[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Job vs Class system

I've played many RPGs and MMOs but one thing i very quickly realised is how good a Job system feels over a traditional Class system.

In a traditional Class system you make a new character for every class, be it a Warrior, a Wizard or a Thief. In a Job system you play as a single character that can switch between these classes.

Specifically, in Final Fantasy XIV it is amazing how i can be a max-lvl Red Mage but i can still switch to my lvl18 Archer and play at low-lvls with my friends on the same character without losing all the story, quests, achievements, items and mounts progress i've made. This is especially relevant when my friends are missing a tank and i would be HAPPY to switch to one without "wasting" progress on an alt. I'm not sure i can go back to a traditional Class system anymore as making a new character takes away from the investment and connection i have with my first character.

I know AoC is going the traditional Class system but i wonder how connected alt characters will be. I hope crafting, achievements, guild, exploration and other things will be shared between characters, because it kinda sucks to lose progress just because i want to play another class

Comments

• Well, then you are in for disappointment. Stated multiple times in livestreams that primary archetype will not be changeable, and secondary only through real effort, either a quest chain or prohibitively expensive fee.
  • This would go against Intrepids vision of individuality of characters. However it is a possibility you'll be able to swap your secondary archetype.