Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Problem of Duplicating Items

Duplicating items (or "duping") is when players exploit a bug/mechanic of the game to instantly create a free copy of an item. It PvE games it is an annoyance that can ruin an in-game economy. In a PvP game like AoC it can ruin the entire game. If players can create 100 items in a few hours that were supposed to take a few weeks to make (for example, siege catapults), it will make the game all but unplayable. 

A prime candidate mechanic for duping exploits in this game is the "mail" system, particularly when your items are mailed to you after your building is destroyed.

The exact mechanic for duping items isn't really the point though. Players will find these exploits, and they will abuse them. These exploits will only need to be live for a matter of a few days for large 300+ person guilds to take full advantage of them.

Knowing duping is all but certain to occur, I hope IS has plans to counter it. The most simple brute force solution is to tag every item worth duping with a unique ID with encoded data detailing who made it, when it was crafted, what server it was crafted on, and the current owner of the item. When the server detects two items with identical IDs, one of the items is permanently deleted from the game world. The ID is logged so action can be taken against players responsible for mass duping.

There are likely much more elegant solutions, but "we will just make sure there are no ways to duplicate items" isn't a viable option. There are too many players who are too good at identifying and abusing these exploits for this game to not have a way to detect and correct the inevitable cases that will surely arise. 

Comments

• Options
    Nope, they have no plans to combat game breaking bugs. Just like during the livestream where they said they have no plans to balance combat. And no plans to optimize the game, or combat bots and gold sellers.
  • Options
    Nope, they have no plans to combat game breaking bugs. Just like during the livestream where they said they have no plans to balance combat. And no plans to optimize the game, or combat bots and gold sellers.
    Clever. 

All games claim to combat those issues...with varying levels of success.
  • Options
    And you pointing out the obvious is helping them how? Yes, there is a plan in place. They think it is a good plan. Nobody is coming into this thinking "Hey, let's do this half-assed, cause that always works." Maybe they will fail or stumble in the beginning. Making "If it were me, in my expert opinion, I would do this!" posts don't help anyone except those looking for ego validation. If you do the research you find the quotes and video that specifically mentions steps they are taking, vendors they plan on using, and so many other things.
  • Options
    I say we wait for the game to come out and see how that goes. :smiley:

In the meantime though we can all enjoy Monster Hunter Online and Sea of Thieves :D

MAYBE Anthem . . . but the publisher behind it :neutral:
  • Options
    Ugh...pc master race here...so August for MHO. Was in the SoT Alpha, fun game and smooth, but you really need a group to play, and alpha wasn't that conducive to grouping. Anthem going to wait for the inevitable loot box/p2w outrage that is guaranteed from EA.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    nscheffel said:
    Duplicating items (or "duping") is when players exploit a bug/mechanic of the game to instantly create a free copy of an item. It PvE games it is an annoyance that can ruin an in-game economy. In a PvP game like AoC it can ruin the entire game. If players can create 100 items in a few hours that were supposed to take a few weeks to make (for example, siege catapults), it will make the game all but unplayable. 

I wouldn't worry about it man at least not yet. With the node system placing massive importance on power balance between players, I'm sure they are keeping this kind of thing in mind constantly. And besides, we have hella testing phases still. Just have faith!
  • Options
    glad to hear sea of thieves as group oriented as they made it out to be, got so many friends that wanna kill each other and so many groups to be made :smile:

• Options
    I have mixed feelings about players that exploit said systems.

On one hand the old phrase "if you didn't cheat you didn't want it bad enough" comes to mind.

On the other, I don't see the point. It's a video game with hopefully no play-to-cash mechanics. Sure your character can gain all that extra gold, as mentioned tanking the economy of that product (supply/demand and all), and buy cool new gear.

However, if having the coolest gear is all someone is going to play this game for, I just feel sad for them.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    I have mixed feelings about players that exploit said systems.

On one hand the old phrase "if you didn't cheat you didn't want it bad enough" comes to mind.

On the other, I don't see the point. It's a video game with hopefully no play-to-cash mechanics. Sure your character can gain all that extra gold, as mentioned tanking the economy of that product (supply/demand and all), and buy cool new gear.

However, if having the coolest gear is all someone is going to play this game for, I just feel sad for them.
    gotta play for the coolest gear AND all the mini pets
  • Options
    Interesting, wasn't aware that bugs are created in software development and that the studio has zero control to affect the game after launch and are at the mercy of the player base.
  • Options
    And you pointing out the obvious is helping them how? Yes, there is a plan in place. They think it is a good plan. Nobody is coming into this thinking "Hey, let's do this half-assed, cause that always works." Maybe they will fail or stumble in the beginning. Making "If it were me, in my expert opinion, I would do this!" posts don't help anyone except those looking for ego validation. If you do the research you find the quotes and video that specifically mentions steps they are taking, vendors they plan on using, and so many other things.
    Ahh, I see we’ve identified the self proclaimed resident know it all on these boards. 

If it were me, that is the type of system I would implement. If you don’t think it’s a helpful suggestion, either present your own better suggestion, or ignore the thread. Either would be more helpful than what you just contributed. 

Irony: calling a thread unhelpful while failing to contribute anything helpful. 

Well done sir!
  • Options
    Thank you for your feedback! It will be given all the weight and consideration it is due.
  • Options
    So making a suggestion to implement something already implemented is valuable feedback?