Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes of PvP

Apologies if this has been answered too many times before but games change as they go through development and testing and I wanted to ask once under the current version of the game before deciding how much to pledge. Or perhaps I should say what to buy in the store I haven't seen the term pledge used much here.

I read through the description of AoC and skimmed through many of the forum threads. I have the impression that while there is definitely PvP in the game one can play the game and experience almost all of the content without having to PvP. It is an optional activity triggered by going into certain areas and/or flagging. Unlike e.g. Camelot Unchained which will be a purely PvP game (which Dark Ages of Camelot was not though it emphasized PvP). Or Archeage where you were subject to PvP after a certain level even if you wanted to just quest and explore in peace.

Is this more or less correct. A carebear can enjoy the great bulk of the game without worrying about being ganked unless she accidentally flags or goes into a PvP area? Including building/owning a house if careful about the location?

Thanks. This is my number one issue I didn't even try Archeage and am not looking at CU even after 4 happy years in DAOC because (feel free to flame me) I am a dedicated carebear.

Comments

• Options
    I haven't read up much on the subject of PVP but I hope these links can somehow help you.

http://ashesofcreation.wikia.com/wiki/PvP

http://ashesofcreation.wikia.com/wiki/Corruption
  • Options
    As @AutumnLeaf has said there are wiki resources giving information about PvP in Ashes of Creation. Here are two more:
  • Options
    And in short no. You are always subject to pvp activities. There is a mechanic in place to not let it devolve into mindless grieving. Its supposed to be meaningful conflict not mindless bashing like some other game examples.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    If you own a freehold and the node it's in is being sieged, it would behoove you to help out in any way you can. 

Hopefully there are ways to help defend against a siege that don't involve killing enemy players...like farming resources or some other contribution.
  • Options

"...and quests to help develop the defenses of the node."

• Options
    Plenty of non PvP to enjoy. Crafting, exploring, gathering, questing and dungeons just off of the top of my head. Make a few friends for caravan runs and you'll be fine. 👍
  • Options
    <And in short no. You are always subject to pvp activities.<

So by not flagging I am not immune to PvP attacks I am just a noncombatant so that griefing and ganking me costs the perpetrator more? Eeek.  From all the other MMOs I've played I read not-flagging as giving immunity outside of PvP areas. Thanks.
  • Options
    There are plenty of non-PVP activites to enjoy, however, you are subject to PVP while doing most of them.

Out gathering?  You can be ganked
    Out exploring?  You can be ganked
    Out questing?  Yes, you can be ganked.

The good thing is, that unlike other games the corruption system (Penalty for ganking) is pretty severe.