[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

External Class Skills

I know there will be a skill tree in place for when players level up and use their skill points, but I wonder if there will be any skills that can be learned outside of the skill tree. So like obtaining a skill from an npc through a quest/task.

Comments

• I am also unsure if there will be any skills learned through the means of questing/npc drops. It is not very common in games.. and I can see there being issues with it. 
    Maybe if they are feeling spicy they will try it out, in the later alpha / beta phases? :wink:

• Fuzzy memory recalls that there will be certain skill lines (not archetypal) that can be initially be learned through npc quests/interaction. We won't know till much later. I think the concern was that since not every node will have the same npcs or quests available that it would be a major whinge point if say they put certain armorsmithing skills behind an npc wall, and people didn't have access to that npc, dealing with the fallout may not be what they are looking at.
  • I am not really fond of skill lines you acquire through quests. Certainly not if they have some passives or active skills which are beneficial for PvE or PvP and not only for the quest line. Because if you lvl up alts you have have to go everytime through the same quest line which is kinda boring.
  • Newton said:
    I am not really fond of skill lines you acquire through quests. Certainly not if they have some passives or active skills which are beneficial for PvE or PvP and not only for the quest line. Because if you lvl up alts you have have to go everytime through the same quest line which is kinda boring.
    I've run into just that situation on several MMOs I've played.  Maybe they could tie it into the religion system where you get tasks from the clerics of a certain god/dess and after doing them you reach a certain rank and are granted a boon/ability by that god/dess.  As long as the pantheon is varied you could have something that would make sense for each archetype.  You could even have something for those who don't want to be involved with any kind of religion.  Maybe something by gaining favor with scholars or the local city government.
  • Skills through quests are pretty fun as long as they aren't game changing, but if they made some hidden quests to unlock more peculiar skills then I would be pretty satisfied (even though the 'hidden' quests would be up on the internet in no time).