Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Chat functionality wishes

So with playing some older game and new ones I felt like that functionality and utility of the chat has been a little lacking. What are you folks ideas and wishes for the in-game chat outside of the normal? 

Tab-Completion/Suggested Words: By starting to type a word it start guessing what you might be typing, reducing the size of the list as you continue to type it out and with tab you can select and cycle though the words till you get the one you want.

Translation: Maybe not for all the languages but I could see this be helpful to at least the more popular languages such as Spanish, German, Russian and French. Or maybe just some more common phrases to aid communication in things such as dungeons, I believe FFVX has something like that.

Auto-Correct: As much as some find it frustrating (me included) I know others really like auto-correction to what they write, as long as this is an option that can be turned ON/OFF.

Hyperlinks: I'm not sure how I feel about this, but links to websites and such outside of the game that would open in your browser. Sounds like a double edged sword and I'm not sure which edge is the sharpest.

Those are some things I think would be useful to have, what I personally do not really want is emojis/emoticons/emotes, and if they would be in I really hope the emotes are not made by the players themselves.

Comments

• Options
    Hyperlinks to selected and approved sites yes, but I feel that guessing and auto correct will just get in the way like they always do.
  • Options
    Auto-correct, yes. But not sure about suggestions and how those get in the way. Use it on phone and Notepad++ all the time, you are in control when you make use of it at all times. And there are people I know that really like having auto-correct.

Other things that might be nice. 

Minor Formating: Italics, bold text and other similar small things.

Colour Coding: Options to do things like having player names with different colours that correspond to their main Archetype or similar.

Mentions: @ mentions that highlight where the text that mentioned you.

Line Differentiation: Having each block of text me separated by a differently tinted background for easier reading.
  • Options
    some good ideas, but i'm not sure for transtlations, everyone can speak a litle bit of enblish and anyway if the game works, people will go on their nationality server :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Well this has to do with the chat windows so this would fall under what i want to suggest.  Normally, under the "General" tab where all chat activity takes place you have your battle text.  This is damage taken, actions taken, actions taken against you, actions taken against others, damage you do to mobs, etc.  In other games you can filter these things into one chat tab and can even drag that chat tab to a different part of the screen so you can keep an eye out for it.  I would typically do this so I could put Raid or boss monsters special attacks in large and bold red letters as more of a get my attention to get ready and move.

Well, I'd like both this amount of filtering options, but, I would like more options for chat tabs.  Transparency options, fade away text, and an option to render specific chat windows to be completely transparent and show no text until a certain command is typed or a certain macro/keybind. 

It would be nice to be able to filter the battle text you want in the window, name the window, and even set it's transparency to completely transparent and have text pop up as unfiltered text goes into the box...then after a set delay, vanish, but still have the option to open up the hidden chat box and scroll through the text.

It's more of a QoL, but i believe A LOT of people would want to utilize this.

EDIT:  Also was thinking an preset amount of terms; Which include abilities, basic social text, etc.  Having it in the system to have the ability for the Auto-translate function for this preset amount of text.  Type in part of the word, hit tab, and a list of text comes up that is auto-translated.  This system is widely used in FFXI and FFXIV and I always found that a good way to sort of break through the language barrier.  I had lots of Japanese friends in FFXI and FFXIV that I communicated with solely through the use of the auto-translate function and it expanded the list of connections I had because of this.

For those who would like a better explanation of the ATF;

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Auto-Translator

This is literally the entire Auto-translate for FFXIV.  You'd be a fool not to see it's usefulness.

• Options

Some nice ideas @Svartie!

Tab: -Suggested words: I'd gladly see this incorporated as long as we could disable it.

Translation: - I suspect this would be a great deal of work and for little reward seeing as most people can read/write a little English, and certainly find similar people through the use of their first language.

Auto-Correct: Same as my first point.

Hyperlinks: I think this could work well if there'd be a degree of control of what/which sources could be linked in chat. They could be pre-approved via QA and if someone feels strongly about having their source ingame they could contact devs/mods to have it approved ingame.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Yea, I totally agree that if hyperlinks would be a thing it would pretty much have to be a whitelist and not a blacklist, having to be approved to be linked.

EDIT: One other thing that I think some with multi-screen setups would like is to be able to put the chat/combat text screen outside of the game UI and on that other monitor somehow. I am not sure how possible that is but it would be cool.
  • Options
    i think you forgot something. 

Blacklists for specific keywords, characters or even with a regular expression functionality. 

The hyperlink thing is not good, a specialy if you are in a game. 
    Since you can get bad things on your pc, if you go on the wrong side. 

For the wiki and actually useful stuff, it could be like a chat command. 
    /wiki:[item] will generate a hyperlink in the chat flow which will open the wiki page for this item
  • Options
    Svartie said:
    So with playing some older game and new ones I felt like that functionality and utility of the chat has been a little lacking. What are you folks ideas and wishes for the in-game chat outside of the normal? 

Tab-Completion/Suggested Words: By starting to type a word it start guessing what you might be typing, reducing the size of the list as you continue to type it out and with tab you can select and cycle though the words till you get the one you want.

Translation: Maybe not for all the languages but I could see this be helpful to at least the more popular languages such as Spanish, German, Russian and French. Or maybe just some more common phrases to aid communication in things such as dungeons, I believe FFVX has something like that.

Auto-Correct: As much as some find it frustrating (me included) I know others really like auto-correction to what they write, as long as this is an option that can be turned ON/OFF.

Hyperlinks: I'm not sure how I feel about this, but links to websites and such outside of the game that would open in your browser. Sounds like a double edged sword and I'm not sure which edge is the sharpest.

Those are some things I think would be useful to have, what I personally do not really want is emojis/emoticons/emotes, and if they would be in I really hope the emotes are not made by the players themselves.

