Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

When you die in the game, should your body be open to looting?

I played like this in UO, you had to rush back to your body if killed, cause everything you had on you was open to looting.

Other games didn't do this, and even made it where you didn't have a chance of losing your best weapons.

I am not sure if this was touched on before, and if it was my bad, but really is this a bad thing?

1. It changes how you play this game, you will be more into storing your items, vs taking everything with you everywhere you go.

2. You will plan out your trips better, do you take the best gear, cause your in a super great raid group, or do you wear good enough gear, just in case of epic failure.

3. One way around this issue was to buy insurance on your gear. So at least you got that back, and it returned to your hand when you rezzed.

4. It would play hand in hand with the corruption system. You loot someone, you gain corruption, so better to leave them alone.

5. Monsters would loot you for that shinny item in your pack, so now you have to kill it to get it back.

I know people will cry this is a pain in the butt, but really it just adds more levels of game play to the game. If this system is used, then maybe just maybe the INNs can play the role for insurance. You pay the Innkeeper, then you go off on your adventure, if you meet your end in the wild, you return to that Inn with all your stuff. Minus the new items you found along the way, but you can still reclaim once you found your body, or the bones of your body.

I am hoping Inns will play the role of a small bank too, so you can store a small amount of your items there for a fee. A fee that goes to the player that is running the place.

So what do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    No full loot mechanics planned. Corruption death at high enough levels will have a chance of dropping or destroying items. There is no rushing back to your body, you respawn at set points in the node, except in the case of corruption death, where your respawn point is random. The "I want to be able to PK like UO" crowd are in for a disappointment. Plenty of full loot gankfests out there or releasing soon like Albion Online or Crowfall for those that want that playstyle. Like someone said in an earlier post today. 
    How developers should look at changing mechanics.
    Is it fun?  ---->Yes
    Is it a "pain in the butt?" ----> No
  • Options
    No, you should not be open to full loot on death in this MMORPG. (imo)
  • Options
    Then I could just, not help you and let you die so I could get your stuff, then run away before you get there. I vote no on this.
  • Options

Then you gain corruption for doing it

• Options
    I have played games that were full loot and I personally don't think it adds enough pros to the game to outweigh the cons.. in other words it doesn't add to the fun factor but subtracts from it

The above is my opinion
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    Dont like player looting players either, 
    but i like the idea about the mob that kills you and takes your inventory items so you need to kill him to get your stuff back.
    At least if some extra conditions are met:
    if the mob gets killed by someone else, he wont be abel to loot your stuff - just the standard loot, but you could get your items back anyway if you make it there in time.
    If the mob gets killed by someone else and you dont make it there in time until the corpse despawns, you could wait for it to respawn and kill it again to loot him.
    Only up to ~4 mobs could carry your old items at a time - if you die to the fifth mob the first bag will get deleted eternaly. If you keep dying to the same mob over and over the dropped items would stack eternaly however.

This mechanic would encourage people to keep trying to kill the difficult boss instead of leaving the group immediately after the first whipe..
    I hate when people do that...
  • Options
    This mechanic would encourage people to keep trying to kill the difficult boss instead of leaving the group immediately after the first whipe..

Provided they had a spare weapon. Because "the boss stole my weapon" means trying again will have you try as dead weight.

• Options

Provided they had a spare weapon. Because "the boss stole my weapon" means trying again will have you try as dead weight.

Sounds like it would end up being a grinding mechanic in the end due to needing several sets of gear just incase we wipe...
  • Options
    @SchalaZeal
    haha yea that'd be contra productive.
    But it was about items in your inventory only. No currently equipped gear  ;)

Guess i phrased it wrong in my post.. Gotta edit that.
  • Options
    Granthor said:

If I just stand there and watch you die I won't get corrupt. I didn't attack you. I just stood there and then took your stuff after you disappeared then ran away before the boss got me.
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    Granthor said:

If I just stand there and watch you die I won't get corrupt. I didn't attack you. I just stood there and then took your stuff after you disappeared then ran away before the boss got me.

