Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Make adventuring fun again!!

First timer here! Looking forward to being a continual part of this community!

This is really for a new idea, the category feature wasn't working on the forums which prevented me from posting in New Idea!

Why do we all like watching the weather? Its unpredictable, intriguing and certainly at times suspenseful.  AOC is obviously building upon a dynamically created world. When you adventure out into the open areas in most MMOs you beeline towards your destination particularly after you have run the path and seen the view several times. You tend not to pay attention to the cow or MOB standing next to tree that has become commonplace. What’s missing is what we like about the weather, something that’s always changing! I’ve always felt that exploration in MMO is a core part of the enjoyment especially given the time the developers have taken to focus on the landscape.  The flaw in many MMOs is that there is no reason or purpose for me to visit that area among the tree again unless forced by a quest or a specifically placed resource. I would love to see random items, those that are so random they aren’t victim to simply looking at a fan base database to determine where and when they will spawn.

Think of events that occur while no player is there to witness it. Two NPCs battle it out with a MOB, The NPCs die.

They NPCs don’t just disappear, they leave loot and bodies/skellies’ on the ground. An unsuspecting, adventurous player comes across the remains of the battle to find items lying on the ground for examining!  You take the time to adventure to a small cove in the rock area next to a once occupied cave. Sitting against a wall of stone is a weapon. It wasn’t there the first time you ventured through this area. What happened? Maybe it was left, maybe purposefully. Either way your efforts for your curiosity have paid off!

These are just a few things I could think of as part of making adventuring through the landscape and actual immersion in the environment fun again particularly those areas you have already traveled. Just some thoughts and I have tons of them!!

- Boobot

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    Welcome to the community mate! Unpredictability certainly does add to the fun, even something as small as a storm in Sea of Thieves can make a quick voyage into a nightmare!
  • Options
    I guess I should say welcome ? xD I read a bit of the post (hate reading those blocks soz T_T) and well I can agree with the scenery being kind of boring when it remains the same in most games, the thrill of exploring new places is kind of non-existant since most places look similar to each other, Ashes seems to go for an approach where players have to explore the place by themselves and with the changing of seasons every place will look different.
  • Options
    @boobot Well I am under the impression that just harvesting resources on the map will cause changes. Example a couple guilds cutting down trees to make siege equipment and free holds just popping up randomly on the land. Not sure if they are going to go that far with random interactions that players may or may not see.
  • Options
    @boobot Welcome! I too like dynamic changes in the world and rewarded exploration. Whether it is myself, other players, or random events that happen and shape that world. The weather, season, and day and night cycles are a favorite of mine. When I mod my Skyrim the weather and random events are some of my favorites. How the nodes develop and change will be so interesting to see. I'm also interested in the trade and economy with these caravans traveling between nodes. I also remember something about the possibilities of a bounty hunter system to hunt down rogues :D Or perhaps I'll be a pirate and be the one hunted :o  It's exciting I hope you enjoy your time leading up to the game!
  • Options
    @boobot YESS. Another member that sees the importance of adventuring. The forums have talked in length about this, so don't be disheartened if not many people reply here. I
    Some ways that adventuring could liven up would be by, (and this is the most basic idea) putting random events that occur in various places. The Ashes team has already stated that this will be a reality, events along the line of world mobs attacking towns or hordes of skeletons battling players are what you can expect.

HOWEVER, for me, its not always about fighting something... its about the THRILL of exploration. Going somewhere and expecting.... nothing! Now, I understand that a game can only do so much until you've seen all the events and secrets that the dev team put in... but, the point isn't that we want and endless adventure, say like "No Man's Sky" what we want is MEANINGFUL, fun experiences. So, the world should have at least 50+ different events and there should be variation depending on the skill level or class of the player... (think Skyrim)