Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

why do you play mmo's

I've seen a ton of posts here on what you want to see on MMOs But let's look at why we play MMOs. As for me I've played MMOs for many years. I am just an average casual player. When I log in it is usually because I want to do something with my wife or stay occupied for a little while. I enjoy the guild aspects of meeting new people and being in a guild and group play. But mostly I enjoy sitting down with my wife and having fun together. I think this game is going in the right direction. Problems I have with various MMOs is that when we reach top or even close to top level, there is not as much to do anymore other than raids or large party activities. There is not any fun for a 2 party group and my wife and I can't play together anymore. Quests are all done or way too easy or just too repetitive. It just isn't fun and that's when I switch games. I have met a lot of people that feel the same as I do. Just looking for a place to relax and have fun for a few hours before bed.

Comments

• Options
    I play mmo games because of the community, being around people and interacting with them. When I stop playing a mmo its because no one is playing it anymore. You often need to interact with people in mmo games for trade skilling or even quests. Mmo games are at there best at launch time when the number of people playing is high.
  • Options

Hi Relwoh

thanks for sharing your thought's that was my goal in this thread is to see what it takes to keep a active community maybe if we share what keeps us playing they can address are issues

• Options
    I'm not sure I understand why I like playing MMORPGs. I like RPGs in general because of the immersion. I like that feeling of being someone else that lives in a different universe with different rules and go learn about these stories the game tells. I get this feeling of immersion by a bunch of different things and these things are often different depending on the game. I believe that's why I spend thousands of hours in RPGs like Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Witcher.
    But it always gets boring after a a finite time and inevitably I stop playing them once they get boring. I think this happens when I reach a point where I am unable to convince myself that the NPCs are there and the world starts feeling devoid of life. So I turn to MMORPGs where there is actual people there creating new stories every day and making the world feel alive and breathing so it takes a lot longer for me to feel bored or like the game has become monotonous.

Which really set Ashes apart, in a game that's able to change itself it will allow me to be immersed for a very long time as long as it has community to keep triggering the changes. So I arrive at the same answer you got from Relwoh. I play MMORPGs because they are RPGs which are given life by people, a Community.
  • Options
    Communities in MMORPGs are my everything. I enjoy meeting a wide range of players and watching them have fun and excel in the play style that they love. Whether you are a gatherer, crafter, explorer. pvper, raider, new player or veteran etc I'm always proud when I log on a game that encourages everyone to play together.

I play games to relax. I play MMORPGs to be part of a creative community that grows together <3

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2017
     MMO's allow me to interact, get to know people and get close to some as good friends without feeling the need to go out to do so. MMO's and their stories and worlds are my escape. Im an Introvert by nature. i tend to keep to myself mainly when im not at work. I left the military after 16 years and have a civilian job teaching safety courses but still find it difficult to fit into the civilian world. I feel like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole when i am out
    . I dont have much family and most of my old friends have moved on with life so i found MMO's filled that gap ..and the people i meet in game and guilds are of like mind and i dont feel it necessary to explain my hobby or my lack of wanting to leave the house much and other MMO players are not judgemental toward someone with my type of personality. 
  • Options
    MMO's to me are how I spend my free time they are my hobby, I enjoy meeting new people being part of a community. @CrazyCanukk to a degree sums it up quite well, my days of a hectic social life are behind me now, I enjoy spending time pretty much by myself, not to say that I am antisocial life has moved on as have the people I once knew.

Not having to explain to people what an MMO is or why you play them, the people you meet in game are here for many of the same reasons you are, and seek collective goals with in the games that are presented to us. But for the most part it is about having fun with a community of people who share my love of these types of games.

MMO's are the only games I play, I lost interest in FPS, strategy, and single player RPG's many years ago, they just don't have that sense of community for me that MMO's do.
  • Options
    In my case, the original story is not appropriate for the forums so I'll go with the secondary reasoning.

I always liked RPGs and I also always liked to just dive into games and stop thinking about other things. Also, there is a social aspect which for 15 year old me was a great way to meet people.
    The customisation and visible improvement of your character are things that keep me motivated, and if I see others do it as well, I have something or rather someone I can measure my progress with and have people to work together with to reach that goal.
  • Options
    Image result for conan lamentations meme
  • Options
    I play for many reasons.. but I love myself a good mmo. It's a very nostalgic feeling. If it wasn't for the great community's that surround the genre today I don't think I would be as invested. 
    To have fun is the main goal..
    Happy New Year :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Honestly I'm a little late to the party when it comes to MMOs.  I got my feet wet a little with ESO just so I can get a little bit of experience.  AoC is the first MMO though that has really genuinely caught my interest because the world changes due to player's actions.  Your decisions actually matter and help shape the world you're in and I think it'll elevate the "community" aspect of it to another level.  So to sum up I've been patiently waiting for an MMO like this to really invest time in. 

So yes I'm really really hoping that IS executes that vision.
  • Options
    I've always been an MMORPG player since I started playing them when I was 11. I loved being able to escape from boring ol' real life and exploring a fantasy world. Back then, crappy graphics were amazing to me, it's funny comparing then and now how far MMOs have come. But ever since that first MMO, I've always wanted to get that same feeling of awe back. And I did, with many other games. I also love the aspect of a community in game, I love making allies, friends, meeting new people, as well as having enemies, and being part of a guild with a common goal. In all, MMOs for me are a way to escape real life as well as have some fun experiences in. 
  • Options
    I think I will be echoing other peoples' reasons here when I say that I personally play MMORPG games for the community, interaction and the possible feeling of belonging to something.

I cannot say that MMOs for me are an escape from reality because if I am honest with myself ALL games for me are exactly that  :D.

In the end I am a team player, I enjoy playing with others, making choices and picking sides and in general getting invested in the lore and the conflict that occurs.
  • Options
    The social aspect, the ability to meet and connect with people, to hear about their character's stories, to make stories with my character and theirs.

Honestly, I don't know why I bother with MMO's anymore, Ashes is my final attempt.
  • Options
    Simple, salt and tears.
  • Options
    so i can fish
  • Options
    The freedom the genre offers, simple.
  • Options
    so i can find meaning farming for gear, then pvping other people for pride
  • Options
    I play MMOs because I love learning new things. 
    Mmos are filled with theorycrafting, practical testing, min-maxing, social interactions and freedom which all offer a chance to learn.

In mmos I can be the person I want to become, and thus understand how I should act irl to reach that goal. Improve by taking an objective look on my actions and rationalize why I do different things, how I do them and how can I do them better.
  • Options
    to be immersed in a good story
  • Options
    immersion in a living-breathing virtual world where i can let my imagination run wild and getting awesome gear then showing it off :P 
  • Options
    For the illusion of accomplishment.