Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How usefull will a summoner be in a raid

How useful do you think a summoner will be in a raid? Do you think his minions will get killed off to quick? I guess he might have one tough minion or multiple weaker ones that do more damage. Its possible he may have other spells to like mesmerise or dots. 

Is he going to be more appealing to solo players and shunned buy groups including raids?

Comments

• Based on what we know about how the class system will work, I'm going to make a semi-educated guess. 

Say you are a Summoner with Tank secondary class. Now we know secondary classes augment the primary skills. So now you have summoned entities that have tank properties. 

Viola! You have a Summoner Off-Tank. Or maybe you chose a Cleric secondary, and summon a healing minion. Raid heals. 

I'm going to also assume that IS will work out a balance so that Summoner pets aren't just cast and forget OP, but need to be managed, without being super fragile.

I see a Summoner being a big part of raids.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
    Should be quite effective in raids since Summoners can pool their power to Summon golems, etc.
  • Even if the minions get killed of quick at least they would soak some of the damage for the tank. :smile:
    10/10 best raiding class :wink:
  • I wonder what the difference will be if the Summoner is the secondary class versus the primary.  A Tank/Summoner.  Will they still summon tanking pets?  Or will they just summon armor that is independent of the Tank?
  • Summoner could be good in PvE raids I think (it's all guessing ofc) because of the added "free" dps. For example pet sorcerers in ESO have long been the top class in PvE. For PvP raids I don't think it would be good cause it's really difficult to handle your pets while continuously moving around. They will get cut off easily and die.
  • I think it depends on how pets are designed. They can be summoned and fight till they die or they work more like a buff "summon potatofighter for 10 seconds" and don't take damage at all.

• I'm also really curious to see how the summoner and it's sub-classes will work. I really enjoyed Scholar in FFXIV, having a fairy to do the reactionary healing, and I could focus on preventing damage / emergency healing. 

It will really depend on how fragile they are.
  • I know pvp raid will be gucci, since multiple summoners can summon a big monster together then.

• I think they will be quite useful, I hope.
  • In one of the streams they mentioned that a group of summoners could summon a giant monster together, so imagine a shit ton of golems coming after you.