Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Don't be another Star Citizen!

I am just going to say, the guys over at SC are milking that game going on 6 years now, and it's still in the alpha stage. I don't see AoC doing this, but I just saying don't be another Star Citizen. Meaning making promises, and getting everyone excited, but not getting the game out to what you said it would be. I have lost faith in that game, and I don't see it getting finished at all.

Comments

• Options
    I think SC is a sham, but if they ever release a playable stand alone game that doesn't require P2W I might jump in. But I never jumped on that hype train or gave them money. I was kind of burned by NMS, but with their updates it was worth being loyal.

I don't see IS doing this. I think GMSteven is as excited to play with us in his world as we are :wink:
  • Options
    All game developers are excited for people to play in their worlds.
    That doesn't mean all of those games will be released.
    Many of them will become vaporware.

Quite a few of us here are fans from EQNext.
    Those devs were as excited to play in that world as we were.
    Shit happens.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

Shit happens.

Oh right I totally forgot about EQ Next, what a shame on that front too.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

Shit happens.
    This. But it's all about taking that risk.

It's a chance we all take backing any unfinished product. I invested in my friend's bakery and she closed shop within a year and I lost my money but I believed what she was doing so felt it was money well spent. I also got free cake.

Wether you believe in Star Citizen, EQNext or AoC, you have to take the chance on it if you truely think it's worth the investment. 

Even if AoC is never released (which I'm 99% won't happen) I still feel good about the $500+ I've spent trying to make this project a reality because instead of sitting around wishing I had a game like this to play, I did something to realize that dream.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Dygz said:

Shit happens.
    This. But it's all about taking that risk.

It's a chance we all take backing any unfinished product. I invested in my friend's bakery and she closed shop within a year and I lost my money but I believed what she was doing so felt it was money well spent. I also got free cake.

Wether you believe in Star Citizen, EQNext or AoC, you have to take the chance on it if you truely think it's worth the investment. 

Even if AoC is never released (which I'm 99% won't happen) I still feel good about the $500+ I've spent trying to make this project a reality because instead of sitting around wishing I had a game like this to play, I did something to realize that dream.

I got a better feeling on this game being released, over ones in the past I had my eye on. UO2 comes to mind for me, I was just as excited, but once the guy behind the 1st UO left the team, that's when everything when to hell with the UO2. A game that never was. Oh the pain of it all. But this one, for me at least, will be the UO2 I been looking for. Whatever the name is at the door, it will have everything I was looking to do in UO2 and more.
  • Options
    SC isn't milking anything. I don't feel like ranting in another Games forums about SC. All i'm going to say is their Game Mechanics are far more advanced than any MMO's that have been created and probably will be for a long time.
  • Options
    I would love for AoC to become another Star Citizen, tbh. The amount of dedication, funds, staff and community interaction is unseen. I have met a few of the developers on concierge meetings and they are probably the most enthousiastic gamers/developers I have ever met. They all want to make the ultimate game with unseen tech, so a timeframe is irrelevant. I mean, would you be happy to be promissed a trip to mars and only getting a bus-trip to the next town? Quality needs time, and it's quality what they will deliver AoC is going to be great if they can deliver what is promissed, but I do feel Star Citizen is in it's own league.

But still, it's an opinion which everyone is entitled to have. Giving discredit before anything is proven however is just unfair to any party.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

Shit happens.

But it's why shit happened that still makes me shake my head. The excuse for scrapping EQNext "it wasn't fun" certainly made no sense. Of course there was much more to it then that. Sony selling to Daybreak was the beginning of the end, imo. And once John Smedley left, I knew it was only a matter of time. (Not because he could have saved EQNext, but because it was the handwriting on the wall. And, hey, he's not the villain many think he is). Then there was the infighting supposedly going on behind the scenes and who knows what all.

The point being that I don't think that what happened to EQN can happen to AOC. I think it comes down to leadership and that everyone at AOC is passionate about the game succeeding.

• Options
    Never gave star citizen a second glance though did get burnt by EQN, it is what it is. I just don't see the same thing happening with AOC but time will tell.
  • Options
    Saying you don't want AoC to wind up like Star Citizen is begging for the games failure imo. The devs at CiG are some of the most dedicated and hardworking developers on the planet, and this is from someone who has not even dedicated as much to supporting that game as I have to this one.