Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Why Art should be updated

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited November 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
Hi! First of all i want to say i really like how this game looks, i see that artists put a lot of heart and effort into it! And the first thing that attracted my attention to this game is how it looks :D  

What i wanted to talk about here is Media section. At the moment this game is not extremely well known in the gamer community, the best thing you could want is to attract a lot of positive attention. And Media is the first place people like journalists youtubers and bloggers go to for visuals. Media section does include some stunning screenshots and footage of actual game, but it also includes arts. Which while they do give out the spirit, when compared to screenshots not always look that flattering. I will take a look at one i've seen used the most "Gathering".

From what i can tell there were 2 main artists that worked on those arts. Non of us are perfect, and everyone has their own vision, but when i see some very basic artist mistakes it just bothers me. Remembering that this is one of the big parts representing the game that very much needs good representation, i just had to help somehow.
There are two very noticeable things here:

First - Muddy textures: This happens because artist is passionate using brushstrokes one on top another, sometimes pushing textures out of the way. Here iron anvil looks more like its made of wood

Second - Light issues: Specifically bright light can be hard to depict, so artists who don't start in black-and-white try to compensate this with color not even realizing. Bright fire-y bang here is not bright, its just yellow.

So with just those two issues out of the way the art looks alot nicer!

Those are two basic mistakes that are very distracting in quite a few other arts in Media section (and they are in press kit as well!). Any game wants the best possible representation it could get, and every little shortcoming can have a negative effect in the future.
I really wish this game the best and can't wait to play it! I hope this was helpful in some way ^^

Comments

• I always felt like the lighting was off in this piece lol
    I def agree it'd be nice if they added some new concept/promotional art - they probs will when they start open beta testing and/or near launch!
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    I always felt like the lighting was off in this piece lol
    I def agree it'd be nice if they added some new concept/promotional art - they probs will when they start open beta testing and/or near launch!
    its more noticabe on one where guy is holdind a ightning sphere, but i chose this pic to get across the point about textures :v 

Hmm they probably will add more arts before official release, i just hope something so minor to fix wont leave a wrong first impression :p
  • I have to say Yes appearance is important and should always be worked on however most of the games these days well look amazing they get a lot of hype and then the game falls short. The reason being a lot of game companies go for hype draw people in get as much money as they can then not care.

I think for this game while yes looks are important the selling point is that it is not like all the other games. That they will focus on the things that are lacking in the games of today. People are tired of glamour hype and games falling short.

I think marketing should be more focused on the Lore, the depth, the mechanics the follow up with the looks. I think people especially the ones that have played great MMORPGs and miss them would be more interested and trust that side of it.

But by all means keep things looking good but more of what's important first. If I had to choose between a game that looked great but had no depth and got boring a game that looked good but kept me engaged for a long time I'll take the second please.

edited November 2017

I certainly see your point, content is more important than looks, and i can relate to that. But at some other points i disagree:

First you are poining out that once player is in the game, its: lore, depth and different mechaniks, that keep player invested. But isnt it rather the games atmosphere? 
    We can be as happy with a game, that does not have as good a mechaniks but keeps us invested with its story, as with one, that does not look that good but is very deep and facinating to us. 
    Its atmosphere that keeps us invested and along lore, depth, mechaniks and some other things art is a big part of it

Second. As you said looks can be a big selling point in games. This game isnt out yet, and there is very little information avalible to us. 
    We cannot objectively say how good the game itself is going to be, not for now, and not even some time after its release. It takes time for things like good game content to fully shine, and even more time for word of it to spread. Even if this game is going to be truly different and facinating, it will all be for nothing if there is barely anyone playing it.
    What we, and other potentially interested players, already can see though is what it will look like.

Art isnt only important as a selling point, and it very much is, but its a very big part of atmosphere, that keeps us involved all thruout the game.
    edited November 2017
    Is it just me or did he double post around a dozen times. How do you even manage that.  :D

Edit: They disappeared  :o illuminati? 
  • Elder said:
    Is it just me or did he double post around a dozen times. How do you even manage that.  :D

damm you saw that? :bawling:
    i thought i was quick enough
    edited November 2017
    Elder said:

i kept trying to save an edit, but i guess it wes posting instead? i didnt see a single post including original message and then i think Mod deleted them all

still new around here, even though this was probably a bug
    edited November 2017
    Changed another one, This edit isnt really as fair because it messes abit with artist's vision. But hopefully it gets the point across

• The lightning in the second picture hurts my eyes lol
  • I feel like the spider when I look at the second picture.
  • Zastro said:
    The lightning in the second picture hurts my eyes lol
    Yeah i suppose i overdid it, but that only happened because i was trying to compensate the lack of lighting in original

I feel like the spider when I look at the second picture.
    :D