[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Why we need Character Collision, and where.

First off, where we don't need it:
Any PUBLIC place where folks are expected to go AFK. Thus, the Bank, the Tavern, etc. Going AFK should not screw other players over by denying them access to certain locations.

Other than that, we need Character Collision. Without it, combat becomes boring and one-dimensional. Players should be able to setup roadblocks to slow down convoys, or attempt to rob travelers. Groups should be able to utilize tactics in combat--Tanks should be able to body-block for their mages and healers, or surround opponents.  Someone should be able to stand in their doorway to keep people out of their Freehold home (personal space, not public).

That's my take on it. What is yours?

Comments

• I 100% agree on all your points for this subject, I've missed player collision in alot of recent MMOs.
    It was used so nicely back in for example Tibia where you would always use it as a tactic of all PvP/PvE combat scenarios.
  • Revelation Online had a great feature to F12 all the other players out of existence.   I believe something like this would be good for towns, in case you just want to get in, do your thing at the mailbox, stalls, etc.  

For every other part of the game, collision should be in full effect.   Verra is a world.   Until we can just phase through people at the local mall, Verra should follow those same rules
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    Collision
    Pros:
    - Natural feel
    - Makes zerg ambushes at the corner less possible
    - Lets see numbers more clearly in mass PvP
    - Removes stacking cheese
    - somehow eases targeting without overlapping hitboxes
    Cons:
    -Might be exploitable in plaсes where flagging doesnt work
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    I would say have collision everywhere, BUT making players able to avoid collision by entering some kind of "prowl" mode, by pressing a key bind or something.

This "prowl" mode slows down your character movement speed, but makes him able to walk through crowds.

Slowdown is necessary to avoid abuse in combat situations.

Alternatively: "prowl" mode can have no slowdown if it will not work while in combat.
  • I love the idea of collision. I haven't researched it enough to be able to name the exploits possible or commonly used. There is however, always a solution to every problem. For public areas, you can have guards, bouncers, burly shop owners, etc. remove people that attempt to afk or block bottleneck portals from space to space.
  • As long as it will not be exploited I am all aboard with the idea. The prowl thing makes sense as well so nobody blocks access to public POI.
  • I am all for character collision.  It makes for all kinds of tactical choices especially in PvP.

It's gotta be IN.
  • What is today with necroing threads ^^
  • no collision in any town/city/metropolis please, players can grief with it so easily. unless there's a phase/prowl mode like gothix suggested.
  • They have stated at least a couple times that there will be mechanics to handle stuff like players using collision to grief others or trying to block trade routes and such. The problem with necroing threads is that people read the early posts and don't look at the dates and realize that issues may have been clarified in the interim.
  • Man, somebody repeats a question and they get told to use the search function. 

As long as we don't bring back the PvP vs PvE threads.... Those can stay in the furthest depths of hell
  • Althor said:
    Man, somebody repeats a question and they get told to use the search function. 

As long as we don't bring back the PvP vs PvE threads.... Those can stay in the furthest depths of hell
    hahaha yes there are some things that should stay dead
  • Can't have your army ressurect and ditch you now, hu?
  • Grisu said:
    Can't have your army ressurect and ditch you now, hu?
    I treat my minions very well thank you very much and as such they would never leave me. And if they do I have need for bones for my new house
  • nagash said:
    Grisu said:
    Can't have your army ressurect and ditch you now, hu?
    I treat my minions very well thank you very much and as such they would never leave me. And if they do I have need for bones for my new house
    What are the living conditions for your summons and how much do they get paid ? 
  • I am all for collision! Ahhh good times pushing out some random afk on the harbor in Archeage for him to find him self on some distant isle or in the middle of the ocean.
    I also like the thing that @Jahlon mentioned for F12 being able to remove players from the screen.
  • Collision brings another matter to the discussion.
    What should avoid collision? Teleport, leap, charge, roll?

I think collision is good as long as it stays on a more realistic base and diminished a lot on safe areas.