Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

DirectX 12 DirectX 11 etc etc.

I watched the Nov 18th Stream and there was a question regarding which DirectX AOC will support. From what I could hear DirectX 9 No, Not sure with DirectX 10 but I missed what they said about DirectX 11 but it seems they want to make sure the game uses DirectX 12.

The problem with this is only 29% of people use Windows 10 and 46% still use Windows 7. Currently MS has not released DirectX 12 for Windows 7 and we are not sure MS will.
People will say 'Oh just upgrade to Windows 10'. Currently I dont have any plans too and I would not upgrade an OS just to play a game.

I would like some more information from IS on this issue. If IS will release the game using DirectX11 and 12 then this will not be an issue.

IS may want to investigate Vulkan and add support to AOC.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    12 100% yes. 11 95% sure. 10 a maybe. 9 no.
  • Options
    Adding support for Vulkan would be interesting, although I'm not sure there would be a need to if they're already using dx12. It would only be as a gimmick. 
  • Options
    By the time AoC might even drop official support for Win7, who knows.

We certainly won't see just 1 dx mode.
  • Options
    Elder said:
    Adding support for Vulkan would be interesting, although I'm not sure there would be a need to if they're already using dx12. It would only be as a gimmick. 
    Please explain why you think it would be a gimmick.

• Options
    FliP said:

That'd be bad. I love Win7. 
  • Options
    Dont mind as long as its above 11 and supports HDR and 21:9 ratio
  • Options
    Dolphin said:
    FliP said:

That'd be bad. I love Win7. 
    I meant to say Microsoft might drop support for Win7. Obviously messed up for reasons that are still unknown to me.
  • Options
    @NightshadeRaven Because we wouldn't need the vulkan API to reach optimal performance. Don't get me wrong, Vulkans stress tests usually come out on top or at least close behind but supporting it in game won't make a massive difference. 

I'd be all for Vulkan if they were planning on being able to take full advantage of it but as they're currently using directX during development i only see it being offered as an alternative rather then the groundbreaking tech it could be.

Besides Vulkan is relatively new and quite hard to learn, you have to write a lot of application code to get it do what you want. It would just waste time for next to no benefit, at least in my opinion. 
  • Options
    Elder said:
    I'd be all for Vulkan if they were planning on being able to take full advantage of it but as they're currently using directX during development i only see it being offered as an alternative rather then the groundbreaking tech it could be.
    I did some checking and it seems Unreal 4 supports it. The issue is you need to run Windows 10 to use Directx 12.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @NightshadeRaven Last time I looked unreal only had Vulkan support for low end mobile rendering. But things might have been updated, I haven't looked into it.
  • Options
    Elder said:
    @NightshadeRaven Last time I looked unreal only had Vulkan support for low end mobile rendering. But things might have been updated, I haven't looked into it.
    Thats true, but its on their roadmap to have it being used on high end PC's
  • Options
    Mainstream support for Windows 7 [will end on 2020]. Given how AOC's retail release will be at around 2019 by most optimistic estimates, it's not safe to hold on to Windows 7 for that much longer.
  • Options
    Elder said:

Do you realize Vulkan is cross platform?

Having Vulkan available would open doors for a lot broader player base, not only limited to Windows PC (any version), but to other machines / OS also.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @Gothix What the hell are you on about? AoC is a Windows exclusive and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.   :D
    We don't don't need a cross platform graphical API if the game is only ever going to be available on windows. 

I do realize, believe it or not I actually own the Vulkan programming guide.   <3

• Options
    To much work for next to no benefit. They would have to first learn this new API then implement it, which is a lot more difficult than previous openGL libraries.

The amount of assets that could be rendered wouldn't increase because they would have to balance it with their weakest API's maximum performance. Might as well stick with directX and save themselves the pain of all the hands on work that comes with Vulkan.