Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Optimization for old computers or better performance

Some people cannot afford good computers and thus they have to first be able to afford a new computer to play the game. On the other hand there's also people that prefer performance over aesthetics. So it should be possible to optimize the game for this people which would make the player base larger. For instance I have a friend who hasn't been able to play mmorpgs for years because her laptop is not good enough for them. On the other hand I've played some mmorpgs with lower graphics to have a better performance while doing raids, world bosses, world events, etc. 

Comments

• Options
    I think in every game you are able to lower graphics settings for example to increase performance. AoC won't be an exception I think.
  • Options
    There should be graphics choices it's currently being built in UE4. On the other hand the developer should not have to destroy a graphically demanding game for a laptop that's over 8 years old to be able to play it. I understand the need to save money and budget but you can buy brand new laptops for under $300 with specs strong enough to run MMOs
  • Options
    As long as you don have a Windows XP computer you should be able to run after lowering the settings, as @Argentdawn said if someone is planning to play they should be willing to spend a bit for a new computer, considering the game will come out in 2 years (1 year if you count the first alpha) time it's not too late to start saving.
  • Options
    As long as you don have a Windows XP computer you should be able to run after lowering the settings, as @Argentdawn said if someone is planning to play they should be willing to spend a bit for a new computer, considering the game will come out in 2 years (1 year if you count the first alpha) time it's not too late to start saving.
    Essentially this. The ability to fine-tune graphics settings to your liking will almost certainly be in AoC like most games. That said, development potential shouldn't be constrained because some people are running older computers. I imagine the devs will do what they can to make sure people with older PCs can still run the game well enough, but players also have to be realistic about upgrading if they don't meet the requirements.
  • Options
    I find that only console ports are crap for the ability to fine tune your settings, so I'm 99% sure you'll be able too.
  • Options
    Silentry said:
    Some people cannot afford good computers and thus they have to first be able to afford a new computer to play the game. On the other hand there's also people that prefer performance over aesthetics. So it should be possible to optimize the game for this people which would make the player base larger. For instance I have a friend who hasn't been able to play mmorpgs for years because her laptop is not good enough for them. On the other hand I've played some mmorpgs with lower graphics to have a better performance while doing raids, world bosses, world events, etc. 
    Well you can do 2 things. First over clock your computer like I do so that I can avoid having to upgrade until the system basically fails. It behooves you to make sure all your stuff is backed up. Then you need to budget and purchase a new computer.
  • Options
    Save some money. You have well over a year to save up enough scratch to buy a good enough machine to run the game.  A laptop with an i7, 8 gb of ram and a low end graphics card will run the game probably smoothly enough and that would cost you maybe around a grand. Save. Because right now you are trying to convince a company that is in Alpha 0 to pretty much change the game engine and that is not going to happen.

• Options
    I want this game to be a huge succes so, in my opinion, it's okey to have graphics on low but maybe if someone has a toaster thats not enough, not our fault or devs fault of course.
    I dont like many aspects of Black Desert BUT they had an optimization mode for crap pcs, that would allow everyone to play the game smothly.
    If this takes too much time, money and effort for the devs, then maybe it's not worth but its its a thing to consider i think.
  • Options
    I dont like being the one to say this but you most likely will have to get a new pc depending on the kind you have right now. I don't know much about computers but i have a windows 7 home premium about 7 years old now and it can't run guild wars 2 on low graphics wihtout lots of lag. Computers are built to deteriorate over time so you go out and buy the "newest" product. 2 years before release if Ashes turns out to be the game im hoping for i will buy a new pc then
  • Options
    I will get a new pc because i want to play this at its almost full potential BUT you have to consider that if the game is well optimized and runs very well on low graphics, you will have more players, so more money for intrepid studios.
  • Options
    Tomoyuki said:
    Well you can do 2 things. First over clock your computer like I do so that I can avoid having to upgrade until the system basically fails. It behooves you to make sure all your stuff is backed up. Then you need to budget and purchase a new computer.

Or you can sell your old components (besides HDD obviously,but you can sell that as well if you don't care about privacy) and get some money back like that, and then use that money, plus little extra to buy new PC.

Instead of, you know, letting your system fail and trashing it.
  • Options
    Honestly, if you still have Intel Pentium with Radeon HD graphics then its your problem. We have 2018, and when game will be released it will be late 2019/early 2020. If your PC cannot handle Windows 10 smoothly then devs cannot do anything about it. They cannot allow themselves to look at old configurations as majority of people that are willing to pay $15 monthly definitely will have computer to run AOC at least on low settings.
  • Options
    @Silentry As the game is developed with Unreal Engine 4, which is quiet common, they'll be able to offer a vast amount of options to modify this graphics. On this hand, your friend should be able to play it on an old computer, even if the game won't look great then. However, Unreal Engine 4 has a minimum requirement of a DirectX 11 supporting video card. The machines at Intrepid Studios use DirectX 12. This is one thing you guys should look out for. DirectX 12 is a Windows 10 only feature (I think), so he might need to upgrade to Windows 10. WHICH, however, might not be supported. On this hand, he might not be able to play the game at all on his computer. Just heads up there! :smile: