces us to play the game more and more, allowing it to consume our lives.  Because if we don't participate then we feel like we missed something important and have to wait another year to try again.

Likewise, I don't want micro-holidays to become a focus that detracts from the main gameplay, slowing down patches and the lore as a whole. 
  • Options
    TERA is great at holidays, a lot of free stuff is given out to encorage the community to participate, usually in the form of a PVE mob hunt. It would be nice if Ashes could do the same.