Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What Anti-CC system do you like better?

As far as PvP goes, CC is one of the most important parts of any characters kit. CC can definitely be pushed to unfun levels tho once it becomes too prevalent in abilities, or the system meant to lessen its effects isn't tuned properly. 

So what method do you like the most when it comes To CC?

Diminishing returns is the most common system I see in games. CC within the same school stuns vs charms vs disorients last for less and less time based on the amount of times that school off CC has hit you in a certain time frame. It's rather straightforward but a lot of the time as games progress more CC gets added and it can still feel like you're stun locked due to the shear amount. 

White barred is something I experienced in SwtOR. You can bee CC'd a certain number of times within a period with different CC increasing your bar by different amount until the bar is maxed. Once the bar is maxed you are immune to CC for a few seconds. I really enjoy this system, but it can be rough with inexperienced players who white bar people at bad times. 

None-no system, complete and total stun locks possible. Super fun to stun lock people, super horrible to be the person stun locked

and finally any other systems that you may have encountered that you enjoy or just in general an idea you have. 

Comments

• Options
    They have said a few different times they are against stun locking. Not CC in general, just those mechanics that allow you to stun lock. If you watched the charity event and Steven playing his Moba, you could see and hear his opinion on stun locking when he had that bad batch of matches a few hours in. They have said that they will look at it over the course of testing, so while there may be people that find that build that allows them to get to that point, expect it to be nerfed and changed before live launch.
  • Options
    In my mind Diminishing returns has always been the "best" concept overall but it causes issues in larger scale batters and in very competitive scenes.(As it often requires addons or similar tools to truly know the timing of the DR.)

With that said, this game plans to have a lot of emphasis on World PvP and also cater to an Arena system. I think a "lockout period" would be a more ideal system to allow better functionality of both.
  • Options
    DR works the best I think because a lockout system is basically hand holding.  It should be up to the player if it's worth a GCD to use an ability that may or may not work as efficiently as using a harder hitting attack or so on.  With there being a lockout it would just tell the person "Hey, can't use this so use something else."  I'd rather the choice of abilities be up to the player and the effects of their choice in PvP be a factor on live or die.
  • Options
    I think if the CC is  built with consideration than there is no need for any additional systems.
    Sure if every spell with a sure hit lock on function stuns you for 5seconds, than you need something to counterweight it like diminishing returns, dispells and so on, but if they are skill based in a balanced risk/reward than there is no need for further intervention.
    Especially in this bigger group approach. I can see it happening more on a "I throw my shield bash cc and lock myself out for a second due to the heavy impact so you can do some additional burst damage." base
    If you miss you might be unbalanced for a second taking more damage yourself instead.

So my answer is none, rather build a good cc system in the first place.
  • Options
    Just to clarify really quick based on @Pooka 's comment. A lock out/white bar system doesn't prevent you from casting CC, it prevents the target from being effected by the CC. It most certainly should tell the caster to press a different button, but from personal experience, people love throwing CC at an immune person lol. 
  • Options
    Just to clarify really quick based on @Pooka 's comment. A lock out/white bar system doesn't prevent you from casting CC, it prevents the target from being effected by the CC. It most certainly should tell the caster to press a different button, but from personal experience, people love throwing CC at an immune person lol. 
    Ah, I see.  Then I don't care, as long as there's no hand holding.  I love when people waste CC on me.
  • Options
    Yeah I really go back and forth on it. I hopped back on WoW for about a month and they use diminishing returns. Even though those diminishing returns are in place and very noticeable, it's possible to be taken out commission for close to 30 seconds if the enemy team knows how to properly chain. As a healer life can be very unfun. 

White bars on the other hand get rid of that "oh my god I haven't moved for a minute" feeling, but can have it's own issues too. 
  • Options
    In my opinion you should have to actively deal with CCs.
    Have a basic move just like jump or sprint that allows you to break any hard CC at certain ressource costs. If you successfully break a hard CC you should get immunity to it for a few seconds. That way you won't get stun locked as long as you manage your ressources.
    Soft CCs like slows don't need any general counter, but there should be a number of active and passive skills (and possibly gear options) that reduce the duration or severity of the effect (maybe up to temporary immunity for mobility based classes like ranger/rogue)
  • Options
    Brir said:
    In my opinion you should have to actively deal with CCs.
    Have a basic move just like jump or sprint that allows you to break any hard CC at certain ressource costs. If you successfully break a hard CC you should get immunity to it for a few seconds. That way you won't get stun locked as long as you manage your ressources.
    Soft CCs like slows don't need any general counter, but there should be a number of active and passive skills (and possibly gear options) that reduce the duration or severity of the effect (maybe up to temporary immunity for mobility based classes like ranger/rogue)

I like this but it really doesn't deal with chain cc from a group... perhaps maybe one of the buffs the bard can give increases resistance to CCs?
  • Options
    Imo it should be like this:
    - all types of stuns are action combat, no auto aim
    - while stunned, your immune to further stun effects
    - each class has 1-3 abilitys to dodge incoming stuns, these abilitys include some kind of repositioning and/or iframe for about 0.2-1.5 sec and maybe other effects depending on class.

im not a fan of diminishing returns or other types of 'i play so bad and let me stun all day so the game feels sorry and makes me immune to everything'.
  • Options
    I think the best way would be to control the implementation of CC's. Not every class needs them, not every class should have an easy way out either. I do think that there needs to be consideration for chain locks.

I have always thought that stuns should be used to get away or better position yourself, not go ballistic and then stun again before you get hit. With that in mind, I would like to see stuns offer dmg resistance. You can stun me all you want, it sucks for me, but it doesn't give you the 1-3 seconds to put massive damage on me either. Stun and run.