Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

AOC Combat: Why Skill Shots?

Intrepid has time and time again exceeded my expectations, from their node system to their exciting economic plan for the game, but every time I watch a video on their combat system a growing fear of disaster for the game seems to creep deeper and deeper into my head. Ever time I see this seemingly gimmick like skill shot system my heart saddens a bit and I fear the future of this game. Some of you might ask why or think I'm overreacting, but at least listen to my explanation of why this combat system could go horribly wrong with just about any type of player from competitive players to immersive roleplayers.

First I'll explain my initial problems with a combat system like this and my ideas of how to mend it. Granted I understand this game is in very early alpha and this could change, and to be honest, that's the whole reason I'm writing this I'm hoping it will... But anyway my biggest concern is how gimmicky this mechanic is... Why in a game that seems to scream immersion and action would you make a player focus on a small sliver of the screen?  Imagine how tedious this would get in a large boss raid? I'd have to focus on this small little bar as well as my health, my parties health, boss timing, item usage, my parties spells, and cooldowns, etc, etc...  Ok ok, but it's not that big of a deal for really hardcore fans that aren't focused on immersion right? Wrong, For myself "Mastering" This Skill wouldn't feel like an accomplishment to me... from my perspective I'd be like "Great I can push a button on time." It doesn't give me a sense of accomplishment or make me feel like I've mastered really anything... And what about new players joining? They will see the combat system as even more annoying and tedious eventually leading them to get frustrated and quit playing. I'm not saying that a combat system should be easy... I'm saying it shouldn't be tedious when you are going to a live action combat. This "skill shot" system works well in games like dead by daylight because it isn't part of the actual combat, instead, it's used for things that benefit the group and create progress. This "Skill Shot" Could become a great mechanic used correctly... It should be used for puzzle solving, resource collecting, group healing, group buffs, and maybe even channeling magic, but this system should never be used for slashing, shooting, or any live high paced action, because in the end it just takes away from the game and doesn't give much in return...

What are your thoughts on the system? Have any ideas of how it could be used better? Or maybe you disagree completely! I'd love to hear some thoughts on it and maybe if something from devs if they ever happen to see this xD! So please comment and tell me what you think!

~Rider

Comments

• Options
    This was analyzed, discussed, dissected, and many, many, salty tears shed all over the forums immediately after PAX. They have basically said that the QTE event you are focused on will undergo many iterations over the next several months of development, and should in no way be taken as a final product. But people still focus on it. They will be looking for feedback in later testing phases, and from people who actually have played. Watch the PAX panel stream if you need clarification on their plan for combat mechanic feedback.
  • Options
    This was analyzed, discussed, dissected, and many, many, salty tears shed all over the forums immediately after PAX. They have basically said that the QTE event you are focused on will undergo many iterations over the next several months of development, and should in no way be taken as a final product. But people still focus on it. They will be looking for feedback in later testing phases, and from people who actually have played. Watch the PAX panel stream if you need clarification on their plan for combat mechanic feedback.
    Yea I heard about it and I'm just giving my ideas of how it could work :D I'm also going based off past games and how it's worked in those like I said I realize its early alpha and people have said things about it before and they have talked about it, but my thing is that it could be a great mechanic if used right :D