Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Freehold Question

How many freeholds can be in a Node region?  I have heard some low numbers but that can be chalked up to lack of information.  I was wondering if anyone had a solid number?  The other question I have if the number is low how will that work?  I can see a situation like Arche Age had in the beginning and now with no available land or in this case locations.  I don’t want that to happen of course but as we get closer to 0-Alpha beyond I have not seen any information to change my thought. 

Any thoughts on this? 

Ox

Comments

• Options
    We haven't been given a specific number yet. But I am sure to an extent it will be low. They want to create conflict, attacking a node is a big part of ashes. You can attack freeholds after the node is been defeated and can remove said freeholds if successful. This will allow new people to claim spots of land. 

If you want a freehold location you will need to fight for it, to protect it. Also smaller nodes might become what you want because less population and less competition for people to put up freeholds. Either way conflict in Ashes will be a constant.

(I believe you need a Node level 3 before you can even place down your freehold) So look for a node you like and level it up and get your freehold set, but be ready to defend!

• Options
    I don't know the exact number, but freeholds will expand as the node expands.

As opposed to ArcheAge in which people could simply place as much land as they could manage in tax certs and keep it *forever, in AoC all freeholds within the outer layer of the zone of influence will be demolished if a node delevels. Once the node levels up again, the new zone of influence layer is blank and free to build freeholds on.
  • Options
    Another question i have about freeholds is how will they interact with the natural environment of the game. As in will freeholds interfere with nature and how the game looks when we first enter. Will i be seeing freeholds everywhere because that would ruin the visual beauty of the game or will there be separate spaces for freeholds. 
  • Options
    Another question i have about freeholds is how will they interact with the natural environment of the game. As in will freeholds interfere with nature and how the game looks when we first enter. Will i be seeing freeholds everywhere because that would ruin the visual beauty of the game or will there be separate spaces for freeholds. 
    Freeholds can only be placed in a nodes zone of influence. The zone of influence expands as the node levels.

This means that freehold spots will be limited and not all over the place, as that would ruin the look of the game world.
  • Options

That is another question I have.  I could see little valleys with a few in them and scattered about but all over the place is not going to be good.  

The other side is the constant aspect of change.  I like this and still have concerns.  If the Node falls what exactly happens.  Do I lose my materials and some other guy just run over and take my plot? 

Maybe too early yet but I am asking anyway.

Ox

• Options
    FliP said:

As opposed to ArcheAge in which people could simply place as much land as they could manage in tax certs and keep it *forever, in AoC all freeholds within the outer layer of the zone of influence will be demolished if a node delevels. Once the node levels up again, the new zone of influence layer is blank and free to build freeholds on.

I had forgotten about the perm-a-plots.  At least AoC won't have that issue.  

Ox  
  • Options
    FliP said:

Source? Because I have never heard this. Not saying you are wrong, but I have never heard about auto-destruction mechanic due to ZOI shrinkage for freeholds ever, for in node housing sure, but they have specifically mentioned the time period after a successful siege when freeholds are vulnerable to attack. If they are auto-wiped, why would they be vulnerable? For others here are some Discord quotes.

• Options
    FliP said:

Source? Because I have never heard this. Not saying you are wrong, but I have never heard about auto-destruction mechanic due to ZOI shrinkage for freeholds ever, for in node housing sure, but they have specifically mentioned the time period after a successful siege when freeholds are vulnerable to attack. If they are auto-wiped, why would they be vulnerable? For others here are some Discord quotes.

I have not heard this either but there was mention of before the node falls you would want to get your stuff and fleeing.  I have concerns there too but just for the sake of argument a node falls.  You are no longer under the protection of node X and your Freehold is now a target of roaming bands of marauders or anyone really that can muster enough force to remove you and the like.  This is part of the mechanic, but I don’t know if or what the time limits are.  With all the chaos that will exist in and around a node I have to ask myself a question why invest the time and effort if this can happen?  So much for finding a quiet little valley to do my crafting in LOL\

Ox

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    @Oxillion

Someone at the PAX QA asked the question about ZOI shrinkage effecting housing. Steven's answer was you could lose your house but all the mats and a blueprint would be returned to your inventory.

