Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Well, this sort of made Pooka wet

Hello friends, Pooka here.  So Pooka just saw this picture and it sorta made him a little thirsty.

What you guys think about the names of all the things?  It really paints a picture for Pooka on what classes may be like.

Comments

• Options
    I think alot of the names are good But I can see they were really stuck when they were renaming a few.. 

Examples of the bad ones:

Brood Warden, Song Warden, ShadowMancer, SpellMancer,Soulbow,Scion and Argent. These names are either repetitive or make little to no sense, like Scion and Argent, (Scion "noteable birth", and Argent "meaning Silver")

Also a lot of the Ranger names where underwhelming, like Ranger/Rogue (Scout) which feels a little beginner like? I understand the premise but it feels like something you are before you become a ranger or a rogue. The only two in the ranger line that seem to be okay were Hawkeye and Falconer.

It feels like they missed a step with these names in my opinion. Also Bard Fighter IMO Skalad would have been a better fit than "FellSword".

On a positive note  they had some great names, like Siren, Trickster, Charlatan, SpellHunter.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    The name Siren sparked quite the controversy within my guild (lol) but I like most of the names! I‘m gonna have to have quite a few alts bc of this tbh :P
  • Options
    I wanna be a knight so bad! >v<
  • Options
    NECROMANCER !!!!
  • Options
    Pooka is interested in Predator or Assassin.  Pooka will kill everything.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I dig many of the names- I love the variety of exotic and familiar (perhaps I am just a fanboy). To me, the name Scout is not underwhelming as it requires the ability to move quietly, survey and assess, and eliminate if necessary. That's why the military has scout snipers. I'd hardly call them entry level. :wink:

Where is the Berserker/Barbarian (is this Wild Blade)? Inquisitor? Illusionist/Mesmer?

I feel like the Fighter/Rogue combo was a missed opportunity for Skirmisher- that name totally encompasses a Fighter that incorporates more roguish techniques in his fighting style (guerrilla tactics, hit and run, etc.)

EDIT: Alright, I am not a fan of Argent either. There are so many other name possibilities that I can immediately think of to better capture the essence of a Tank/Bard. As I edit this these are the few I could come up with:

Enforcer
    Marshal
    Distractor (that one is not so good, but a Tank that relies on Misdirection is pretty kick@$$).

Upon further reflection, I also see many of the names might have a conflict in abbreviation (something us MMORPGers do in every game). I have composed a table of what I believe to be likely abbreviations for the starter classes and the names of the combined classes. Some I could not think of.

Now if you notice, there are (3) SS, (2) SB, (2) SM, (2) SC, and (2) SW. Seeing a pattern here?

Spell, Song, and Shadow are the most frequently used words in this list and could cause a fair bit of confusion.

"Focus SS!"
    "Who?"
    "Spell guy!"
    "The Spellsword, the Spellshield, or the Spellstone?!?!!"

Makes my mind hurt. Now I will say that I understand that my abbreviations are extreme and You can say SpSw, SpSh, and SpSt for those classes mentioned in the dramatic dialogue I provided.

I see now that some of these "feel" a little lazy in their designations. Let's hope this isn't the last rendition of this chart.

Jeauxi provided a pretty cool list of suggestions many moons ago on Reddit. some of his speculations even proved accurate. Here is the link for those so inclined:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/6aswq2/class_combo_names_speculation/

• Options
    You can solve a lot of that abbreviation headache by doing the same thing that we do with days and months. Use a three letter abbreviation! Jun/Jul May/Mar and all that

SSW spellsword
    SSH spellshield
    SST spellstone

etc
  • Options
    Nothing much, those are just names after all. I am waiting for the augmentation system to understand anything. Most of those names could go anywhere.
    Some might still remember Stevens talk about bards "bards are not always musical, they can be storytellers, writing in blood" his icon is writing related too not musical even tho most of his names suggest a musical theme.. sooooo yeah..
    I'm simply more curious about the interpretation than the names.
  • Options
    Dont really like all the names that include spell, shadow and objects like sword or shield.
    Id want to play as a person and not some tool.
    Also they get somehow repetive.

The actual names arnt that important to me, its more important that all the different classes are fundamentaly different and unique. Especialy in regards to gameplay but aswell names.

Can the gameplay really be unique if half of them are named
    spell..., shadow..., ...sword already? I mean the name should be some kind of design foundation of a class, right?

On the other hand i see the difficulty in finding appropriate names for every single class since each of them has 14 more classes with 50% and one with 100% identical basis..

So they probably did a 'okay' job overall ??
  • Options
    No Dark Knight/Death Knight or similar....ok..  :'( 

But interesting the Cleric makes a Summoner to a Necromancer but a Knight to a Paladin.....so....can i have dark skills for my Paladin please? Fallen Paladin?
  • Options
    Edgelord
  • Options
    There sick af.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm with you, I'm trying my best to find a way to play some kind of Dark Knight as well. I'm thinking Fighter/Rogue or just going necro and hoping plate armor and a 2 hander makes it somewhat viable.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I like most of the names. The only one that really needs to be changed is Brood Warden. I can't help but think broodmare - a mare used for breeding. Well, I suppose it's appropriate if that's going to be the main role of a Brood Warden  :p

• Options
    Knight, Guardian, or Paladin for me!
  • Options
    I am already in love with most of these names :smile:

• Options
    I'm hoping you're a woman Pooka or I'll be very upset.
  • Options
    Please Pooka don't be wet..  Cuuhi don't like when things wet.  But that chart make Cuuhi very excited!  Cuuhi glad Pooka show him chart.  Cuuhi want to marry Pooka.
  • Options
    Summoner/Rogue should be called Edgelord not shadow lord