Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Thoughts on proximity based Voice Chat?

What do people think about proximity based voice chat?
Does it increase immersion? Or will it be abused annoyingly? Or both?

Comments

• Options
    It would be nice but...

I think this is sadly never gonna work just because of the way it can be abused. Yes you can implement a mute function but the damage will already be done. On the other hand some people don't want to come on voice chat and may be pressured into or yelled at for not joining. People wont be able to report abuse because it's not going to be recorded unlike chat-logs. I think use of 3rd party software such as discord is a safer bet.
  • Options
    i thought in game voice chat was confirmed not 100% on this though
  • Options
    @RaprZ Just for parties and taverns.
  • Options
    They stated that they intend to provide some mechanic for it. What was never clarified is whether they will use a third party program like Discord to do it or develop it in house. The scuttlebutt was why pay to develop in-game when there are plenty of free options out there that do the same thing.
  • Options
    @elder ok ty for clearing that up my first thoughts of voice chat were proximity chat
  • Options
    if there is some french server like in wow, then i'm ok, but i don't really want to speak with other nationalities if it's not by writing some stuff
  • Options
    I'd rather not hear someone with an open mic getting scolded by their mother.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Imagine coming to a mysterious ruins, in search for hidden artifacts.

Cold breeze in the sky, flowing river nearby reflecting tall mountain peaks in the distance. Glittering silver fog gliding down from the mountain.

... and troll playing some annoying country music on open mic following you around.

Ahh the joy!
  • Options
    Gothix said:

Cold breeze in the sky, flowing river nearby reflecting tall mountain peaks in the distance. Glittering silver fog gliding down from the mountain.

... and troll playing some annoying country music on open mic following you around.

Ahh the joy!
    That description was down right poetic.
  • Options
    I vividly remember Steven saying voice chat itself will be opt-in, not opt-out. So it'll be off by default (hooray)

As for proximity, I don't think it'll be in the open-world persay. (Though obviously I do not know) But it will probably be around Caravan defending/attacking. Possibly node sieges. But not real proximity, probably something like automatic raids form, from which you can hear people.
  • Options
    Gothix said:

Ahh the joy!
    Not gonna lie, I want the feature just for that to happen now.
  • Options
    works in "The Division" [if you ask me]
  • Options
    They stated that they intend to provide some mechanic for it. What was never clarified is whether they will use a third party program like Discord to do it or develop it in house. The scuttlebutt was why pay to develop in-game when there are plenty of free options out there that do the same thing.

This ^^.
  • Options
    I think ESO did a pretty good job on the voip stuff in the console version of the game. there were different channels for all the guilds you where in and proximity chat. you could leave or join any channel as you wish. And all Guild channels would have their own sub channel system.