Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Naming rules

Hello, has something been said about the naming rules in Ashes ? Will there be only one with X name or could you meet someone running around with the same name as you ? 

I hate when i am making a character and i get the message "that name is taken already".. I really hope that multiple characters can have the same name. 

Comments

• Options
    I am unsure if people will be able to have the same name as it could lead to a lot of potential problems. Such as impersonation that can have a hefty effect on the victim's economic and social aspects. Due to that, I am 98% sure that you will in fact not be able to have the same name as someone.
  • Options
    As long as names are restricted per server and not globally then i dont care if theres another lysander on server B
  • Options
    One thing that I believe should also be brought up are special characters. There should be a smart mechanic in place that will allow certain special characters in certain ways, eg. allow a underscore only in between 2 words, but not as a first or last letter.

This is mainly to prevent those creative fellas from going all out on ___Kirito____ or X_AwesomeDude_X or even worse, xX_TheMan_Xx.
    This is totally oldschool 2001 and hurts my eyes whenever I see it.
  • Options
    Lysander said:
    As long as names are restricted per server and not globally then i dont care if theres another lysander on server B
    Now taking Lysander on server A
  • Options
    Lysander said:
    Now taking Lysander on server A
    Welp, time to migrate to a different server. 
  • Options
    Haha I'm just playin.. got names that I've been using for years that I'll probably stick to. Creature of habit.
  • Options
    impersonations can be side stepped by inspecting or having the account name associated with the character name. I feel allowing special characters kills immersion. 

we live in a world where there are multiple John Smiths and for me that is something that increases immersion greatly. Now i'm not saying all blacksmiths should have the last name Smith or LaForge. But still a subtle tool to increase immersion.
  • Options
    Birnir said:
    impersonations can be side stepped by inspecting or having the account name associated with the character name. I feel allowing special characters kills immersion. 

we live in a world where there are multiple John Smiths and for me that is something that increases immersion greatly. Now i'm not saying all blacksmiths should have the last name Smith or LaForge. But still a subtle tool to increase immersion.
    The account name shouldn't be connected to the character name in any way. That annoyed me in BDO, and we don't need it. Having people named the same is also a bad idea, it would enable people to impersonate characters they dislike. Anyway, allow a space between a first and lastname, or force people to create a first and last name. Also, disabling numbers in names would be for the best.

First Name - [ John ]
    Last Name - [ Doe  ]

That's fine.

First Name - [ G0D ]
    Last Name - [ K1LL3R_X  ]

And this is fuckin' deplorable.
  • Options
    Ahhh i can see myself in the future after 1-2 hours of character creation finaly choosing a name .... that name is taken already .. next .. that name is taken already .. that name is taken already xD

I dont get bothered by this kiddy names you mentioned but i hope they find a solution that makes everyone happy. 
  • Options
    Because this has changed into a discussion about cringeworthy names, I'd like to join in on that.

The reason I've started disliking special characters is a related one, and that would be people naming themselves Félicitá when Felicita is already taken, without regarding what those characters actually mean or we take that road further down and land at names like Fëɭǐçǐ†ã.
    Because, you know, the more special characters you have in a name, the cooler, more unique and more of a pro gamer you are.

But leaving them in helps identifying players you might not want to associate with because you already get a short insight into what they might be like. Also, they have to live with the name and cringe while looking for every possible opportunity to change the name after a few years, not me.

But I agree that it is unrealistic to only have one name per server - the game can use identification numbers to tell people apart. Then again, while that might work well in mobile games where people usually don't need to communicate a lot in the first place, it might be a problem in MMOs if you want to find people again you might have played with before. Or things like guild invites.

It's difficult. I'm not certain what I want in this regard myself, to be honest.
  • Options
    1 name on 1 server.  Thats all, u can use imagination to modify your nickname. For example I always make last name  for my char, ofc if space is allowed, but it will be I think.