Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is a countdown timer needed/ wanted to rebuild a freehold?

Ok lets just say Guild A has just sacked the City your Freehold is setup around. You have defenses up, along with guards, but it's still not enough to stop that guild from taking your freehold down.

So, you don't lose anything within your freehold, but nothing was said about the spot you had your freehold on. If your not around to setup your freehold again, should there be a count down timer to give you the 1st rights to reset your freehold in that spot?

To make it far, if you place your freehold in a different location, that timer will end. Then others can claim the spot. There will be limited spots next to the different size city areas by the node, so space will be limited.

But mainly my idea is to set a timer of about 1 week, so the 1st owner doesn't place their freehold in that amount of time, then someone else can claim that location. and it might be a prime location for trade or whatever is going on.

Some will say it's not fair, but I place in a game called UO, and in that game housing was limited, and it was hard to find a good spot to place your home. All the prime spots close to town where taken, and maybe you could find a place in the middle of nowhere. But you had fast travel to help with getting around. In AoC, no fast travel, means all the close locations to the nodes will be prime spots.

So Lets hear it, vote now. Yes to add a timer countdown, or No to just let it be a free-4 -all.

Comments

• Options
    I say no because then you'll hog the best spot forever.
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    I say no because then you'll hog the best spot forever.

Not always true. Why? I have seen if you have the timer system, it works in many ways. Not only for if and when your freehold is knocked down, but also if you don't maintain it to keep it up. IMO that timer should be there for inactive players too. That way you can claim that spot, after the timer is used up. If your freehold is active, that timer keeps getting reset, so you never lose that spot. Unless you let it expire for whatever reason.
  • Options
    Welcome to life, deal with it or get out. :P

• Options
    No additional timer is needed. If you fail to defend your freehold after a successful node siege you should not be able to reclaim it... Especially for a week. As far as inactive players go they won't be on to defend their freehold and the tax system that it looks like they are implementing will remove property/citizenship without it being paid. 
  • Options
    I feel like it goes against the philosophy of the game to give the potential to own a piece of land forever. It's all about changing the landscape in Ashes to keep it fresh.
  • Options
    I see no reason why if you couldn't prevent the guild from destroying your freehold you should have "first rights" to re-establish said freehold.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017

NOT REALLY FIRST COME FIRST SERVED, let me explain.

People that actually had a tangible part in a siege as winners should have the first rights.

Otherwise while some people fight the siege, there would just be campers who are not helping either side, just waiting for siege to end to place their homes. This should not be allowed.

I would say this:

When siege ends, all players that participated in a siege would get a buff. To get this buff, you would have to do more then X objectives, either counted by time or, siege quests, or whatever, but there should be some minimum requirements to mark you eligible for buff.

Those players that earned the buff, and are in winning team would get gold star, and in losing team silver star. Players that didn't reach requirements would have no buff.

Buff would last 15 minutes.

1. through first 5 minutes no one is allowed to place (this is so that people that actually fought the siege have the time to reach housing zones).

2. after 5 min expires, through following 5 minutes, only gold stars would be allowed to place freeholds (reward the winners)

3. after 10 min expires, through next 5 minutes silver stars would be allowed to place (if room left)

4. after 15 min expires anyone would be allowed to place (if room left)

This would reward successful sieges, and players that helped for siege to succeed. It would also give advantage to players that helped defend their city over those that didn't.

This would prevent campers that don't do shit, to just wait and take housing space.
  • Options
    @Gothix from my understanding existing freeholds only become attackable after a successful siege. So after a successful siege you would go and attack an existing freehold to try and claim that specific land plot. If the person defends it they keep it... Unless the freehold is outside the now reduced ZOI because of a deleveled node in which case the freehold is removed and ability to place a freehold is removed until that land is within a ZOI again. 
  • Options
    We will have to test it.
    But, it seems to me that it's all fairly complex/involved anyways.
    Depends on what Stage the node is at when the freehold is destroyed.
    Might be fairly easy to reclaim the location. 
    If it's below Stage 3. It might take a week to bring the node back up to Stage 3 and gather the resources necessary to acquire a freehold.
    And that's assuming some other node doesn't lock your node at Stage 2.
  • Options
    Both @Gothix and @Dygz make great points!

I like the thought of those who fought the siege getting a better chance at choosing a freehold. It, imo, would prevent some members of the "siege" just hanging out at freehold spots waiting for the remaining "siege-rs" to accomplish said task.

It also encourages those with freeholds to defend their node knowing they will have a grace period to run back to their freehold in. Otherwise, why defend the node if all you want is your freehold?

Dygz might or might not be aware of more info than I am, so when he says it seems complex/involved I have the tendency to believe him. Pointing out the difference between node level both before and after siege was also a good play :wink: 
  • Options
    It would be nice to have some kind of timer to let you know you can get back on to you freehold as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Maybe have a ransom or tax you could pay the winning faction to be allowed to maintain your freehold? A vassal freehold?
  • Options
    I would only be willing to pay the ransom if they were able to claim my freehold from me. Otherwise, they can have my taxes.