Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

NPC's and Questlines

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited January 2018 in Dev Journal Reactions
Ok to start off everyone knows the system: kill mobs get experience or complete quests get experience.  But I can't for the life of me remember which MMO had this feature, but if an NPC kills another NPC/Player it would gain its own experience and over time level up. So thinking about how the Node system grows with the players. How about having the failure of the players affect the NPC's as well. And to take this a step further. Quests could also have this leveling process in which failures and abanded quests would allow the quest line to either increase in difficulty or either move to the next part of the NPC's Plans. which could even lead to a whole nope being overtaken by NPC's (until take back by players) because of a lack of player interest.  I believe that NPC's and Questlines that evolve and grow would be complementary to this MMO and might even help take it to a level not foreseen by the fans and critics.

Please Devs' tell me that something like this will be in this game!

Comments

• Options
    Nodes that are ignored due to lack of player interest revert to level 0 over time. The game that tried the whole "an npc will level up after killing a player" probably found out real soon that people will exploit such a system by suiciding on such npcs to push them to higher levels to get better loot or options.
  • Options
    Nodes that are ignored due to lack of player interest revert to level 0 over time. The game that tried the whole "an npc will level up after killing a player" probably found out real soon that people will exploit such a system by suiciding on such npcs to push them to higher levels to get better loot or options.

Not persay.
    It wasn't an official feature, and I do not know the game the OP refers to. However, many years ago, when I played Ragnarok Online, there were servers, or at least a server. That made mobs level up. It made them stronger too, to the point where they could even oneshot tanks. So hunters had to come in, spam Double Strafe until the boss was in range, and then fly wing out, regain SP (mana) and get back in. But the mobs NEVER dropped any more loot, not even a higher percentage on the ever elusive cards.This mostly happened on MvP type monsters (bosses) I do not remember it being any issue on normal monsters.

So what I am saying is. There are ways around that, and I suppose you could limit it too. Or just have them despawn after they become too strong, say 5~10 levels higher than base.
  • Options
    Ariatras said:

Not persay.
    It wasn't an official feature, and I do not know the game the OP refers to. However, many years ago, when I played Ragnarok Online, there were servers, or at least a server. That made mobs level up. It made them stronger too, to the point where they could even oneshot tanks. So hunters had to come in, spam Double Strafe until the boss was in range, and then fly wing out, regain SP (mana) and get back in. But the mobs NEVER dropped any more loot, not even a higher percentage on the ever elusive cards.This mostly happened on MvP type monsters (bosses) I do not remember it being any issue on normal monsters.

So what I am saying is. There are ways around that, and I suppose you could limit it too. Or just have them despawn after they become too strong, say 5~10 levels higher than base.
    sounds good + agree ^^
  • Options
    I believe the game was EverQuest.  Npc's would level up while fighting, if they killed you or your friends.
  • Options
    Not Everquest.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    @Rahod
    From what i can tell 
    • By default, each " mobs " will not have a " set level " , rather each NPC will have different level-ranges 
    via
    1st NPC = Lvl 3
    2nd NPC = Lvl 5
    3rd NPC = Lvl 2
    ( this is what i think )

There NPC A.I. is not quite focused on yet - so they might seem kinda dumb for now

From what i know
    • As the Node increases in Experience/ when the Node Lvls ... the NPC Opponents will respond to that - that the NPC LvLs & difficulty will change and amped-up in difficulty - creating a different Level-Range
    via
    1st NPC Lvl = 4
    2nd NPC Lvl = 9
    3rd NPC Lvl = 11

i.e. a randomized set of LvLs

I'd imagine that they'll Higher-lvls NPCs will still exist when Node LvL is 0 ... just not as prevalent/ " bountiful "  ( i.e. it might be rare to find a High-lvl NPC at Node LvL 0 )

Likewise, if/when the Node Lvls-up ... the Lower-lvls NPC will still exist, but the likelihood of seeing higher-lvls NPC will increase ... along with Lvls Higher than the previous one spawning randomly somewhere in the open-world.
    ( this includes Underground, Ground-Level and Above-Ground-Level )

So to answer your question ... " Yes, but not  quite "

Could NPC A.I. get smarter when the Node Lvls-up ? Or the NPC A.I. could learn as they fight against other players ? Thus causing the NPC to change Tactics on each new encounter ? These question ... are unknown/ not specified yet

NPC Opponents might be able to roam around freely as opposed to staying in one spot ... which could happen in due-time - but even this has yet to be seen ... technically due to this Image (below)

This World Boss was seen Outside the Village Node due to the Node’s Activity

• Options
    And if Mobs can freely roam around as opposed to remaining in one spot for all eternity ... each Mob encounter may not be just 3 . Very likely being more than 3 tbh

Because I'm hoping for NPC A.I. to be like " DarkFall: Rise of Agon " A.I. for NPCs ... because...  in DarkFall ... NPCs sometimes attacked before you even acknowledge they were there ... which is freaking sweet  <3
  • Options
    in ashes you don't kill mob, mob kills you ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    in ashes you don't kill mob, mob kills you ^^
    That's the Russian server.