Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How do you think "Events" should be handled?

In this post I want to ask the community a question, what do you think about "Events" and how do you think Ashes will implement them, if at all? My personal opinion on the matter is that events no matter how big or small benefit the game and by bring the community together to participate in various activities.  

I am bringing this post up because I am very excited to see different "events" or encounters caused by the node system in this game. Should events be limited to occurring from nodes and the world we explore? There will most likely be events that are specific to a certain time of year. Although, do you think it would be appropriate to have events that are specific to a certain time and place. (like a main city hub) this would bring a massive amount of players to a central location for a event/quest/contest/tournament. Server announcements pertaining to special events could also be a interesting option depending on the situation although I always liked announcements to be made in main city hubs.   

Players joining together from all over the server to participate in the community for things like events has always been one of my favorite pastimes and I am excited to see how Intrepid handles them.  

Let me know your guys opinion or what kind of events your looking forward to,
and...

Happy Holidays :) 

Comments

• Options
    I like what they are going for so far.
    Events caused by node development that effects the entire nodes Zone Of Influence.

If they do special server wide events I don't think they should be limited to one node. Forcing players to travel to another node, they might not like, to enjoy the benefits of a server wide event seems off-putting.

Remember, cities in Ashes won't be static. There's not a start city that is always the same or a central city everyone travels to for endgame content (because there shouldn't be any).

I am down with server wide events, tournaments and such, but they should either be hosted by players of a node or non-node specific.

As for node-specific content, like a node reaching level 6 and summoning a dragon, I don't know if that should be posted as an "everyone in" type thing. I think anyone should be able to participate, I just don't know if it should be broadcast to the whole server before it starts.
  • Options
    I like the idea of having seasonal and node progression in AoC. 
  • Options
    @Azathoth
    You have many valid points about the node system and I too like what they are going for so far :)
    Server wide events hosted by player of a node I think would be a great idea, especially with nodes the always changing. 

I am really unsure about how people are going to be aware that there is an event happening at a node, (a giant dragon flying around is a good indicator) although not always is the event going to be fight off a dragon. These events could be of a smaller scale and without going to the node itself to see whats happening ... how will people be informed. 

• Options
    Personally I love the current concept for events!
    But I have a soft spot for not just developer influenced events, but player influenced events.

Storytime! my first mmo was Fiesta Online when I was basically a smol child. 
    You wanted events? They provided them, from races on certain days, to hide and seek, to scavenger hunts. The developers themselves played with the community during these events. On "God" accounts that if players flagged and attacked them they would jokingly smite them then resurrect them. Just for laughs. 

Or having "Five players versus one of us." type of events, 
    But something I remember clearly was my first guild leader, She had a weekly event where she would hide herself somewhere in the world, and groups of two would go out searching for her. 
    If you found her she would literally gift both of the people 7 day costumes or give us items in-game such as high tier potions. Simply as a reward. 

Chat games like "guess the number." and more were a thing... 
    Events are very special.

With the node system, there will probably be server wide events, but they might be restricted to regions where multiple nodes exist, like a gigantic yeti spawning with a Santa hat for Christmas (or a krampus that goes around hunting players.) 

Or gibbering maws getting fluffier and deadlier for easter, so in every region where gibbering maws exist, they're now more deadly.

But personally I love all types of events, and I really hope they make some memorable ones happen.

One game I played called Atlantica online, there was an event where enemy pve forces (huge armies of them) rose up and set course for villages/settlements. 
    You had to either kill all the armies, or hold them back long enough as a server to survive. 
    Losing this had huge consequences like entire towns losing some of their npcs, or players not being able to access certain perks from these areas.
    It was rough. 

I'm kind of hoping for that level of severity in ashes :) 
  • Options
    Seeing as how seasonal events and the like have been done in other MMOs, I'm most looking forward to how Intrepid will manage node events.

I've heard mention of events that are triggered when a node levels up, but I'm curious as to what kind of events get triggered when a node is destroyed (other than neighboring nodes being allowed to progress again, as the progression of those nodes will have their own events triggered).

Also, I'm curious as to what happens with the dynamics of mother-node and child-node absorption with regards to events inside the mother-nodes' ZOI. 

Some of this stuff might have been discussed by Intrepid already, but I've been out of the loop since summer.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    FairyPinkett said:
    Personally I love the current concept for events!
    But I have a soft spot for not just developer influenced events, but player influenced events.
    Storytime! my first mmo was Fiesta Online when I was basically a smol child. 
    You wanted events? They provided them, from races on certain days, to hide and seek, to scavenger hunts. The developers themselves played with the community during these events. On "God" accounts that if players flagged and attacked them they would jokingly smite them then resurrect them. Just for laughs. 
    Or having "Five players versus one of us." type of events, 
    But something I remember clearly was my first guild leader, She had a weekly event where she would hide herself somewhere in the world, and groups of two would go out searching for her. 
    If you found her she would literally gift both of the people 7 day costumes or give us items in-game such as high tier potions. Simply as a reward. 
    Chat games like "guess the number." and more were a thing... 
    Events are very special.
    After I did some digging on the guild forums I found your guild post today.
    I better give you a proper response....and the truth is I can completely relate.. oddly enough.
    I will elaborate for you a bit. My first MMO was illutia(a small 2D animation game). 
    They provided the small player base events for almost every occasion/holiday or even just weekly for fun! It kept everyone tight like a family. 
    We had Scavenger hunts, dice rolling / chat events, even PvP events sometimes, which I was very poor at...I could go into more detail about these little silly events and why they made the game much more enjoyable for me, but it was mostly the aspect of bringing the community together to a specific location. I hope Ashes can provide a in-game sense of community as well. 

@FairyPinkett
    Please consider me for your guild. :mrgreen:

• Options
    I like where things are going. They also said that because of the subscription financial system they would be able to add new content regularly. Dynamic events were a favorite part of mine in GW2, but they got old after the first dozen times. Having new ones tied to new nodes being developed, seasons, and updates should keep the game fresh for a long time :)
  • Options
    Via Facebook alerts like all other events in life, duh.