Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A better battleground system like other games have.

I asked this question for the last steam but it never got selected. So throwing it out for the community to discuss. My question for the stream was:
Will AOC ever introduce a battleground similar and even better then GW2 WvW game mode. 

I would image we can have server vs server fights. This would add to the scope IS has in mind already.
Tell us what you think.

Comments

• Options
    The less instancing there is in pvp outside arenas the better imo. Server v Server fights would not be the kind of meaningful pvp they are looking to create unless there is some super reward for taking down another server's metropolis which is very doubtful.
  • Options
    They already addressed this last May or June. They said there will be no server cross-over. It was part of a question about how easy it would be to transfer characters between servers (very difficult, prohibitively expensive to deter) and pvp between servers was a no. The main gist was that they didn't want people roaming cross-realm to pvp.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    One thing GW2 system and pvp was really terrible in my opinion so please no.
  • Options
    Fleelix said:
    One thing GW2 system and pvp was really terrible in my opinion so please no.
    By your statement it seems you played both modes when the game was released. Both modes improved over the years. But having said that the game mode could use a better system of play.
  • Options
    They already addressed this last May or June. They said there will be no server cross-over
    I was not talking about character cross-over that is a different subject. I am talking about the game mode.
  • Options
    As of now I don't know of any plans to make a battleground game mode. I can't say it won't be done, just that I have not heard anything of it.

I think, if you're lucky, cross-server characters might be able to battle in instanced Arena's. That's speculation. As for anything outside of that being cross-server, I agree with others here and believe it will be perma-separate.
  • Options
    I don't like "battlegrounds" that take players out of the real world. That's what GW2 does, and I'd hate to see too much of it here. None, if I had my wish :)  

I think AoC has to be careful not to pull a WildStar - spreading the dev resources super thin trying to check a box on every MMO feature imaginable - and even if it achieves that, it spreads the players who are interested in any one activity very thin as well.

I think they should focus and throw some stuff out he window until well after post-launch (the monster tokens system for example()

• Options
    Agreeing with @Lethality - Battlegrounds do seem to take players out of the real world which makes it more difficult to find PVP. Hopefully with the rules of engagement they've designed, open world pvp will be more meaningful to avoid mindless ganking/griefing.
  • Options
    Based on what's been presented of the vision so far the Server vs Server wouldn't be compatible. Each server is supposed to be it's in little world and in that world will be where all the meaningful PvP will take place.

Sieges will be the order of the day.
  • Options
    Lethality said:
    I don't like "battlegrounds" that take players out of the real world. That's what GW2 does, and I'd hate to see too much of it here. None, if I had my wish :)  

I think AoC has to be careful not to pull a WildStar - spreading the dev resources super thin trying to check a box on every MMO feature imaginable - and even if it achieves that, it spreads the players who are interested in any one activity very thin as well.

I think they should focus and throw some stuff out he window until well after post-launch (the monster tokens system for example()

They have already said that any stretch goals that can't be met by launch will come later. Monster coins, while you may not want them or feel they are an important system, are part of the "core." Can't see them pissing off the 5000 or so people that get them as part of their packages to work on the stock exchange instead.

• Options
    Battlegrounds don't sound too good, really it would be enough to have large scale battles in the actual game 'instance' not a separate one.
  • Options
    @NightshadeRaven To be honest I am curious as why it would be nice to include server vs server content. So far they are planning on siege mechanics if it works would in my opinion suffice enough. This doesn't include also arenas that are competitive and the open world content, so I feel like adding server vs server is a bit unnecessary as they are making it sound like they are going Black Desert Online/Eve Online route with player agency.
  • Options
    Tomoyuki said:
    @NightshadeRaven To be honest I am curious as why it would be nice to include server vs server content. So far they are planning on siege mechanics if it works would in my opinion suffice enough. This doesn't include also arenas that are competitive and the open world content, so I feel like adding server vs server is a bit unnecessary as they are making it sound like they are going Black Desert Online/Eve Online route with player agency.
    From your comment I can tell you just like to PVE, but as we all know this game is not just PVE, it has PVP in the PVE environment. As far as siege mechanics goes no one has seen it to comment, as far as I am concerned its still on the drawing boards. By the way Eve Online never had server vs server I dont know where you getting that idea from.

If they are going to make it like Eve Online your going to be in for a huge shock. So I dont think you can compare to what was said about other games.
    If they have the siege content in an instance then the pvp is away from the pve area so to speak but after the battle the pve environment will have an impact on it.

• Options
    @NightshadeRaven You really should reread the quote you posted. I said they are going the Black Desert Online/ Eve route with "player agency" I will rephrase it again by saying they aren't going that route with server vs server period.  I well aware that Eve didn't as I played that game for quite a bit. Also you can compare mmo's if you limit it to certain features, which in this case it would be the fact that Intrepid is taking player run organizations and actually creating in game mechanics to support it. 

As for siege and being instanced. I have said it in a few threads that it is a concern as really they are just putting in random answers and so nothing is really coherent.
  • Options
    As for siege and being instanced. I have said it in a few threads that it is a concern as really they are just putting in random answers and so nothing is really coherent.
    Like I said the siege mechanics are still on the drawing boards if we are still getting random answers. 
  • Options
    Tomoyuki said:
    From your comment I can tell you just like to PVE, but as we all know this game is not just PVE, it has PVP in the PVE environment. As far as siege mechanics goes no one has seen it to comment, as far as I am concerned its still on the drawing boards. By the way Eve Online never had server vs server I dont know where you getting that idea from.

