Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

South American server?

I noticed there are North American, European and Oceanic servers. That's great: however it has been brought to my attention that people in South America playing on North American servers often experience terrible PING rates (100-400 constantly).  Furthermore, there is a linguistic and cultural barrier, and a considerable amount of political tension. It does not make much sense for these players to be lumped in with players in the US and Canada.

Comments

• Options
    The NA, EU, and SEA servers are confirmed to be available at launch. They have stated several times that they will open further server localization if the market calls for it. So if you want to see them drop the resources on a SA server then you need to recruit the numbers to show them that you are worth the capital outlay. There are a few self-identified SA individuals active on these forums. What counts more is actual accounts signed up from different locations that have purchased packages. You can bot create a 100,000 accounts out of Chile if you want, but if there is no actual scratch coming in from them they will be discounted in the overall numbers for launch determination.

• Options
    Aiveleen said:
    I noticed there are North American, European and Oceanic servers. That's great: however it has been brought to my attention that people in South America playing on North American servers often experience terrible PING rates (100-400 constantly).  Furthermore, there is a linguistic and cultural barrier, and a considerable amount of political tension. It does not make much sense for these players to be lumped in with players in the US and Canada.
    SA servers themselves would have the same issues. Bare in mind that the brazilian people speaks portuguese and represents almost half the population of the continent. Therefore, spanish speakers and portuguese speakers would end up playing in the same servers. The ping may be good but the community does not mix well.

• Options
    It would be great and portuguese is easy for us spanish speakers to learn
  • Options
    Andergw said:
    Aiveleen said:
    SA servers themselves would have the same issues. Bare in mind that the brazilian people speaks portuguese and represents almost half the population of the continent. Therefore, spanish speakers and portuguese speakers would end up playing in the same servers. The ping may be good but the community does not mix well.

I'm well aware that Brazilians speak Portuguese, and that there are a crapload of them. So what? Nor will I be expecting single-language servers. This is not World of Warcraft, with so many servers that people can segment themselves into monolingual communities. Even on an NA server there will be spanish-speakers, and that's just fine. You think the rift between Spanish speakers and Portuguese speakers in South America is bad? it's nothing compared to the bad blood between the US and almost the entirety of that continent. You're talking about sports rivalries, I'm talking about centuries of exploitation. All I'm asking is that they get a little respect, for once, and get their own server. Their own server where they can tell their own story that can't be shit on by US players, and where they can compete fairly against one another instead of always being at a disadvantage in combat. I know that the reason the devs at Intrepid aren't planning on having an SA server is not because they can't, but because they are from the USA and didn't think of it.
  • Options
    Aiveleen said:
    Andergw said:
    Aiveleen said:

