Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

One off Events in game

Several times a year I'd like to see the devs throw one-off events into the game.

These events should happen on each server during peak time so that as many people as possible get to experience it.

Maybe sometimes these events could be foreshadowed but sometimes they should just happen without prior warning or notice.

Maybe a world boss rampage with the boss actually controlled by a dev.  (Not the ones triggered by Node development)

A large merchant caravan rolls into your city and for 4 hours will offer really good money for several gathered or crafted materials.

It could be a natural catastrophe like a hurricane, tornado, torrential rains that cause flooding or a wild fire.

A well known NPC is murdered and a reward is offered to hunt down the killer.

A strange disease strikes your node and several NPCs are sick and dying if a cure isn't found.

A group of bandits completely closes down a main caravan route until defeated or some exorbitant ransom is paid.

An invasion force of aliens attacks through the very gates we used to reenter our world.

The material plane avatars of two gods fight to the death and change the landscape in a zone.

The possibilities are literally limitless and no event would have to be repeated.  Doing this too often would make it passe; I'm talking maybe 2-3 times a year.

Comments

• Options
    The problem with one off events is they eventually become seen as elitist and unfair. "Why does the NA-West server get all the love?" will become a common refrain if you expect developer run events. With the size of the game come launch, the actual in-game moderators are going to have a herculean task of assisting players, squashing bots and gold sellers in real time when automated systems don't take them out, and a host of other things to do besides worrying about whether you get dance around the fairy sprinkle Maypole with your guild from 2-4 PM GMT on EU-Central Server 5. You can reasonably expect from the pre-hype numbers, the fact that accounts are free with a minimal sub buy-in, that there will be a multitude of servers come launch. If they play favorites with certain content creators or guilds, it will come back to bite them in the ass. The current entitlement mentality of the gaming world would pretty much guarantee a spate of bad press. And while we won't have loot box controversies to worry about, why would they want to light fires for no reason? Be happy with the plan now.
  • Options
    There  maybe one of events around Christmas. Ester and Halloween 
  • Options
    Sw684 said:
    There  maybe one of events around Christmas. Ester and Halloween 
    I think there are some plans like those. Here is an example. In this case - Christmas. We can expect to have Easter and Halloween events as well in the future but for now they should focus on game development itself first. 
  • Options
    I would prefer no holiday specific events tied to RL holidays, but that was another thread.

I would also prefer IS take time to make meaningful content that is released from once every three months to once a year. Having one-off events several times a year, imo, would slow progression on newer content. Those events would have to tie into lore along with previous/future additional content. I don't want IS to get into the habit of throwing a one-timer out every few months just to please those that rush content or get bored easy.
  • Options
    I took it to the extreme end of one example thinking the OP meant single-use/single server content and thus my comment. But if the intent is single time events that play on all servers, you will most likely only see that in the realm of huge cock-ups. No one likes their time and effort to be wasted, so if an event is popular and runs smoothly, you can bet you will see the content recycled occasionally, if not yearly. The exceptions to these have been the major screw-ups that are community/game breakers. Probably the most famous example is from WoW, where they introduced the plague mechanic on a boss that could be carried by pets, then pets could be kept in storage until pulled and "popped" in high population areas. While it gained lots of press as a mechanic gone wrong, it wasn't actually an event. But then everyone else decided to have a zombie "popping" virus. Most games it was a one off server event, because all it was used for was to grief. There was no real benefit, and just pissed off a majority of the player base as a time sink put in to ruin play. So while someone sits around in a whiteboard meeting and says "We could make a pirates day where everyone can only say "Arrrr Matey!" no matter what they type in chat!", ultimately if your event idea is shit, it will be a "one-off".
  • Options
    The problem with one off events is they eventually become seen as elitist and unfair. "Why does the NA-West server get all the love?" will become a common refrain if you expect developer run events. With the size of the game come launch, the actual in-game moderators are going to have a herculean task of assisting players, squashing bots and gold sellers in real time when automated systems don't take them out, and a host of other things to do besides worrying about whether you get dance around the fairy sprinkle Maypole with your guild from 2-4 PM GMT on EU-Central Server 5. You can reasonably expect from the pre-hype numbers, the fact that accounts are free with a minimal sub buy-in, that there will be a multitude of servers come launch. If they play favorites with certain content creators or guilds, it will come back to bite them in the ass. The current entitlement mentality of the gaming world would pretty much guarantee a spate of bad press. And while we won't have loot box controversies to worry about, why would they want to light fires for no reason? Be happy with the plan now.

