Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Opinions on possible Secret Society's mechanic

Due to the intricate government mechanics and the rulers and important players roles. I believe having a secret society mechanic could be a great addition. My current idea is an SC would be similar to a guild except they will be 100% private. There will be no way to know someone is a part of an SC unless they tell you themselves (or a spy spills the beans). For instance, assassins are assassins by staying hidden and unknown. An SC of assassins I think would play a very intricate part in a game like this. They could infiltrate governments/guilds to complete a kill/contract. For instance, this SC lets call them Shadows of the Misled. They can buy/setup a contract board in cities. People can then purchase a contract to have someone killed, The SC sends someone to retrieve contracts from the board and then the job is assigned out to a member. When the member from the SC completes the kill on the target the money paid to buy the contract will transfer to the SC bank. This is just one example of the use of SCs could bring. Would love to hear any opinions and ideas from others about this.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    There's already a bounty system in place for corrupt players. Intrepid doesn't want to incentivize meaningless murder. 

I don't see the point of a secret guild, it just takes the social aspect away. If you don't want people to see what guild you're in there may be a way to toggle its display on or off. 
  • Options
    This is only one example this goes beyond just pvp/corrupt activities. And there is nothing meaningless about contract killings. There are going to be players with positions of power that could hold key capabilities say during a siege.  Taking out one of these players could be a turning point in the defense of a city/metro. And if they are guarded and are hiding in the city it will next to impossible to take them out if you are a part of a guild that is attacking said city. You would need a 3rd party to do such a job.

You would still be able to be apart of a normal regular guild just a SS would be for the more strategic people that have a plan in mind to do something intricate that requires subtlety. You would be a part of a guild and then an SS would just be something that is unknown. Granted this kind of stuff will happen anyway just no mechanics to complement it. By the discord chat, I can already tell spies are going to be amidst!

Beyond an assassin idea, there would be politicians that just work there way into a city to gain trust and get a seat of power just to harm that city during an invasion. Or a group of people that want to run the money/market and control the flow of money in the game. But do not want to be known otherwise they would be targeted. 
  • Options
    Unpwned said:
    This is only one example this goes beyond just pvp/corrupt activities. And there is nothing meaningless about contract killings. There are going to be players with positions of power that could hold key capabilities say during a siege.  Taking out one of these players could be a turning point in the defense of a city/metro. And if they are guarded and are hiding in the city it will next to impossible to take them out if you are a part of a guild that is attacking said city. You would need a 3rd party to do such a job.
    In the example you provided "Contract Killings" only became meaningful when used in conjunction with a siege. Outside of areas that have already been dedicated as a PvP zone, murder becomes meaningless combat and is strongly discouraged by Intrepids corruption system.  

There will already be systems in place for you to contact other players if you're planning on hiring mercenaries.

Unpwned said:
    You would still be able to be apart of a normal regular guild just a SS would be for the more strategic people that have a plan in mind to do something intricate that requires subtlety. You would be a part of a guild and then an SS would just be something that is unknown. Granted this kind of stuff will happen anyway just no mechanics to complement it. By the discord chat, I can already tell spies are going to be amidst!
    Guilds, for the most part, will have the "mechanics to complement it". As I said previously, if you don't want people to see what guild you're in there may be a way to toggle its display on or off. 

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2017
    Not sure why you are focused on the killing portion of this idea that was just an example. Like I previously stated the usefulness it would have is also changing the outcomes of political power and the markets.

Contracts would be useful far outside sieges as well, caravan runs, a party going to a dungeon/raid, resource gathering a rare resource, and of course maybe just a personal grudge. Its discouraged yes but that will not keep people from doing it there will always be the dark side of the community that murders other players to advance in the game. I am sure many people would gladly gain corruption for the payout of a contract. (if the price is right)

Yes, there will be mercenary capabilities but usually, at least in an RP sense, mercs are used as guards or in a war/dungeon/raid.  Assassins are usually solo or duo partners to eliminate 1-2 targets and leave no trace or ties to the killing.

They may have some compliments but not in the way I am talking. For instance, they would have no helpfulness in infiltrating an enemy city/guild.

Like I said an SS is not a guild it would be a separate mechanic altogether. You could be in a guild and also be a member of an SS in secret hence the name Secret Society. Not sure why you would bring up a toggle for guild name a second time???

• Options
    The idea of secret societies is always intriguing. But, somewhat hard to implement I feel. As a society you'll want a gathering spot. Preferably with a hidden entrance. Think Thief's guild Skyrim. Not the main rat way, but the tomb. It should be under a player's control. As in. They sort of make it. It could of course be a house too. But using the housing system for it, I feel is lame. As such a thing is protected by In-game mechanics.

So whilst I think the idea is awesome, and can add some real depth. I don't see how it can work in an MMO. That is not to say I don't want it. But I'm not sure how to implement it. Especially if there are dedicated places, that'll be laid out on some webpage within a month. 

• Options
    What I'm trying to say is guilds can already act as a SS. They already have the tools required. For the most part, the idea that you're pitching is already a thing. Yes they could be separated but there's really no point, might as well let people join multiple guilds.

The reason I talked about specifics is because you used specific examples. 

Contracts would have meaning outside of sieges, that's why I said "outside of areas that have been dedicated as a PvP zone". 

On my phone now so my responses will be short. 
  • Options
     Ariatras said:
    The idea of secret societies is always intriguing. But, somewhat hard to implement I feel. As a society you'll want a gathering spot. Preferably with a hidden entrance. Think Thief's guild Skyrim. Not the main rat way, but the tomb. It should be under a player's control. As in. They sort of make it. It could of course be a house too. But using the housing system for it, I feel is lame. As such a thing is protected by In-game mechanics.

So whilst I think the idea is awesome, and can add some real depth. I don't see how it can work in an MMO. That is not to say I don't want it. But I'm not sure how to implement it. Especially if there are dedicated places, that'll be laid out on some webpage within a month. 

Agreed, the only way SS could work is if the people in a said SS actually kept quite or were actually loyal. I doubt to see such a thing actually happen due to the complexity to just implement it period into an MMORPG. Just thought it was an intriguing idea and this is the first game to have such complexity to even make SS be very useful. Either way, I am sure there will be many things that happen behind the scenes anyway without SS. Just wanted this dream off my chest :P