Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Arch Wizard = Gandalf the Grey?

I didn't find much of this class, but my question is...........

Is this what Gandalf the Grey class was in LOTR?

So does this mean we can weld a staff and sword at the same time, and have the magic powers to boot?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    Can't tell if troll but will assume not. It's kind of hard to tell what gandolf would have been because we have 2 different universes here. I'd think Ashe's universe's equivalent of the powerful wizard would be the Archewizard but Magician might be closer to Gandalf's class fantasy because of the verbal component his spells had. I feel like augmenting the Bards word spells with mage augments would get you closer to Gandalf's kind of magic.

• Options
    I know he is in a different universe, but mainly I was using him as a reference point. I tried looking this class up, and there really isn't much out there. So in a way, AOC can make it their own to a point. Maybe once you get to this point of adding the 2nd class, they can add a branch of elemental type powers. Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light. You can pike one or two but not all, or just be a grandmaster of one type.
  • Options
    Certainly Gandalf is the archetype for wizards, but it sounds like you're asking if there will be a dual class wizard, i.e. fighter/mage (more of D&D concept)which, imo, Gandalf technically was not. In AOC, however, one can pick a primary and a secondary class. So, I'd say yes - you can have a sword and wield magic.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    dabudo said:
    Certainly Gandalf is the archetype for wizards, but it sounds like you're asking if there will be a dual class wizard, i.e. fighter/mage (more of D&D concept)which, imo, Gandalf technically was not. In AOC, however, one can pick a primary and a secondary class. So, I'd say yes - you can have a sword and wield magic.

I was thinking more in line with the staff and sword welding. I figured we have the magic part no matter what.

• Options
    Based on the pax demo, staffs are 2 handed weapons so you wouldn't be able to wield a sword with it. Maybe we ill get some kind of focus off-hand item that looks similar to a staff.
  • Options
    Based on the pax demo, staffs are 2 handed weapons so you wouldn't be able to wield a sword with it. Maybe we ill get some kind of focus off-hand item that looks similar to a staff.

Well I am hoping maybe, just maybe the Arch Wizard will have this as an option, and only them.