I agree that nothing could or should be done anywhere close to launch.  There certainly would not be time for it.  Probably will want to wait until the inevitable post launch server merge for sure.

I disagree that there's no place in the game for them ever.

These one-offs don't have to be complex multi-day events just fun stuff every, every now and then.

• Options
    So I played a game that had GMs log into "NPC" characters from lore in the game and trigger events.

I remember one being a pirate Lord who stole something and the community then worked on solving the clues to find where he stashed his loot. 

Another was a God who came to town and demanded people pay tribute or he'd attack. Same kind of concept as the monster coins AoC has.

I also remember a giant one time only event where you had to kill a crab in GW2. 

I always liked these types of things as it lent some history into the game. People could say "oh I was here for (blank), remember when that happened?!".
  • Options
    With gods being about and real in Verra I can see some of these things happening.
  • Options
    The occasional GM/Developer run event if done correctly would be amazing, but I do hear the concerns brought forth by @UnknownSystemError. Some of these events have become legendary over the years, the killing of Lord British comes to mind http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/03/the-game-archaeologist-the-assassination-of-lord-british/, so if done correctly can add to the immersive feel of MMOs. Its about finding that healthy middle ground where  each server and time zones feel like they are having their turn with said type of events.

• Options
    Crymoar said:
    Several times a year I'd like to see the devs throw one-off events into the game.

These events should happen on each server during peak time so that as many people as possible get to experience it.

Maybe sometimes these events could be foreshadowed but sometimes they should just happen without prior warning or notice.

Maybe a world boss rampage with the boss actually controlled by a dev.  (Not the ones triggered by Node development)

A large merchant caravan rolls into your city and for 4 hours will offer really good money for several gathered or crafted materials.

It could be a natural catastrophe like a hurricane, tornado, torrential rains that cause flooding or a wild fire.

A strange disease strikes your node and several NPCs are sick and dying if a cure isn't found.

A group of bandits completely closes down a main caravan route until defeated or some exorbitant ransom is paid.

An invasion force of aliens attacks through the very gates we used to reenter our world.

The material plane avatars of two gods fight to the death and change the landscape in a zone.

The possibilities are literally limitless and no event would have to be repeated.  Doing this too often would make it passe; I'm talking maybe 2-3 times a year.

Nice ideas man, love them. But unexpected stuff should happen that makes it exciting. Like that city is under attack let's check it out or help. I would get such a big rush to see a dragon attacking a city in the distance, spewing fire  xD Imagine the view.

• Options
    Things like Christmas events and so on are a great idea tbh, regarding world boss events and stuff like that, I think the first video about the nodes system talks about the fact that if the node is developed enough there will be such events like a Dragon attacking the node etc.
  • Options
    I am not a believer in RL holidays adding benefit to a fictional world with a different history and lore.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    IMHO. @Azathoth is right. IRL holidays will not blend into AoC.(just like they don't for every mmo) i dont think we'll have christians or pegans in AoC either. regardless of what you are IRL, this will not be RL. so christmas, easter, halloween, exc. is sorta outta the question/lore. 

we shouldnt have onetime events either unless for a expansion or update for the server to participate in. 

• Options
    Not saying to celebrate Christmas in game or something lol, but a game is a game it's not a seperate reality, either way if they did add those events they dont particualrly need to give any benefits, a quest for a costume is more than enough, well everyone has their own opinion.
  • Options
    UnknownSystemError   I fail to see how that would happen if they do it for all servers and on top of that the gold farming is not really a priority in comparison to the bug issues people will inevitably face because it is launch. I feel like you haven't played many mmo's at launch to think gold farmers is a priority. Also, doesn't make much sense to launch a developer run event when people will already be preoccupied with the actual game for the first 4 months.

Second they have already stated that all servers aren't going to be the same and (if they actually follow through with their claim) so I don't see why it would be an issue to have developer run events on certain days to months (not times). Many mmo's have already done it and as long as it is uniformly applied across all mmo's and not a 1 hour thing I fail to see how it would be an issue.

The only bad press this studio is going to receive is when they fail to live up to the hype and that is a death knell for a mmorpg just releasing.
  • Options
    They did say they want to have those.

http://www.aocwiki.net/PvE#cite_ref-5

-Have you thought about having live events out in the world, having GM’s particapate, as in EQ and Asheron's Call?

