Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Taxation Inquiries

I'd like to start a discussion about Taxation. I do not know if this discussion has already been had (and is now buried beneath the avalanche of daily threads), or if it has not and this is the first mentions of this. It goes without saying that the ideas behind AoC aren't new. There are plenty of examples of individual pieces of the greater machine having been executed in other games, weather they be in a Single-Player, or a Multi-Player game, or even a Table-Top game.

For example, I'd like to bring you to World of Warcraft, and Eve Online. In the games, there is a taxation system which either game employs differently. In World of Warcraft, the amount is a set % that detracts from the gold you loot, and deposits it into the Guild Bank. (I don't believe that the 'tax' is actually detracted from the money looted, prior to looting, or is detracted at all and the money appears out of thin air in the guild bank, with little impact upon the player) But in Eve Online, the Corporation Leader/Manager can change this value, and it does display the monetary values the corporation takes and puts into the Corporation wallet. In both cases, this incentives greedy players to form guilds and invite as many people they can, and use them to generate gold for them. However, for the player, the experience differs. In World of Warcraft, I hardly notice the Guild Bank income as I'm not actively told what, or if, I'm donating into it when I loot. But in Eve Online, I am told that a certain income has been taxed into the Corporation Bank. If the tax is high, I'd generally feel like the corporation wasn't worth my time, unless the benefits of funding the Corporation were an acceptable trade-off. If the tax is low, I might be more inclined to stay for the "free" benefits.

I am curious as to what level of Taxation, if any, will be employed.  
  • Will there be an option to tax guild members?
  • How detailed/customizable would the controls for taxation be? (I.e. Increasing % for higher transactions, if the money gained is below a certain income, lower % for higher guild-ranked members...)
  • Would there be any way to set a regional tax?
  • Would there be a job/profession for Tax Collections? 
  • Would the system be automated, or require manual interactions? (I.E. Through Tax Collectors, or NPC interactions.)
  • Would buildings be required to be constructed in order to 'activate' the taxing system?
  • Should there even be a taxation system?
  • Should there be an involuntary taxing system? (I.E. Unable to 'Opt Out' of paying.)

Thank you for reading, and I hope for constructive feedback!

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    For guild taxes, I wouldn't be surprised if we have it but I don't think it has been talked about. 

I'd recommend reading about the node system if you haven't: http://www.aocwiki.net/Nodes

We know there are node taxes that allow leaders of the nodes to tax the citizens. The money taxed is put in the nodes "bank" and used to develop the node. The leader can't take it for them self. We know node leaders can control how much is taxed but i don't think we know much more of the details besides that.

To me, it sounds like all taxes will be collected automatically. I don't think we have heard anything of a tax collection role.

• No Taxation Without Representation!