Some great Ideas 

Deff Like:
    Translation function
    Auto-Correct function - I am horrible at spelling lol

Not sure about Hyperlinks for websites but the ability to copy out of chat window could be great.

For Hyperlinks I would like game items to have the ability to have hyperlinks. Usually standard in most games these days.

Svartie said:
    Auto-correct, yes. But not sure about suggestions and how those get in the way. Use it on phone and Notepad++ all the time, you are in control when you make use of it at all times. And there are people I know that really like having auto-correct.

Other things that might be nice. 

Minor Formating: Italics, bold text and other similar small things.

Colour Coding: Options to do things like having player names with different colours that correspond to their main Archetype or similar.

Mentions: @ mentions that highlight where the text that mentioned you.

Line Differentiation: Having each block of text me separated by a differently tinted background for easier reading.

Would be great to have a @someone tag with highlight of your name is nice, would like to add the ability to jump to areas in chat where you were mentioned. 

Parental censor lock with password lock would be great to keep their children from seeing words that are inappropriate.

• Options
    I'd like to see to colour code your chat, especially having different colours when whispering with different players simoultaniously.

An other thing I personally wish for, but which is a double edged sword, is having profanity filter either turned off as default setting or having a very smart filter. I'm always getting anoyed when profanity filters ignore spaces and language, so e.g. my German guild recrutment message gets zensored for all new players, because I use letter combinations that are an insult in Spanish or English.
  • Options
    Great ideas folks, didn't really think about profanity filters and parental control (given I'm no parent), although I think making a smart-filter would be really hard, you'd have to make it so it can tell the difference between two words which the end and beginning of them just accidentally make a "bad" word or someone trying to bypass the filter, and there are SOOO many ways to bypass it if you just try and then you have the whole multiple language thing that might be tricky if you want to include that.

So for profanity filter I think it would be enough with just a standard list of banned words and common spellings of it that try to bypass the filter and the function to add and remove words from the list as you want.

Parental control, I can't say that I know what parents want but a toggle for "KIDS CHAT" or whatever might be useful, it would mute all chats except perhaps guild, group, whispers and say chat. So no zone or trade or other really large chats. Maybe have another level of even stricter censoring limiting player interaction through chat to just /say.

Smart-formatting/Auto-formatting: This would be a function, which can be turned on if you want to see it or not in chat where it automatically formats common things for clarity, so it could take text and colour it or whatnot, so that "Selling [SWORD OF RADICALITY] for 100Gold" would firstly link the item, making you able to click it for viewing of stats and looks (pretty common in games) and take the "100Gold" part and colour the Gold word yellow, and perhaps make it a little smarter to include caps or not and shortenings like 100g, maybe even have Selling/WTS and Buying/WTB colorized.

• Options
    Please no auto correct. I hate it. I hate it everywhere where I see it.

It's more trouble than what it's worth as even the most heavy word processors often replace what you actually want to type with what THEY THINK you want to type, increasing your time to actually write something and annoying you as hell.
  • Options
    to Hyperlinks for items
    id love to use a key + click on the item to put a hyperlink into the current chatbar

like holding alt and clicking the item puts [Sword of whatever] into the chatbar and when people click it, a small window with its stats, pic etc appears.
  • Options
    If there is an auto correct... I really hope it can be disabled... that little bugger gets me in more trouble than anything when texting quickly... 
  • Options
    Ability to change font size, color, background for at least my perspective. If I can't change the font size, odds are I won't be able to ready anything. :)

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Svartie said:
    Great ideas folks, didn't really think about profanity filters and parental control (given I'm no parent), although I think making a smart-filter would be really hard, you'd have to make it so it can tell the difference between two words which the end and beginning of them just accidentally make a "bad" word or someone trying to bypass the filter, and there are SOOO many ways to bypass it if you just try and then you have the whole multiple language thing that might be tricky if you want to include that.

So for profanity filter I think it would be enough with just a standard list of banned words and common spellings of it that try to bypass the filter and the function to add and remove words from the list as you want.

Parental control, I can't say that I know what parents want but a toggle for "KIDS CHAT" or whatever might be useful, it would mute all chats except perhaps guild, group, whispers and say chat. So no zone or trade or other really large chats. Maybe have another level of even stricter censoring limiting player interaction through chat to just /say.

Smart-formatting/Auto-formatting: This would be a function, which can be turned on if you want to see it or not in chat where it automatically formats common things for clarity, so it could take text and colour it or whatnot, so that "Selling [SWORD OF RADICALITY] for 100Gold" would firstly link the item, making you able to click it for viewing of stats and looks (pretty common in games) and take the "100Gold" part and colour the Gold word yellow, and perhaps make it a little smarter to include caps or not and shortenings like 100g, maybe even have Selling/WTS and Buying/WTB colorized.

Smart formatting sounds like a brilliant Idea.

• Options
    I would love the functionality to have specific words that, when they appear in a chat window, the game alerts me in some way.
    Often times I am grinding or maybe distracted by something and I miss things. If whenever, say, my name, my guild name, or maybe even something I am looking for, is said in any of my active chat channels the game could make a little sound, or camera shake, or color the words different.  Completely an optional feature for those who wouldn't want it, but I think it would be a nice feature to add.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Kitzi said:
    I would love the functionality to have specific words that, when they appear in a chat window, the game alerts me in some way.
    Often times I am grinding or maybe distracted by something and I miss things. If whenever, say, my name, my guild name, or maybe even something I am looking for, is said in any of my active chat channels the game could make a little sound, or camera shake, or color the words different.  Completely an optional feature for those who wouldn't want it, but I think it would be a nice feature to add.
    @Kitzi Dam that's a great Idea like be able to set some alert words and if it pops up in chat you get an alert sound and it highlights it in chat.