-Yes that is the plan to have places like that
    -Want it to feel alive.
    -Those are memorable moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG4aw6Ipe20&feature=youtu.be&t=25m46s

• Options
    Azathoth said:
    I am not a believer in RL holidays adding benefit to a fictional world with a different history and lore.
    Second this - when MMOs add events just to coincide with RL holidays it's gimmicky and takes away from immersion in the actual world lore. The content that usually gets added to these kinds of events is also just meh (e.g run some pointless mini game for candy rewards). I'd much rather the dev's valuable time being spent on meaningful content, since they're working so hard to build the game world up.
  • Options
    Ravudha said:
    Azathoth said:
    Second this - when MMOs add events just to coincide with RL holidays it's gimmicky and takes away from immersion in the actual world lore. The content that usually gets added to these kinds of events is also just meh (e.g run some pointless mini game for candy rewards). I'd much rather the dev's valuable time being spent on meaningful content, since they're working so hard to build the game world up.
    We don't actually know enough about world lore to say that it would be un-immersive, copying real life holidays into the game is a bad idea, but creating in game counterparts with their own lore would work.
  • Options
    I don't see why it matters if they put in real life holidays into the game as gamer immersion is highly subjective just as the developers putting in meaningful content.  As for putting in game counterparts with their own lore is silly as it would basically be the same thing. A fat dwarf that is dressed brown brings presents to gets because when the White Walkers roamed the land, kids had to stay inside. Just easier to just copy verbatim minus the name.
  • Options
    IS should be more imaginative. If they can't come up with their own holidays based on their own lore, imo, they should focus their time elsewhere.

I agree, a Very-Verra-Christmas by any other name mirroring Santa Clause is still Christmas so why make any effort and not just call it Christmas?

...this conversation has occurred in many threads, I will stop repeating myself for those that have heard me ramble about this many times before...
  • Options
    I love the idea of this. Everquest still (at least during my last recent play) ran events like this where they would guide some people through one of the zones (in my case it was one of the original game/first exp group of zones) and had a good bit of fun with the mob table in the zone. It brought the mind away from the monotony of the grind playstyle.
  • Options
    I'm to lazy to dig it up but RL holidays are planned to be present, there will be holiday related skins and such too.
    Where I am not too sure right now is if it's integrated into the lore, I THINK it was planned as an out of character thing, but as said I am not sure about that part.

I think one off events are amazing if done sparingly and to some special occasion. I envy the people that got to participate in the huge server event of opening AQ40. At the time it was a grand spectacle even tho it was an amazing grind. Accomplishing something as a server..that's just such a grand scale.

As long as it is tied to something important, let's say some old documents were found in some long forgotten ruins (later down the road as the planned "expansion") detailing some Islands further off in the sea and we would have to do all sorts of things as a server to unlock that. Making ready for a huge expedition to actually search for them. This would be great and fit into the concept of Ashes. You can only discover it once, it just gives you more a sense of history with your own server.

Just use it sparingly but meaningful, instead of a low-end filler thing.
  • Options
    I am a big fan of special events around holiday times, and surprise event of 'one offs' would be awesome also. Even if its just a GM rampaging thru a battle field or just a drunk Genie appearing in towns dropping trinkets and frankincense. 
  • Options
    Crymoar said:

I think Log Horizon somewhat does this very well, for example that goblin invasion that resulted from adventurers not participating in the event. Would love it if there was something similar but who knows how they will go about it in Ashes.
  • Options
    We don't actually know enough about world lore to say that it would be un-immersive, copying real life holidays into the game is a bad idea, but creating in game counterparts with their own lore would work.
    The issue I would see with it is the in-game year time frame they described as being about a month real world time. That would mean having a Christmas like event or a harvest festival every month. Unless they layout some sort of lore that says they only celebrate once every 12 years or something because of such and such reason. 
  • Options
    People are equating Verra to Earth. Simple enough. Verra completes its orbit around its star 12 times faster than the Earth, so the seasons change faster. Since the holidays on the world they have returned from had similar orbit to Earths, they will have their holidays over the course of the 12th Verran year. So in year 12, spring, summer, fall and winter will celebrate whatever they end up naming Christmas. Same thing with Halloween. Or pick whichever.
  • Options
    Just like the "Node System" you could have these one off events linked to certain stats on that server; maybe after the server reaches a certain milestone or set of milestones the world responds with a new event which emerged due to player action. Thank you for sharing your idea @Crymoar.