Yes, but looting a dead body still should gain your a level of corruption, it's something that is looked down upon.
  • Options
    Granthor said:

Yes, but looting a dead body still should gain your a level of corruption, it's something that is looked down upon.
    I disagree. The death penalty already seems balanced, you aren't losing everything on death. If you die to a mob, I think your lost resources should either be destroyed or loot-able by everyone. I'd prefer the later because it gives you a chance to get your resources back.
  • Options
    Granthor said:

I disagree. The death penalty already seems balanced, you aren't losing everything on death. If you die to a mob, I think your lost resources should either be destroyed or loot-able by everyone. I'd prefer the later because it gives you a chance to get your resources back.

If your in the same party yes I agree, but if some joker pops in and starts looting the body, they should gain corruption.

• Options
    Just because a player kills my avatar that does not mean that player should have access to everything I worked hard for, paid for, or quested for. This is a game, you shouldn't have to potentially start all over because someone/thing killed your character. MMORPG not a MMOSurvival.
  • Options
    Would love to see full loot mechanics in place, but I don't think it's planned, unfortunately.
  • Options
    No full loot mechanics planned. Corruption death at high enough levels will have a chance of dropping or destroying items. There is no rushing back to your body, you respawn at set points in the node, except in the case of corruption death, where your respawn point is random. The "I want to be able to PK like UO" crowd are in for a disappointment. Plenty of full loot gankfests out there or releasing soon like Albion Online or Crowfall for those that want that playstyle. Like someone said in an earlier post today. 
    How developers should look at changing mechanics.
    Is it fun?  ---->Yes
    Is it a "pain in the butt?" ----> No
    I like this system just hope they take out the chance of destroying and keep it to possible looting. I would prefer the person killing the corrupt person getting the loot over it possibly getting destroyed at all.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    No, you should not be open to full loot on death in this MMORPG. (imo)
    I am not a proponent of getting looted whilst dead, despite the realism. So let me preface by saying that.

However, I do believe, if there is an MMO which can have this it's Ashes. Mostly because gear deteriorates over time anyway. And if you look at your gear the way you look at say, potions. That is as a consumable of sorts, losing it might not be as bad.

As for the rest of your inventory, don't take all your stuff with you when you go out, as it would limit movement.

I still don't think it should really be implemented or anything like that. But it would work a whole lot better in this MMO than in say a WoW.
  • Options
    I have mixed feelings. I think the flag system makes me happy with whatever route they choose. 
  • Options
    Granthor said:

If your in the same party yes I agree, but if some joker pops in and starts looting the body, they should gain corruption.

It's not like you are losing all your resources. You are losing a portion of your resources as a penalty for dying. You are not entitled to those resources now and it's ultimately your fault for dying. You messed up and bit off more then you could chew. If you get back to your body and get your resources then congrats on avoiding the penalty but I don't think you are any more entitled to those resources then a random person walking by.
  • Options
    I say NO to this. If I want this type of play style than I will go play a survival game LOL.

• Options
    I might not be the type to own a home or freehold. I might be the type that lives out of my backpack and roams endlessly. I don't think the argument, "don't keep all your stuff on you" is a fair assessment, it requires someone owning a "home" of some sorts.

Also, if someone dies that doesn't mean everyone should have access to all of their stuff. If a players who has put in 100+ hours dies that does not somehow mean a player that has put in 5+ hours and is lucky enough to come across the body deserves the gear.

I know gear deteriorates, but it is not a consumable. If I die, and someone takes my weapon/clothes/armor then I have to run around in underpants, go back to an area where I can wipe mods with nothing, and start gaining wealth to get my gear back.

Why would an MMORPG (not a survival) do that to players?

I think this play style does work in a lot of games, but imo, not an MMO-RPG.
  • Options
    My body is always open for looting...
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    My body is always open for looting...

Can I have your humerus or is my skinning skill to low?