Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will there be a king of the land?

With all the Guilds and towns being controlled by players, I got to thinking will we see a king popup in the game? Someone that will control a few nodes through other players. Be it setup that way in the end, or it's something that happens as an agreement, will we see a King in AoC?

Comments

• Options
    I suppose it's possible there is a secret group of mayors that report to one person making them like a hidden king.

As of now though, no confirmed ability to rule more than one node, no confirmed king. Although the lore and most of the history is top secret!
  • Options
    Yes, it will be Pooka.
  • Options
    Yes, you can be the mayor/king/sultan/potentate of only one node. But here is the thing. As your node gains levels, its zone of influence grows beyond the node boundaries. Suppressing the development of nodes immediately surrounding it, those nodes will fall under the "rule" of the highest level node whose zoi is influencing it. Not yet confirmed, but probably a level 3 node under the zoi of a level 5 will kick part of its tax revenue up to the level 5, and activities in the level 3 (exp and resource generation) will go to the level 5 once the level 3 is suppressed. So since the level 3 village will have a "mayor", ultimately they will be kicking up the foodchain to the "king". We know at the scientific metro stage that the zoi controlling node may choose to build fast travel stations in those nodes under its control. Or the economic node build linked auction houses. And so on.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    Yes, you can be the mayor/king/sultan/potentate of only one node. But here is the thing. As your node gains levels, its zone of influence grows beyond the node boundaries. Suppressing the development of nodes immediately surrounding it, those nodes will fall under the "rule" of the highest level node whose zoi is influencing it. Not yet confirmed, but probably a level 3 node under the zoi of a level 5 will kick part of its tax revenue up to the level 5, and activities in the level 3 (exp and resource generation) will go to the level 5 once the level 3 is suppressed. So since the level 3 village will have a "mayor", ultimately they will be kicking up the foodchain to the "king". We know at the scientific metro stage that the zoi controlling node may choose to build fast travel stations in those nodes under its control. Or the economic node build linked auction houses. And so on.

This part I know, but what's to stop a group of friends from controlling huge areas of land, and naming one of them as King of the land. Yes your the mayor of said town, but lets say you get 5 friends, and their as leaders of 5 different guilds, and each of these 5 guilds control a top level town, and the surrounding areas. In this setup, they can name one of them King of the land, and there by control what happens in the game to a point. If there are 5 guilds under one banner, this would be a hard nut to crack, if your a solo guild trying to gain a foothold in the land.
  • Options
    Well I know there are going to be actual Kings/Queen in the game with the castle system which will be separate from being a Mayor. ( Though I am not sure if I can be both a King and a Mayor )

• Options
    Well I know there are going to be actual Kings/Queen in the game with the castle system which will be separate from being a Mayor. ( Though I am not sure if I can be both a King and a Mayor )

The castles are mainly for the guilds, as it stands now, but I was thinking. What will happen once a few guilds start to work together on the one server? Will they name one of the guild leaders the King of them all?
  • Options
    for what we Know about the game I would say It's possible through community means like you said. Not through game mechanics that I know of. As for whether there will be or not only time will tell since I don't think there is going to be in game mechanics to prevent an Illuminati like group form forming inside the game's society and controlling everything from the shadows.
  • Options
    Considering there are already alliances forming and breaking, I am sure there will be unofficial actions done in the game such as trying to control nodes or areas. 
  • Options
    That would make sense. Nice thought 
  • Options
    Granthor said:
    With all the Guilds and towns being controlled by players, I got to thinking will we see a king popup in the game? Someone that will control a few nodes through other players. Be it setup that way in the end, or it's something that happens as an agreement, will we see a King in AoC?
    Well to be honest it already is going to be in the game as it wouldn't make sense otherwise. No matter how hard Steven tries to put in artificial barriers to prevent this.
  • Options
    depends on the guilds and stuff if the king .....he need a lot of citizens in said node to keep control if node has no citizens it will not keep growing from what i understand anyways.could he do it sure but one wrong move and all those people might decide said node not worth it and move to another ending the king node 
  • Options
    well i want that kind of thing to happen because 1.) my friend who i told him about this game would really want to start his own empire and declare a World War 2 scenario so seeing a D-day scenario with swords,bows,and magic. And 2.) i want to take out someone who rules a massive empire like an assassin. (Spoiler) my class is a Shadowblade so yeah i'm going for that kind of thing.
  • Options
    I will be king I need to find myself a queen ;) 
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    @Nemesis2699 Well you can tell your friend that it might end up like, as crazy as it sounds, like Game of Thrones. Multiple guilds are actually working with the one group or person in the metropolis and if you don't have good charisma, then don't expect to make it that far.
  • Options
    @Tomoyuki well then looks like I gotta work out how to kill without even starting a fight cause you know assassinations and subterfuge stuff but for my friend who will be like the Hitler of AoC, I can see he is so dedicated to be the ruthless dictator.
  • Options
    The Mayor position in the node seems to be akin to a king, I guess it's just a matter of what you want to call it.
  • Options
    @Nemesis2699 Well good luck. I know from previous experience that it is a minority like 1 out of 1000 (not sure exact numbers but very small) that is able to lead a large amount of people. It is one thing to lead people in real life, but a whole different beast in my view to get people to sacrifice while paying for a sub.