Sorry I don't have the exact timecode. It was a woman asking and she was initially concerned about casual play styles but then she hopped topics to this.
  • Options
    Her name was Heidi and starts around timestamp 24:00 and runs till around 29:00. They go over the mechanics of housing being destroyed. At no point do they say you automatically lose you freehold due to ZOI shrinkage. They say you could lose a "house" you have placed due to the node deleveling, "because the node would no longer exist." Needs clarification. My understanding is that the window for freehold destruction is a time period similar to the siege window that had just finished. They have said that when a siege is lost then you would want to defend your freehold while it was vulnerable during that time, through hiring guards or having friends help you. If it just auto-poofs, what would be the point in hiring guards?
  • Options
    Her name was Heidi and starts around timestamp 24:00 and runs till around 29:00. They go over the mechanics of housing being destroyed. At no point do they say you automatically lose you freehold due to ZOI shrinkage. They say you could lose a "house" you have placed due to the node deleveling, "because the node would no longer exist." Needs clarification. My understanding is that the window for freehold destruction is a time period similar to the siege window that had just finished. They have said that when a siege is lost then you would want to defend your freehold while it was vulnerable during that time, through hiring guards or having friends help you. If it just auto-poofs, what would be the point in hiring guards?

Very good point.  I am hopeful we get some time to either pack up and leave with great haste or be able to fight off the vermin looking for scraps after a fallen Node or Castle.  It opens a few deeper questions on timing and what to spend your hard-earned time and money to protect or flee.    I guess this also falls under what type of Freehold is it.  General type for farming or crafting or the defensive perimeter one. 

I know Steve and Co have stated that we can hire henchmen but how many and how does that factor in to what type of Freehold.

Ox

• Options
    There are still many questions we have surrounding freeholds but there are a few things we know, the node has to be level 3 before a freehold can be placed, you can place your freehold in most areas of the node only obvious things like roads, lakes, rivers will prevent you placing them. Where you place your freehold may give bonuses to some activities, such as placing next to a stream or lake gives a bonus to agriculture, was given as an example.

As for freehold destruction, this can only occur after a node has lost a siege, after the siege is lost there will be a 2 hour period where freeholds can be raided/destroyed, but you will be able to defend them, so you may be able to fight off any raiders.

There is much to yet be revealed about freeholds and we could speculate quite a bit on what the possibilities are, would be nice to get some more solid information. 
  • Options
    So if a node hit's level 3 and we place freeholds and then the zone experiences a siege and drops to level 2, do we keep our freeholds?

I am interested in this topic, but I don't know if they have got that far in design/implementation so I am willing to wait a bit longer for that info.
  • Options
    They may very well vanish, you would get all of your materials back along with anything stored but would be no more.
  • Options
    The freehold exists in the zone of influence not the node itself so after an attack if it is not located in a ZOI of a node then it will disappear.  Check out this wiki link for more info on freeholds 
    http://aocwiki.net/Housing

Hopefully that helps a little 

• Options
    Millear said:
    The freehold exists in the zone of influence not the node itself so after an attack if it is not located in a ZOI of a node then it will disappear.  Check out this wiki link for more info on freeholds 

Those are people guessing just as much as we are in this thread...
  • Options
    tugowar said:
    Millear said:

Those are people guessing just as much as we are in this thread...
    If you look at the references from that Wiki, they cite a Q&A with Steve that happened back in May.  So it's not just speculation. 
  • Options

Oh, thanks for the links on the Wiki.  I guess we will find out most of the deeper details in Alpha and Beta.  Not sure if these will be in the 0-Alpha but I will take a look to see when I am there.  I guess this mechanic of the game will be far deeper due to the level of uses we can do on them.   I think these will be coveted almost as much as castles will be.  I have some concerns with how many per region still but I am sure the Intrepid has already been thinking about it. 

Good conversations guys..

Ox