Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mobs' Interactions with World

I just thinking about how the node system works and how mobs will be changing depending on our actions within a node. Then I thought, what if mobs also changed because of the actions of other mobs? I was playing around with the idea that maybe mobs shouldn't be hostile only to us, but also to other mobs. Like, for example, the troll in the alpha one live stream trying to hunt for food and killing the Sharpfangs for meat. I think it would cool to see interactions like that between NPC creatures. It would help make the world feel more alive and dynamic.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds interesting, but if that adds more development time and requires complex systems, I'd rather not ask for more.

The game will already be function-filled and more complex than any other MMORPG so far. 
  • Options
    If mobs were hostile twords each other it would be a little problematic when exping, rather simply make monster habitats in which certain monsters naturally appear (zombies and skeletons or other undead types shouldn't fight with eachother, and they will most likely appear in the same areas)
  • Options
    Yeah, I was just thinking it would make the world a little more organic. To me it doesn't make sense to put different mobs in the same area unless they are allied with each other. Having the NPC races have there own alliances, desires, and needs could spice up the world and allow for later on in an expansion, unlocking new playable races. 
    You are right that the same type of creature shouldn't fight each other unless it is in their nature to do so. But they don't want the world to be static and they have said that mobs will move around based on what we do, so maybe they make them move with a purpose. Taking from my troll example again: maybe we killed off a bunch of deer, because of a quest or node level up or whatever, and the effect is that the troll population migrates to a new node. Intrepid could explain it as the trolls searching for more food sources. I like things having a purpose and not happening just because.
  • Options
    Heres a thought. Mobs on horse back or other mounts that have a much larger agro range and they will run players down when they spot one.
  • Options
    It would be cool to see NPCs that ride mounts at the same speed as player mounts. It would make it more realistic for mobs to raid caravans.
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    Taking from my troll example again: maybe we killed off a bunch of deer, because of a quest or node level up or whatever, and the effect is that the troll population migrates to a new node. Intrepid could explain it as the trolls searching for more food sources. I like things having a purpose and not happening just because.
    I like your thinking Zastro, Intrepid does not need to have that Idea playable at Launch.  It could very well be a new content patch or expansion...idea.  As long as we are having fun at Launch with challenging game play.  I hope they make it a long road to level up, but give us amazing armor and crafting things along the way that we can use as we level and that the armor Looks good...so you enjoy the journey.  

Kind of off topic, but Grinds are not all bad...just because something is hard and takes time...if you love the journey and it is fun, engaging and creates community involvement...then there is enjoyable game play at all levels of the game.
  • Options
      VoidShadow 
    With the Lore presented so far I believe a race sentient enough to domesticate mounts would be a serious break.for a Virgin, undeveloped world.  Having a mob conflict with a resource competitive mob is a great concept that would make kiting very dynamic. I would like to see local mobs instigated by our freehold placement as well. No defense or lack of upkeep? Your freehold is looted by mobs, crops eaten by critters etc.
  • Options
    That is the kind of interaction I am hoping to see. Your scenario about a freehold being attacked by mobs could be the reasoning behind a monster coin event or something