I'm well aware that Brazilians speak Portuguese, and that there are a crapload of them. So what? Nor will I be expecting single-language servers. This is not World of Warcraft, with so many servers that people can segment themselves into monolingual communities. Even on an NA server there will be spanish-speakers, and that's just fine. You think the rift between Spanish speakers and Portuguese speakers in South America is bad? it's nothing compared to the bad blood between the US and almost the entirety of that continent. You're talking about sports rivalries, I'm talking about centuries of exploitation. All I'm asking is that they get a little respect, for once, and get their own server. Their own server where they can tell their own story that can't be shit on by US players, and where they can compete fairly against one another instead of always being at a disadvantage in combat. I know that the reason the devs at Intrepid aren't planning on having an SA server is not because they can't, but because they are from the USA and didn't think of it.
    Chip on the shoulder aside, I think your question has been more that answered. No reason to launch into a personal tirade.
  • Options
    I'm from South America and While I would like to have a server closer to home for the same ping reasons as the OP. I think the reasons for not opening one go even beyond the ones stated here. Intrepid has to guarantee uptime on connection an servers and that is a lot harder to do on our countries the infrastructure is just not as good so they would have to overpay to get the same result for a server.
  • Options
    I am a german who moved to Brasil - i only play on European Servers - much more mature generally and less weirdos. And the differences in ping are minor (both are more or less shitty). 
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    I'm from South America and While I would like to have a server closer to home for the same ping reasons as the OP. I think the reasons for not opening one go even beyond the ones stated here. Intrepid has to guarantee uptime on connection an servers and that is a lot harder to do on our countries the infrastructure is just not as good so they would have to overpay to get the same result for a server.
    Thank you for your insight!
  • Options
    As stated by others if there is enough interest from South American communities and it is economically viable I see no reason Intrepid would not make South American servers. In regards to your bad blood comments, there is always going to be shitty people in any country who just say stupid generalizations about other people from other countries. I for one though see the game as a uniting factor between people from other countries, MMOs allow friendships to form regardless of race, country, sexuality, physical handicap, political affiliation, or class. Its the game that unites us for the common purpose of furthering our own experience through cooperation with others.
  • Options
    As stated by others if there is enough interest from South American communities and it is economically viable I see no reason Intrepid would not make South American servers. In regards to your bad blood comments, there is always going to be shitty people in any country who just say stupid generalizations about other people from other countries. I for one though see the game as a uniting factor between people from other countries, MMOs allow friendships to form regardless of race, country, sexuality, physical handicap, political affiliation, or class. Its the game that unites us for the common purpose of furthering our own experience through cooperation with others.
    The question is what does "economically viable" mean? perhaps I'm jaded coming from games that are published by huge companies, but that phrase choice does not inspire any confidence for me. It is almost always economically more viable to not have the server and just pander to the largest number of players at the expense of the smaller number.
    I very much agree, but one can't just throw people together and expect them to get along with no help.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    Economically viable means that paying Google to host the server at one of their regionally located datacenters costs money. I am going to use non-realistic numbers to illustrate the point. Google charges IS 10k USD/month to host the server and provide tech support for updating and ensuring that the server is online. IS charges people a 15$ sub fee. To break even IS needs 667 paying subscribers to cover just that cost. So fewer subs than that number and IS is losing money. Once again, I pulled those numbers out of my ass for costs, the only thing confirmed is the sub fee. Almost no game company hosts remote servers themselves anymore, it just is not worth it to pay for all the hardware, the cost of either hiring or transferring staff to lets say Australia, paying them to handle the issues that arise. It is much more cost effective to use cloud servers from the big boys like Google and send out your updates from head office.
    So if you want a dedicated server that is located near(ish) to you to reduce lag and other issues, show IS that it is worth the scratch they are going to have to pay. While Aiveleen may be all excited about Ashes, if people in his region don't put out the cash to make the game profitable to run, then they won't get those options. The same argument can be used for language localizations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/16/google-plans-to-build-3-new-underwater-cables-to-expand-cloud-business.html
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Economically viable means there is enough subscribers in the region to make providing a server there cost efficient. The regions supported thus far, were done based on where monetary support for the game has come from thus far. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791529601/ashes-of-creation-new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios/community  Looking at the supporter numbers from the top countries you can easily see why they have officially supported those regions, because those regions have shown the most support. If there was an influx of store packages bought in South America I am sure Intrepid would take notice. This isn't about a company forgetting to include a region, its simply about running a business, and if there is profit to be made I believe they would be inclined to include South America as a supported region.
  • Options
    Economically viable means there is enough subscribers in the region to make providing a server there cost efficient. The regions supported thus far, were done based on where monetary support for the game has come from thus far. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791529601/ashes-of-creation-new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios/community  Looking at the supporter numbers from the top countries you can easily see why they have officially supported those regions, because those regions have shown the most support. If there was an influx of store packages bought in South America I am sure Intrepid would take notice. This isn't about a company forgetting to include a region, its simply about running a business, and if there is profit to be made I believe they would be inclined to include South America as a supported region.
    Ok, thank you for the very good information.
  • Options
    Aiveleen said:
    Andergw said:
    Aiveleen said:

Someone got pissy. Eat some guacamole, it will pass.
  • Options
    Andergw said:
    Aiveleen said:
    Andergw said:
    Aiveleen said:

Someone got pissy. Eat some guacamole, it will pass.
    No, I felt my point wasn't understood so I expanded on it. I care about this issue because I've been to South America a few times, and I've seen how it is. I'm hardly going to desert the game over it though lol. I simply wanted to bring this to the attention of the devs: and seeing as it's been sitting on top of the forum for the past few days I'd say mission accomplished. I'm perfectly happy to just let the thread die now.
    You know what does make me "pissy"? you making fun of the things I care about.
  • Options
    Aiveleen said:
    You should never let anyone know what ticks you off in the internet  ;)
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    Aiveleen said:
    oh, but where would be the fun in that eh? make popcorn, before he finds a good comeback ;)
  • Options
    Aiveleen said:
    Santy182 said:
    Aiveleen said:
    oh, but where would be the fun in that eh? make popcorn, before he finds a good comeback ;)
    'Cause yours threw me off balance. Such Burn. Much humanitarian.
  • Options
    i say no. atleast not at launch or soon after. that would just take more resources. i dont want my games resources to be spread even further. i think it should be finished and polished before further region/server expansion should be considered
  • Options
    Not likely tho if there's actually a fanbase for it it might go the BDO route and later open up a server in that region 1 or 2 years later.
  • Options
    Soo, what´s up next? I dont know if are exacly necessaire arguing about why they dont put a SA server. I think we need more people of SA region, to prove, that is necessaire. 
  • Options
    Aiveleen said:
    Yes, I am from Uruguay and here if i play in a NA servr the ping is too high and if i want to play at a good ping i have to pay a lot of money on a better internet connection so its a great idea to do a south american server.
    Also, if a south american server its done, everyone is going to talk spanish or portuguese and it is not so dificult to talk with brazilians so we can have our oun community..
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    We should find or create a South American AoC community to bring people, we must find a way to make economically viable first, and then maybe we will achieve our goals to play with a decent ping.