If they are going to make it like Eve Online your going to be in for a huge shock. So I dont think you can compare to what was said about other games.
    If they have the siege content in an instance then the pvp is away from the pve area so to speak but after the battle the pve environment will have an impact on it.

I just spent 15 minutes staring at your post, rereading it over and over and you aren't making sense at all. 

@Tomoyuki 's post didn't indicate if there was any preference to PVE or PVP at all, and only pointing out that Intrepid's design philosophy is to pit players against other players within their own server where they compete for limited space and resources. That's where the EVE reference is put in where it's one big server for all players in the same community to compete among each other.

http://www.aocwiki.net/PvP#Sieges

Siege mechanics have been explained in coherent detail where there is no instance at all, and everything happens in-world. Having played Eve for 12 years and participated in many of its major conflicts, the planned mechanics of having timers and such is more or less similar to what EVE offers with POS and Citadel mechanics. 

Once again, going back to Intrepid's stated desire to promote competition among players in the same server, Server vs Server (or in GW2 terms, WvW) is unnecessary at best. 
  • Options
    I just spent 15 minutes staring at your post, rereading it over and over and you aren't making sense at all.
    What word did you not understand, there were so many.
  • Options
    What word did you not understand, there were so many.
    The whole thing.

It's plain to see that you've not done your homework on Intrepid's clearly stated design goals, and all of your points are the product of an active but very inept imagination. Please go back and do your reading before continuing to make a mockery of yourself.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Davlos said:
    The whole thing.

It's plain to see that you've not done your homework on Intrepid's clearly stated design goals, and all of your points are the product of an active but very inept imagination. Please go back and do your reading before continuing to make a mockery of yourself.
    Just because you write something on a wiki does not mean its correct or accurate. yes thats what they are design goals nothing there is set in stone. Things can change at the last minute. Things in the game have already changed from what was seen at pax and in the Alpha. So dont be so condescending and go learn how development works. Also my imagination is fine and healthy and at least I dont suffer delusions of grandeur.

Furthermore your gone off topic, please post pertaining to the subject of the topic.

• Options
    Davlos said:
    The whole thing.

Just because you write something on a wiki does not mean its correct or accurate. yes thats what they are design goals nothing there is set in stone. Things can change at the last minute. Things in the game have already changed from what was seen at pax and in the Alpha. So dont be so condescending and go learn how development works. Also my imagination is fine and healthy and at least I dont suffer delusions of grandeur.

Furthermore your gone off topic, please post pertaining to the subject of the topic.

I've been involved in enough projects to understand the constant tension between design philosophy vs what makes the game fun since 2006. There's a stark difference between miscellaneous changes (visible castbar for quicktime in PAX vs invisible quicktime indicator as seen in Alpha 0 stream) and asking for putting the whole concept of how the game works on its head. 

Also, I didn't write the wiki - the authors have made reference to primary sources and it's as close to the facts as anyone can get. You're entitled to your opinions, but the facts are immutable to your bleating assertions. 

To reiterate, asking for an instanced battleground mode is bunk. It takes away from the core concept of meaningful conflict among players, and having an instanced battlegrounds where the results are entirely divorced from the rest of the game world is hardly contributing to meaningful conflict.

There already are arenas and such planned for the open world itself, and that will satisfy the itch for organized and tournament play. A brief lookup of your guild history only shows Guild Wars 2, and PVP in that game cannot be more casual. If you want a primer on how meaningful PVP plays out, go play EVE since BDO and Archeage are more or less dead. You can seek out ANZA if you can't find anyone to join up with.

• Options
    Don't start arguing now, take it to chat if you need to.
  • Options
    Isn't the whole game idea one big "world" vs "world". I don't really see any reason to introduce another largest scale ongoing pvp instance.
    I do want arenas, they serve as a good small scale quick practice tool and bragging rights.
    I do want to see some meaningful battlegrounds that fit into the world. Might even have an actual impact on the surroundings.
    With that, I mean I Do not need another capture the flag/hold points run of the mill check that box thing, but something like huttball from SW:ToR. It was an amazing and fun addition you can pass your time with.
    So if they can come up with a good battleground please have them do it and sure as hell instance it.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Don't start arguing now, take it to chat if you need to.
    Thanks @AutumnLeaf for this comment. I refuse to entertain them trying to have the last word.
  • Options
    @NightshadeRaven I do apologize if there was confusion with my recent reply as for some reason the editing was very very poor. The general idea of how sieges will work is set in stone though, the issue is the details tend be a bit incoherent as it isn't on a blog post. So certain details of hows sieges will work might change, but they won't do server vs server, as that was done in all other mmos like Guild Wars to compensate for the lack of a macro objective focused pvp mode.

@Davlos The instanced battleground is something I brought up as I did expect Eve style pvp siege mechanics. The issue is that the developers have discussed that they might gate the amount of players participating in a zone over the fears of some people, on zerging, which led me to believe it is going to be kind of instanced if they are going to put in artificial limitations. My criticisms of the game is mainly the artificial barriers that might be erected to force players to play a certain way.